University Offers Major In LBGT Studies

That will certainly land someone a good job!

What it will do is contribute to the number of students with a college degree that complain there are no jobs for them.

I want to know what that degree is intended to be used for?

So graduates can say they spent a fortune on getting a college degree and can't find a job. The republicans destroyed their career opportunities and Bush did it too.

There is no real problem having departments like this in universities, which should be arenas for outside the box learning. The issue is that those taking a major in this need to realize the degree is only good for a few things, namely getting your doctorate in LBGT studies, or maybe being an activist for LGBT causes. Anything else the degree is not worth much, just like asian/afro/hebrew/ whatever studies.

That being said having a department like this is needed in an academic environment, as you need the department to provide electives for all those accountants, pre meds, and engineers who need to pad thier GPA with filler courses.

How long untill this is a required course?

I think that it would be dependent on the degree and even then it would probably be added into already standing material. So, a diversity in education course might have that included and it would not need an entire course. It is already included to an extent in courses that deal with political science and more than likely in some aspect of social work. Any career that places one in dealing directly with the public probably has or should have background courses in diversity and should have LGBT included in it. I doubt very seriously that it would become a required course for all.

I see it being useful for a few for the next 20-25 years-if that and then it is back to school if one hasn't acquired other skills along the way.

Forum List

Back