University of Illinois defends new 'Trumpaganda' course

BookShaka

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Realityville, USA
The University of Illinois- Champaign is offering a new course which examines U.S. propaganda in the Trump era and its effect on democracy and free press.

"Trumpaganda: The war on facts, press, and democracy" is a new journalism course being offered at the University of Illinois- Champaign later this month to analyze President Donald Trump’s, “disinformation campaign,” the ways in which he uses different methods of propaganda to defeat his “opponents,” and, its “implications for American democracy and a free press."

"It is critical to learn how to detect propaganda and recognize propagandistic features of any communication, including presidential.”

[RELATED: English prof assigns Trump-bashing books in rhetoric course]

The course is specifically centered around the President’s, “running war” with his media enemies, which he calls “fake news,” and how he uses textbook devices for propaganda that, “dominate,” his tweets, press conferences, and public statements.

The course also seeks to challenge students to question their assumption that propaganda is an uncommon practice in democratic societies.

According to her faculty profile, Mira Sotirovic, the professor teaching the course, has written extensively on the president’s rhetorical methods in the past. She also has an entire tab on her site devoted to her research on propaganda.

[RELATED: SDSU offers course on removing Trump from office]

The school's student newspaper, The Daily Illini, reached out to the university’s Journalism Department head, Stephanie Craft, for comment. Craft stated, “This particular course is the first of what we hope will be a series of what we’re thinking as pop-up courses, where we’re trying to identify things that are very in the news and build an eight-week course around it that would be of interest to the broader University community, not just journalism majors.”

The Daily Illini also heard from the Professor teaching the course. She stated, “Propaganda is effective only if it is concealed and camouflaged as something else, such as news, advertisements or PR releases, and it is critical to learn how to detect propaganda and recognize propagandistic features of any communication, including presidential.”

[RELATED: Liberal WaPo columnist to teach anti-Trump course at Harvard]

Dan Gainor, vice president of business and culture at Media Research Center, said the course "shows how far both academia and media have fallen. The course description pretends that the press never does anything wrong in its coverage of Trump and that he's the one pushing 'propaganda.'"

"The very name of the course, 'Trumpaganda,' shows that no student should expect an honest look at the subject matter," Gainor added. "I have news for anyone teaching this 'course.' If they think state-funded propaganda doesn't happen in democratic societies, I need to introduce them to PBS, NPR, and BBC, just for starters. All three push a liberal worldview and rely on taxpayer dollars to do it. Somehow I don't expect that to make the course selection for 2019."

Campus Reform reached out for comment to both Craft and Sotirovic, but has not heard back.

University of Illinois defends new 'Trumpaganda' course

So teach a course on propaganda and see what you get. How many declarations made by politicians turn out to be false and/or not backed up by any reliable information? If someone says something, it's out there for the public. If someone in the media does the research and finds out that it isn't true, the politician is disseminating propaganda.

Some politicians put forth that when 5 people do something, it is 500 hundred or 5,000. Some politicians put forth that medical or scientific studies show something that no medical or scientific studies from respected medical research professionals actually show.

So teach a course on propaganda and see what you get. How many declarations made by politicians turn out to be false and/or not backed up by any reliable information? If someone says something, it's out there for the public. If someone in the media does the research and finds out that it isn't true, the politician is disseminating propaganda.

Some politicians put forth that when 5 people do something, it is 500 hundred or 5,000. Some politicians put forth that medical or scientific studies show something that no medical or scientific studies from respected medical research professionals actually show.

Yes, politicians are notorious at doling out misleading information but journalists have and use tactics to mislead as well. It seems this course has been designed to pretend the only propaganda comes from Trump and that’s simply not true. I’m not against studying tactics used by Trump but he’s far from the only distributor of propaganda.

Yes, politicians are notorious at doling out misleading information but journalists have and use tactics to mislead as well. It seems this course has been designed to pretend the only propaganda comes from Trump and that’s simply not true. I’m not against studying tactics used by Trump but he’s far from the only distributor of propaganda.

What tactics used by journalists are misleading?

trump has been running a disinformation/propaganda campaign since Day One. Why not talk about it? I'm not against studying similar efforts by anti-trumps, but I'm not seeing any indication that it exists on any level. It's an accusation, but an accusation made by people who do not actually have any credibility.

And Democrats wonder why we don't worship "higher" education......
The Ruling Class's Most Effective Unrecognized Dumbing-Down Tool

The ignorant grammar of college graduates proves (they would say "prove") that a degree is nothing to be proud of. Grammar is the gateway to logic, which explains why so many Diploma Dumbos believe in the childishly simple-minded and slowly toxic Democratic agenda.

And Democrats wonder why we don't worship "higher" education......
The Ruling Class's Most Effective Unrecognized Dumbing-Down Tool

The ignorant grammar of college graduates proves (they would say "prove") that a degree is nothing to be proud of. Grammar is the gateway to logic, which explains why so many Diploma Dumbos believe in the childishly simple-minded and slowly toxic Democratic agenda.

When have right-wingers indulged in grammar?

Man. I wish all of you morons a very long life.

I want you to be alive to read the textbooks in 30 years.
You wouldn't like them.

You are one original mother fucker.
Considering I am one of the only people on here who will have a fully functioning brain in 30 years, I can make posts like that.

Your "fully functioning brain" thinks Trump is a good leader. I'll pass.

trump has been running a disinformation/propaganda campaign since Day One. Why not talk about it? I'm not against studying similar efforts by anti-trumps, but I'm not seeing any indication that it exists on any level. It's an accusation, but an accusation made by people who do not actually have any credibility.

How about pictures?

I read this story earlier, unfucking believable these numb nuts ignore their fake news/ half truths/ partisian propaganda for 50 fucking years and now just focus on Trump????

That's fine.

Trump isn't unique.

How about pictures?

Know what's worse? When called out the doubled down and defended it, saying it was because he was on wet grass and exhausted from reporting, lol.

OMG you have got to be fucking kidding me...

How about pictures?

Know what's worse? When called out the doubled down and defended it, saying it was because he was on wet grass and exhausted from reporting, lol.

He stole Geraldo Rivera's schtick.

Forum List

Back