Unschooling

I'm not sure why many of you have turned this into a philosophical debate about "higher" education, which I agree with Skull is highly overrated.

The point here is that these kids aren't even learning the basics.

All the textbooks in the local library don't mean shit if the kid can't fucking read in the first place. And if he can't add, subtract, multiply and divide, he's gonna have a helluva time teaching himself calculus.

Who needs the basics? Why do pole dancers need to read?

Skull has discovered that MANY without traditional educations are VERY creative.

It's the truth though isn't it?

BTW I didn't learn to read in school did you?

I was reading before I went to school. i knew the alphabet and how to count before i attended grammar school didn't you?

Do you have kids and if so did they only learn things after they were enrolled in a government school?

I'm not sure why many of you have turned this into a philosophical debate about "higher" education, which I agree with Skull is highly overrated.

All the textbooks in the local library don't mean shit if the kid can't fucking read in the first place. And if he can't add, subtract, multiply and divide, he's gonna have a helluva time teaching himself calculus.

Skull has discovered that MANY without traditional educations are VERY creative.

I was reading before I went to school. i knew the alphabet and how to count before i attended grammar school didn't you?

Do you have kids and if so did they only learn things after they were enrolled in a government school?

Yes, I learned to read before I went to school too. And why??? Because my parents taught me. Had they done this new aged unschooling crap, that probably would not have been the case.

btw: You're the only one trying to make this about "government" schools. I have no problem with homeschooling. But I think you do your child a grave injustice by not teaching them anything and not allowing anyone else to either.

Last edited:

That's the whole point here, Skull. These parents who believe in "unschooling" aren't teaching their kids the basics. They aren't teaching them much of anything at all except to do whatever the hell they please and there are no consequences. This isn't a defense of the traditional public school over all other forms of education, but rather that there has to be some kind of real education going on - not just turning 'em loose.

Yes, I learned to read before I went to school too. And why??? Because my parents taught me. Had they done this new aged unschooling crap, that probably would not have been the case.

And back full circle.

Their kids and what they teach or do not teach them are none of your fucking business.

BTW where did I say I ever agreed with this particular method?

I just refuse to judge others for what they do in their private lives.

And back full circle.

Their kids and what they teach or do not teach them are none of your fucking business.

:rofl:

You're such a tightass bull shit artist. :lol:

Like you've never had an opinion about something this isn't technically "your business." :rolleyes:

And btw: I never said these people shouldn't be allowed to inflict this particular type of abuse on their children, but I'm still entitled to my opinion that it is wrong.

And back full circle.

Like you've never had an opinion about something this isn't technically "your business." :rolleyes:

And btw: I never said these people shouldn't be allowed to inflict this particular type of abuse on their children, but I'm still entitled to my opinion that it is wrong.

Opinions are like assholes.

I don't see why anyone would even give a flying fuck about what someone they do not know teaches or does not teach their kids.

I am not labeling as right or wrong. I merely make the statement that many children who are the products of nontraditional teaching methods and schools do just fine and that somehow makes me anti education. You have no idea what these kids will learn or not do you? I sure as hell don't and it's none of my business.

If I had a vested personal interest I might consider it justified to place a value judgment on the parents but I don't so i won't

And back full circle.

I don't see why anyone would even give a flying fuck about what someone they do not know teaches or does not teach their kids.

I am not labeling as right or wrong. I merely make the statement that many children who are the products of nontraditional teaching methods and schools do just fine and that somehow makes me anti education. You have no idea what these kids will learn or not do you? I sure as hell don't and it's none of my business.

If I had a vested personal interest I might consider it justified to place a value judgment on the parents but I don't so i won't

I repeat...

I repeat...

I've posted enough here and if you can find me making the kind of judgments on right or wrong that you do when it comes to the private life of another please feel free to find where i have done so.

Then maybe you could laugh.

I can laugh at your bullshit all I want Skull and you shouldn't have any opinion about it. Afterall, it's none of your fucking business what I find funny. :rofl:

I can laugh at your bullshit all I want Skull and you shouldn't have any opinion about it. Afterall, it's none of your fucking business what I find funny. :rofl:

If it is me it is my business. But go ahead an laugh because I know you can't find even one instance of me passing judgment on the personal choices of another.

That's the whole point here, Skull. These parents who believe in "unschooling" aren't teaching their kids the basics. They aren't teaching them much of anything at all except to do whatever the hell they please and there are no consequences. This isn't a defense of the traditional public school over all other forms of education, but rather that there has to be some kind of real education going on - not just turning 'em loose.

Sing it sister! :clap2:

"Unschooling" is basically the same thing our public schools are doing, just on a different level, in a different location, under different "rules". Ie, there are NO rules in unschooling, vs. arbitary and inflexible rules in the public schools.

My daughter is suspended today. Why? She didn't go to Saturday School because, which she got for having 7 tardies to her classes.

Out of school suspension for 7 tardies! :eek: OMG....they weren't even this rigid and inflexible when I went to HS almost 30 years ago.

We have no car at the moment. School is 25 miles away, and aside from walking how the hell was I going to get her there at 8 am on Saturday (no I am NOT going to pay $100 for a cab ride, nor was I going to walk with her the 25 miles). No bus runs to the school on Saturday.

Did the Asst. Principal want to work with me and give her IN SCHOOL suspension? Hell NO. Did he even want to discuss an alternate arrangement? HELL NO. He said it was inexusable and she would just have to do her time, and he hung up on me.

Even the Master Sgt. in NJROTC was verklempt by this--he was prepared to give her extra PT for the month of May as alternate punishment. He assured me (and my daughter) that she wouldn't be suspended and that he would work it out with the Asst. Principal in light of our circumstances.

HELL NO...rigid, inflexible...and she's got her butt plopped on the couch watching TV right now.

Yeah. Public school has a LOT in common with the lazy parents who don't teach anything and have no rules at all. They're NUTZ and they DON'T want to EDUCATE.

Because they're LAZY.

Yes, I mean, from what I hear, where's the math lessons?

Even if you aren't a super genius who goes all the way to grad-school level calculus, you need at least the BASIC levels of math. I mean, how are you going to prepare the family budget? Know how much money to spend on vacation and how much to put away for another time?

If it is me it is my business. But go ahead an laugh because I know you can't find even one instance of me passing judgment on the personal choices of another.

Glad to know you're not passing judgment on me for my personal choice to laugh at your pompous bullshit and complete absence of a sense of humor. :thup:

"Unschooling" is basically the same thing our public schools are doing, just on a different level, in a different location, under different "rules". Ie, there are NO rules in unschooling, vs. arbitary and inflexible rules in the public schools.

My daughter is suspended today. Why? She didn't go to Saturday School because, which she got for having 7 tardies to her classes.

Out of school suspension for 7 tardies! :eek: OMG....they weren't even this rigid and inflexible when I went to HS almost 30 years ago.

We have no car at the moment. School is 25 miles away, and aside from walking how the hell was I going to get her there at 8 am on Saturday (no I am NOT going to pay $100 for a cab ride, nor was I going to walk with her the 25 miles). No bus runs to the school on Saturday.

Did the Asst. Principal want to work with me and give her IN SCHOOL suspension? Hell NO. Did he even want to discuss an alternate arrangement? HELL NO. He said it was inexusable and she would just have to do her time, and he hung up on me.

Even the Master Sgt. in NJROTC was verklempt by this--he was prepared to give her extra PT for the month of May as alternate punishment. He assured me (and my daughter) that she wouldn't be suspended and that he would work it out with the Asst. Principal in light of our circumstances.

HELL NO...rigid, inflexible...and she's got her butt plopped on the couch watching TV right now.

Yeah. Public school has a LOT in common with the lazy parents who don't teach anything and have no rules at all. They're NUTZ and they DON'T want to EDUCATE.

Because they're LAZY.

At the risk of pissing you off and getting neg repped, I don't see the similarities between the lazy parents unschooling their kids and your daughter's public school. Sounds like her school has standards that she is choosing to ignore and now she is suffering the standard consequences. I'd be kicking my son's butt harder than the school is if he had seven tardies and receiving discipline from the school for it. Like my dad told me when I was in school. You get swats at school, I'll wear you out when you get home. I never got swats.

Because they're LAZY.

At the risk of pissing you off and getting neg repped, I don't see the similarities between the lazy parents unschooling their kids and your daughter's public school. Sounds like her school has standards that she is choosing to ignore and now she is suffering the standard consequences. I'd be kicking my son's butt harder than the school is if he had seven tardies and receiving discipline from the school for it. Like my dad told me when I was in school. You get swats at school, I'll wear you out when you get home. I never got swats.

You know what? I'm normally like you. But...you should understand, she is one of a school of THREE THOUSAND high school kids. That's not *late to school* 7 times, that's late to individual classes *7* times over the entire school year.

They have 5 minutes between classes to get there AND...they gotta cover a campus the size of a small university to get there. There is NO WAY to get to class on time with that many kids and that large of a campus. On Parents Night, we were given our kids schedule to follow--complete with the allotted 5 minutes between class and *I* couldn't do it. I was late to every class.

I'm not going to punish her because 1) *I* totaled our car (she would have gone to Saturday School had I not killed the car) and 2) because *I* couldn't get to her classes on time to save my life, how do they expect her to?

Ridiculous to give her OUT OF SCHOOL SUSPENSION when there were so many other, better and more creative alternatives available to the lazy AP, who doesn't know how to use his own head and think out of the box.

THAT is what is wrong with our public schools these days.

Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Because they're LAZY.

JEEEEEZZZUUUSSSSS H. CHRIST on a pogo stick Jeny!!!! What kinda demon seeds you raising anyway?????:lol::lol::lol::eek:

Because they're LAZY.

JEEEEEZZZUUUSSSSS H. CHRIST on a pogo stick Jeny!!!! What kinda demon seeds you raising anyway?????:lol::lol::lol::eek:

:eusa_eh:

yeah, I'm really shocked.

Because they're LAZY.

You know what? I'm normally like you. But...you should understand, she is one of a school of THREE THOUSAND high school kids. That's not *late to school* 7 times, that's late to individual classes *7* times over the entire school year.

They have 5 minutes between classes to get there AND...they gotta cover a campus the size of a small university to get there. There is NO WAY to get to class on time with that many kids and that large of a campus. On Parents Night, we were given our kids schedule to follow--complete with the allotted 5 minutes between class and *I* couldn't do it. I was late to every class.

I'm not going to punish her because 1) *I* totaled our car (she would have gone to Saturday School had I not killed the car) and 2) because *I* couldn't get to her classes on time to save my life, how do they expect her to?

Ridiculous to give her OUT OF SCHOOL SUSPENSION when there were so many other, better and more creative alternatives available to the lazy AP, who doesn't know how to use his own head and think out of the box.

THAT is what is wrong with our public schools these days.

Ridiculous. :rolleyes:
:clap2:

If I were late to class on purpose to screw up in school, I'd get it from my Dad, sure. But if I were in your daughter's situation, he'd probably be giving those in the school swats on their hides!

Because they're LAZY.

Good kids, actually!

It's just that there are 2,998 others on the same campus with them that won't get the hell out of their way between glasses.

1/2 of these kids want to hold hands, swap spit and carry on like Susan Lucci and Walt Willey and have inappropriate PDAs with the other 1/2 of the kids at school. Like they don't see enough of each other or something. :))

Who here remembers the crowded halls of their high school as a Freshman? Any hands? Anyone? I know I do.

Ok.

Now, how many of you felt like a little minnow lost in a sea of great big fish?

I know I did.

How many of you EVER got stuck behind a traffic jam in the hallway you couldn't push, pull or batter you way through and it was THE only route to your next class? Once you pushed past the bottleneck, you discovered it was the "IT" couple putting on a show, playing tonsil hockey in the hallway before they got caught and split up by some Administrator?

Bonus question: Do you remember the name of your "IT" couple? ;)

Now, how many of you went to high school with THREE THOUSAND (yes, that's 3,000) kids?

I didn't. My entire school population was 1,200. Period. My graduating class was 400. My twins graduation class is 950. Yes, 950....and since their school is only 2 years old, this is the first year they have a SENIOR class of only 100 kids.

Next year's freshman class is ..... 1,110 kids. Yessireee.........that's how many are projected to be moving up in the fall.

So......we very well stand to have a school of almost FOUR THOUSAND or so kids. It's only going to get worse and the Administration is going to have to make allowances for this, or there are gonna be a LOT more Saturday School assignments and a LOT more missed Saturday School assignments.

It's not like my daughter skipped SS on purpose, to be defiant. I totaled our car three weeks ago and we don't have a replacement yet. We have NO transportation. She told me about it and *I* told her I had no way to get her there and I would take care of it with the AP. I thought (bad move on my part) that he would be open to working out a different, more suitable, more easily achieveable punishment than Saturday School OR ISS. My mistake.

The man is a BOT. Unable to think for himself. Unable to think of creative punishments that get the message across firmly, yet fairly.

I had NO objection to her being punished for her tardys. I just had an objection to the way it was handled and the fact that being on OSS for this is now on her permanent record and could harm her chances at college opportunities and/or with the Navy (she aspires to a career as a Lady Squid).

She will have to explain this suspension away, and it's really really stupid. She didn't bring a gun or drugs to school. She didn't hit anyone. She didn't do anything bad--except have trouble negotiating a large campus, with some 2,500 or so much larger people who got in her way and delayed her arrival to class on 7 occasions this ENTIRE school year.

Not (in my estimation) a really horrible record for a FRESHMAN girl......oh, and for the record. She's on the VARSITY WRESTLING TEAM. She wrestles 103lbs--with the boys--and she could take out the AP who suspended her without breaking a sweat. He's a teeny tiny pipsqueak of an asshole on a power trip.

Fuck him, I say. Next time I'll let her put him in a Sleeper or a Full Nelson and be done with the problem. At least *then* she'd have earned her OSS.

/THE END. :D

Last edited:

Because they're LAZY.

Good kids, actually!

It's just that there are 2,998 others on the same campus with them that won't get the hell out of their way between glasses.

1/2 of these kids want to hold hands, swap spit and carry on like Susan Lucci and Walt Willey and have inappropriate PDAs with the other 1/2 of the kids at school. Like they don't see enough of each other or something. :))

Who here remembers the crowded halls of their high school as a Freshman? Any hands? Anyone? I know I do.

Ok.

Now, how many of you felt like a little minnow lost in a sea of great big fish?

I know I did.

How many of you EVER got stuck behind a traffic jam in the hallway you couldn't push, pull or batter you way through and it was THE only route to your next class? Once you pushed past the bottleneck, you discovered it was the "IT" couple putting on a show, playing tonsil hockey in the hallway before they got caught and split up by some Administrator?

Bonus question: Do you remember the name of your "IT" couple? ;)

Now, how many of you went to high school with THREE THOUSAND (yes, that's 3,000) kids?

I didn't. My entire school population was 1,200. Period. My graduating class was 400. My twins graduation class is 950. Yes, 950....and since their school is only 2 years old, this is the first year they have a SENIOR class of only 100 kids.

Next year's freshman class is ..... 1,110 kids. Yessireee.........that's how many are projected to be moving up in the fall.

So......we very well stand to have a school of almost FOUR THOUSAND or so kids. It's only going to get worse and the Administration is going to have to make allowances for this, or there are gonna be a LOT more Saturday School assignments and a LOT more missed Saturday School assignments.

It's not like my daughter skipped SS on purpose, to be defiant. I totaled our car three weeks ago and we don't have a replacement yet. We have NO transportation. She told me about it and *I* told her I had no way to get her there and I would take care of it with the AP. I thought (bad move on my part) that he would be open to working out a different, more suitable, more easily achieveable punishment than Saturday School OR ISS. My mistake.

The man is a BOT. Unable to think for himself. Unable to think of creative punishments that get the message across firmly, yet fairly.

I had NO objection to her being punished for her tardys. I just had an objection to the way it was handled and the fact that being on OSS for this is now on her permanent record and could harm her chances at college opportunities and/or with the Navy (she aspires to a career as a Lady Squid).

She will have to explain this suspension away, and it's really really stupid. She didn't bring a gun or drugs to school. She didn't hit anyone. She didn't do anything bad--except have trouble negotiating a large campus, with some 2,500 or so much larger people who got in her way and delayed her arrival to class on 7 occasions this ENTIRE school year.

Not (in my estimation) a really horrible record for a FRESHMAN girl......oh, and for the record. She's on the VARSITY WRESTLING TEAM. She wrestles 103lbs--with the boys--and she could take out the AP who suspended her without breaking a sweat. He's a teeny tiny pipsqueak of an asshole on a power trip.

Fuck him, I say. Next time I'll let her put him in a Sleeper or a Full Nelson and be done with the problem. At least *then* she'd have earned her OSS.

/THE END. :D

Yup!... Says it right here in the camping and hiking manual..."Do Not Come Between A Momma Bear And Her Cubs!!!!":lol::lol::lol::eek:

Forum List

Back