Universe has 2 trillion galaxies, astronomers say

Nah, the thread is about galaxies.
There's a shitload of them. Why don't you think we've had first contact yet? Do you think there is evidence on Earth of previous extraterrestrial contact?

The distances are too great and we've only been transmitting signal for at maximum 100 years. And according to the link a general radio wave or tv wave degrades as it heads out into space. Only a focused signal would travel any meaningful distance and be picked up. I didn't know this until reading the article. It appears most of what has been transmitted from Earth is only viable for a few lights years away, after that it becomes very difficult to pick out patterns against background noise. The same would be the case of signals reaching us from elsewhere. It appears to be a huge hurdle for coherent contact between intelligences across the vastness of space. But, it isn't impossible. We're talking only a few light years so far, while our galaxy alone is 100,000 light years across.

How Far Have Our Radio Signals Traveled From Earth?

There isn't any evidence I've seen that extraterrestrials have visited Earth before or currently. We'd have something concrete.

As far as other universes this is only speculation at the moment. Mathematically possible and I think probable according to some physicists, but certainly no evidence. If they were to spring up I would guess they would be related to super-massive black holes. Somehow a new 'bubble' erupts out of a smbh into another dimension because of the gravity and energies involved. But no evidence of this. We also see streams of particles emitted from huge black holes. This seems counter-intuitive to me. If a black hole is so dense and has such immense gravity that even light can't escape then how does anything escape. I've also read that super-massive black holes are what produce dark matter as the center of smbh operate outside normal space.

Incredible and infinitely interesting to say the least.
We're at a relatively early stage in exploring offworld, but we're also a relatively new planet on the outer half of the Milky Way galaxy. About 4.6 Billion years old in a relative backwater on an outer arm. The core stars are far older, up to 13 Billion years old. With about 200 Billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy and many of them billions of years older than our own, if we postulate there is extraterrestrial life, then it is obvious most of those lifeform could be millions, if not billions, of years older than life on Earth.

All that said, the question isn't why we haven't found extraterrestrial life, but why hasn't extraterrestrial life found us?

10 Interesting Facts About the Milky Way - Universe Today
Milky-Way-artist-ESO-FINALlabeled_edited-1.jpg

Why no young stars at Milky Way center? | EarthSky.org

Forum List

Back