Unschooling

Thinking without knowledge is ignorance.
Wisdom is based on both the ability to think and knowledge learned.

Skull Pilot has no degree? But he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

fyi I have no college degree. I have however set up college trust funds for all of the grandchildren.

I have 2.

But then again when did I ever say that universities ahould be abolished?

I made a simple statement that many people who are the products of nontraditional education are very creative. And those of you who can only think in the box take it as me saying to burn down the universities.

Curious.

You mean those bastions of intolerance to differing opinions. Where diversity is OK as long as you don't disagree with anyone?

You know, that is just pure bullshit. When I attended college, the one thing that my professors ALWAYS pushed on us was critical thinking skills and learning how to anaylize information and come to our OWN conclusions. Were many of them biased in their views? Of course they were, they were human. But they had come to their conclusions thru their own personal critical thinking and saw a large part of their job as teaching their students to do the same thing with whatever subkect they taught.

Yup, Skull sounds like just another whiny conservatives that gets mad when facts get in the way of ideology.

Once again I will say I am a true liberal.

What a person teaches or does not teach their children is none of my business. Just as it is none of yours.

And the next time a conservative gets shouted down on campus but a terrorist is welcome we'll revisit the tolerance of universities.

Skull Pilot has no degree? But he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

fyi I have no college degree. I have however set up college trust funds for all of the grandchildren.

I have 2.

But then again when did I ever say that universities ahould be abolished?

I made a simple statement that many people who are the products of nontraditional education are very creative. And those of you who can only think in the box take it as me saying to burn down the universities.

Curious.

My comment was figurative: If MANY people who are the products of nontraditional education are VERY creative, then perhaps traditional educations (university) should simply be closed.

"Creative" is a pretty broad term. I could call a dog that takes the perfect spiral-shit (you know, with a nice peak that stands straight up), "Creative."

Where are all these many very creative people who are the products of nontraditional education? Pole dancing?

so after 13 years of public education and 4 years of univeristy....

you got your first job in the real world....

how much of what you had learned was actually useful....

Where are all these many very creative people who are the products of nontraditional education? Pole dancing?

Do you want fries with that?

Depends what you consider nontraditional education. I'll agree there are parents who do a great job homeschooling their kids. There are others who, obviously with stuff out there like the OP, completely suck at it. I'd also speculate the higher the grade level and more in-depth the material, the fewer parents will be able to do it all on their own.

And yeah, when you turn out kids who turn into adults with a piss-poor noneducation, it does become my business when I have to support them and their kids because their part time minimum wage job doesn't pay the bills.

Depends what you consider nontraditional education. I'll agree there are parents who do a great job homeschooling their kids. There are others who, obviously with stuff out there like the OP, completely suck at it. I'd also speculate the higher the grade level and more in-depth the material, the fewer parents will be able to do it all on their own.

And yeah, when you turn out kids who turn into adults with a piss-poor noneducation, it does become my business when I have to support them and their kids because their part time minimum wage job doesn't pay the bills.

What do you mean "part time minimum wage job doesn't pay the bills?"

:eek::eek::eek:

:eusa_hand:

Just raise the minimum wage.

You know, that is just pure bullshit. When I attended college, the one thing that my professors ALWAYS pushed on us was critical thinking skills and learning how to anaylize information and come to our OWN conclusions. Were many of them biased in their views? Of course they were, they were human. But they had come to their conclusions thru their own personal critical thinking and saw a large part of their job as teaching their students to do the same thing with whatever subkect they taught.

Yup, Skull sounds like just another whiny conservatives that gets mad when facts get in the way of ideology.

Once again I will say I am a true liberal.

What a person teaches or does not teach their children is none of my business. Just as it is none of yours.

And the next time a conservative gets shouted down on campus but a terrorist is welcome we'll revisit the tolerance of universities.

Universities are like anything else.....there are a lot of them and you shouldn't use a broad brush in describing them. Mine taught and expected critical thinking. THAT more than any subject being taught was the REAL lesson.

No need, just send everyone a gubmint check along with their monthly cheese allotment. :eusa_drool:

Or a movement to teach kids how to think not what to think?
:cuckoo:YOu need to know some facts before you can think up anything.

Facts are easily obtained. Last time I checked there were still free libraries in almost every town.

If you think our schools exist to impart facts to students, you are sadly mistaken.

Sorry, you are the one mistaken. What is the purpose then? let me guess,its to brainwash them with liberal ideology :cuckoo:

Is your job in the field you got your degree in? Than it is very useful

No need, just send everyone a gubmint check along with their monthly cheese allotment. :eusa_drool:

Speaking of cheese, I see Dr. Demento has arrived upon the scene: Time to get something done IRL.

not very fucking much.

In fact the most important things with the greatest impact on my life on a day to day basis were things i didn't learn in school.

:cuckoo:YOu need to know some facts before you can think up anything.

Facts are easily obtained. Last time I checked there were still free libraries in almost every town.

If you think our schools exist to impart facts to students, you are sadly mistaken.

Sorry, you are the one mistaken. What is the purpose then? let me guess,its to brainwash them with liberal ideology :cuckoo:

Usually a prof will preach his particular bent on the world and then expect his students to regurgitate on command.

I've sat through enough under grad and grad courses to know this. Funny you haven't realized it.

not very fucking much.

In fact the most important things with the greatest impact on my life on a day to day basis were things i didn't learn in school.

Speak for yourself, in the sciences and engineering, its very important.

not very fucking much.

Speak for yourself, in the sciences and engineering, its very important.

One of my degrees is in electrical engineering.

I could have learned all that on my own by doing nothing more than reading the same text books in the library for free. No university necessary.

Forum List

Back