University tells students, staff to stop using 'he' and she'

New York City business owners should be careful of (perhaps unintentionally) using gendered language in job ads. The New York Post reports the owners of Sistina, an Italian restaurant on the Upper East Side, are planning to fight a $5,000 fine issued by the city's Commission on Human Rights — which claims the restaurant violated civil rights laws for posting a Craigslist ad seeking a "hostess/coat check." (The term "hostess" being gender-specific to women only.) According to Sistina's owners, the ad was placed by a 24-year-old female employee who admitted she used the word "hostess" without giving it a thought: "I just wrote it as I would write any other ad."

NYC Restaurant Fined $5,000 for 'Unintentionally' Gender-Specific Want Ad

It's against the law to advertise jobs in a way that excludes applicants who are entitled to apply for the job.

Can you advertise for a WHITE waitperson? No

Can you advertise for a waitRESS? No.

that is the law. It's a fair law.

You see mac? See what I mean. You think this idiot is being deliberately obtuse? He is actually offended by the word "waitress."

Of course he used the old "white person" example.

He says...."It is the law and it is a fair law."

Cause to him waitress is offensive. They are that fucking stupid.
Yeah, it's amazing to watch.

They're consumed by this, just waiting to be "offended" so they can intimidate, punish, control.

The latest in a LONG line of examples.

So you're amazed that anyone should agree with the law that says a business can't advertise in a race, religion, gender, etc., discriminatory way?
I'm amazed at how consumed you folks are by this, just waiting to be "offended" so they can intimidate, punish, control.

Not surprised, though. I know it's a strategy that has worked very well for you.

Fortunately, some honest lefties are beginning to admit that people like you have gone too far:

You're the one just waiting to be offended by someone you imagine to be doing things they're not.

It's against the law to advertise jobs in a way that excludes applicants who are entitled to apply for the job.

You see mac? See what I mean. You think this idiot is being deliberately obtuse? He is actually offended by the word "waitress."

They're consumed by this, just waiting to be "offended" so they can intimidate, punish, control.

So you're amazed that anyone should agree with the law that says a business can't advertise in a race, religion, gender, etc., discriminatory way?
I'm amazed at how consumed you folks are by this, just waiting to be "offended" so they can intimidate, punish, control.

Not surprised, though. I know it's a strategy that has worked very well for you.

Fortunately, some honest lefties are beginning to admit that people like you have gone too far:

I never said I was 'offended' by the word 'waitress'. That is something you and owl invented and pinned on me.

You're the one just waiting to be offended by someone you imagine to be doing things they're not.
Tell that to the nice, long list of lefties from whom I just provided links.

Nice try there.

Tell that to the nice, long list of lefties from whom I just provided links.

Nice try there.

Should I add you to the long list of nuts on this forum that I routinely refer to as 'retarded'? Would that help convince you that you are lying about me when you try to label me as some PC extremist?

Should I add you to the long list of nuts on this forum that I routinely refer to as 'retarded'? Would that help convince you that you are lying about me when you try to label me as some PC extremist?
Sure, please feel free to label me as "retarded".

Receiving a third-grade insult from member of the PC Police is always rewarding, thanks.

As crazy as this sounds it does make a bit of sense. "He or she" is just plain awkward in many contexts.

You mean, like when this person enrolls in classes?

th

Receiving a third-grade insult from member of the PC Police is always rewarding, thanks.

lol, thinking that calling someone a retard is characteristic of the Politically Correct is what makes you a retard.

lol, thinking that calling someone a retard is characteristic of the Politically Correct is what makes you a retard.
You're really trying hard here.

Good.

You're really trying hard here.

Good.

Will you let me know when I've finally learned to post according to your version of Political Correctness?

University of Tennessee tells staff and students to stop using 'he' and 'she' - and switch to 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead
  • Gay rights official at Knoxville campus wrote new language instructions
  • Tells students and staff to use unusual, gender-neutral pronouns like 'xe'
  • Donna Braquet said that the new regime would make campus 'inclusive'
  • University clarified that guidelines are not compulsory after critics called them 'absurd'

The University of Tennessee has told its staff and students to stop calling each other 'he', 'she', 'him' and 'her' - and to start referring to one another with terms like 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead.

The Knoxville branch of the public university, which has 27,400 students, sent a memo round to its members filled with unusual new parts of speech to avoid referring to anybody's gender.

According to a gay rights official at the university, the new language regime will make the university 'welcoming and inclusive' and stop people feeling 'marginalized'.

2BBF6B9F00000578-0-New_regime-a-29_1440783924924.jpg

2BBECB9900000578-0-image-a-28_1440783848511.jpg

She also advises staff members not to call roll in class, and to instead greet every student by asking them to announce their name and pronoun of preference.

Instead of 'he' and 'she', Braquet suggests four alternatives.

One is the commonplace strategy of using 'they', 'them' and 'their' for individuals rather than groups.
She also suggests 'ze' and 'xe' - both pronounced 'zhee' - and a variety of secondary conjugations to be used for anybody who rejects the traditional gender binary.

Barquet argues that if everybody follows her instructions, campus will become 'more inclusive'.

Read more: University of Tennessee: Use 'xe', 'zir', 'xyr' instead of he or she
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Oooops, did I copy and paste facts again?

tumblr_mea1glUPgB1rurv44.gif

Yes folks, this is where it is going. They have already convinced the useless idiots that the word "waitress" is offensive.

Now pronouns are offensive.

Look at the fat lesbian kuuunt with her thick dark rimmed glasses.

Just in case you all needed another legitimate reason to hate liberals more today than you did yesterday. They, are such a scourge on human liberty.

When I first saw this on Facebook, I was sure it as just a hoax, because it appeared in a publication that is known for its satire. Now I find out this is actually legitimate. I'm pretty open minded about things, and I support the LGBT community completely, but this? This has got to be one of the most stupid things I have ever heard of. These people have lost their minds. If I had a child enrolled at the University of Tennessee, I believe I would be pulling him/her out as quick as possible.
Gender neutral pronouns were first proposed in 1789. Since then grammarians have been arguing over the use of plural pronouns to indicated gender neutrality. These discussion had nothing to do with any gay lesbian movement but rather the use of the language to clearly convey meaning. With the sexual revolution in 20th century followed by the LGBT movements, these grammatical quirks in our language have taken a whole new meaning. I suppose in a couple hundred years, people will be using gender neutral pronouns because they clearly express the intent of the writer concisely without being offense.

Coming up with a gender neutral pronoun for generic use when we do not know the sex is one thing. Wanting to use gender neutral pronouns in place of his and her and so forth is just idiotic. If I'm talking about my sister's car, it's her car, not zir car or hir car.
If you're talking about your sister's car, then the possessive pronoun her is correct. However it you talking about a student's car which could be a male or female's car then neither the possessive pronoun his or her would be correct because the antecedent could be either male or female. Using the phrase "his or hers" would be correct or you could use a gender neutral pronoun which is more concise.

Gender neutral pronouns make writing easier to read and insure that it is correctly comprehended by the reader, assuming the reader understands them.

University of Tennessee tells staff and students to stop using 'he' and 'she' - and switch to 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead
  • University clarified that guidelines are not compulsory after critics called them 'absurd'

The University of Tennessee has told its staff and students to stop calling each other 'he', 'she', 'him' and 'her' - and to start referring to one another with terms like 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead.

The Knoxville branch of the public university, which has 27,400 students, sent a memo round to its members filled with unusual new parts of speech to avoid referring to anybody's gender.

According to a gay rights official at the university, the new language regime will make the university 'welcoming and inclusive' and stop people feeling 'marginalized'.

She also advises staff members not to call roll in class, and to instead greet every student by asking them to announce their name and pronoun of preference.

One is the commonplace strategy of using 'they', 'them' and 'their' for individuals rather than groups.
She also suggests 'ze' and 'xe' - both pronounced 'zhee' - and a variety of secondary conjugations to be used for anybody who rejects the traditional gender binary.

Barquet argues that if everybody follows her instructions, campus will become 'more inclusive'.

Yes folks, this is where it is going. They have already convinced the useless idiots that the word "waitress" is offensive.

Just in case you all needed another legitimate reason to hate liberals more today than you did yesterday. They, are such a scourge on human liberty.

When I first saw this on Facebook, I was sure it as just a hoax, because it appeared in a publication that is known for its satire. Now I find out this is actually legitimate. I'm pretty open minded about things, and I support the LGBT community completely, but this? This has got to be one of the most stupid things I have ever heard of. These people have lost their minds. If I had a child enrolled at the University of Tennessee, I believe I would be pulling him/her out as quick as possible.
Gender neutral pronouns were first proposed in 1789. Since then grammarians have been arguing over the use of plural pronouns to indicated gender neutrality. These discussion had nothing to do with any gay lesbian movement but rather the use of the language to clearly convey meaning. With the sexual revolution in 20th century followed by the LGBT movements, these grammatical quirks in our language have taken a whole new meaning. I suppose in a couple hundred years, people will be using gender neutral pronouns because they clearly express the intent of the writer concisely without being offense.

Can you actually find an example of any discussion about gender neatral pronouns that occurred in 1789?

I personally don't see the big deal behind using he or she even when it is wrong. We just assume that in some cases a profession is dominated by either male or female? We then use he or she based on those assumptions.
I don't really see any real problem with he or she other than it takes more time to write than a gender specific pronouns but I'm not a grammarian. However, it's not just he and she but also his and hers, . If the antecedent is plural then we use they, them, their, theirs which leaves us in the dark as to whether the antecedent is a group of males, females, or some combination.

Coming up with a gender neutral pronoun for generic use when we do not know the sex is one thing. Wanting to use gender neutral pronouns in place of his and her and so forth is just idiotic. If I'm talking about my sister's car, it's her car, not zir car or hir car.
If you're talking about your sister's car, then the possessive pronoun her is correct. However it you talking about a student's car which could be a male or female's car then neither the possessive pronoun his or her would be correct because the antecedent could be either male or female. Using the phrase "his or hers" would be correct or you could use a gender neutral pronoun which is more concise.

Gender neutral pronouns make writing easier to read and insure that it is correctly comprehended by the reader, assuming the reader understands them.

English doesn't have a gender-neutral singular pronoun beyond the awkward, third-person, indefinite "one."

Last edited:

Can you actually find an example of any discussion about gender neatral pronouns that occurred in 1789?

I personally don't see the big deal behind using he or she even when it is wrong. We just assume that in some cases a profession is dominated by either male or female? We then use he or she based on those assumptions.
I don't really see any real problem with he or she other than it takes more time to write than a gender specific pronouns......

It's awkward and unnecessary

Why is this person automatically a representative of progressivism in general? You people cherry pick stupid examples like this and justify demonizing liberals in general. You sound like a child. If I were to link a video to a tea bagger calling a black guy a racial slur and used it as justification to say all tea baggers are racist assholes, you would cry like a toddler over it.

English doesn't have a gender-neutral singular pronoun beyond the awkward, third-person, indefinite "one."

Actually, "I" and "you" are gender neutral singular pronouns. English [technically] lacks gender neutral 3rd person singular pronouns. However, "they" has become a common gender neutral 3rd person singular pronoun substitute.

Forum List

Back