Universal Voter Registration

Still waiting limpdick.....

I didn't ask for a reprint of the Magna Carta. You claim that the document gave the same rights to a fieldhand and a member of Royalty. Show me

Show me where it discusses voting rights

TO ALL FREE MEN OF OUR KINGDOM we have also granted, for us and our heirs for ever, all the liberties written out below, to have and to keep for them and their heirs, of us and our heirs:

(39) No free man shall be seized or imprisoned, or stripped of his rights or possessions, or outlawed or exiled, or deprived of his standing in any other way, nor will we proceed with force against him, or send others to do so, except by the lawful judgement of his equals or by the law of the land.

(40) To no one will we sell, to no one deny or delay right or justice.

I don't think it is equal rights, but a move toward that end. Extending rights to free men was basically what you spoke of in an earlier post. Zander is right on that count.

Your perception of "free men" is different than it was in the 13th century. Free men were a small portion of the population

Free men formed only a small proportion of the population of 13th-century England. The distinction between the free and the unfree peasantry (the villeins) varied considerably across the country. Generally, though, in contrast to an unfree villein, a free man could leave his manor, could buy or sell land and owned his goods and chattels. He was not required to make numerous customary payments to his lord, nor to undertake onerous labour services for the cultivation of his lord's lands. Free men still had to attend their lord's court, but they also had access to the royal courts, which offered greater protection for their rights and property.

Although Magna Carta focused primarily on the interests of the barons, a significant proportion of its clauses dealt with all free men, from the barons, through the knights, down to the free peasantry. The most famous clause, providing protection against arbitrary imprisonment and the seizure of property by the king, applied to all free men.

It was a far cry from the "All men created equal"

I find your post to be correct. While not all men created equal, it certainly was a step in that direction. That seemed to be the point Zander was making, so I found it strange you would take issue with him.

TO ALL FREE MEN OF OUR KINGDOM we have also granted, for us and our heirs for ever, all the liberties written out below, to have and to keep for them and their heirs, of us and our heirs:

(39) No free man shall be seized or imprisoned, or stripped of his rights or possessions, or outlawed or exiled, or deprived of his standing in any other way, nor will we proceed with force against him, or send others to do so, except by the lawful judgement of his equals or by the law of the land.

(40) To no one will we sell, to no one deny or delay right or justice.

I don't think it is equal rights, but a move toward that end. Extending rights to free men was basically what you spoke of in an earlier post. Zander is right on that count.

Your perception of "free men" is different than it was in the 13th century. Free men were a small portion of the population

Free men formed only a small proportion of the population of 13th-century England. The distinction between the free and the unfree peasantry (the villeins) varied considerably across the country. Generally, though, in contrast to an unfree villein, a free man could leave his manor, could buy or sell land and owned his goods and chattels. He was not required to make numerous customary payments to his lord, nor to undertake onerous labour services for the cultivation of his lord's lands. Free men still had to attend their lord's court, but they also had access to the royal courts, which offered greater protection for their rights and property.

Although Magna Carta focused primarily on the interests of the barons, a significant proportion of its clauses dealt with all free men, from the barons, through the knights, down to the free peasantry. The most famous clause, providing protection against arbitrary imprisonment and the seizure of property by the king, applied to all free men.

It was a far cry from the "All men created equal"

I find your post to be correct. While not all men created equal, it certainly was a step in that direction. That seemed to be the point Zander was making, so I found it strange you would take issue with him.
What would you expect from an immature and dishonest person? Righwinger is incapable of admitting he is wrong. Even his "name" is a lie....:lol:

I have no problem stating that many people should not vote. I would think society would benefit from smart decisions. America seems to be very short on educated folks. Can't we hold ourselves to a standard that says blind people get braille ballots and the rest of us get printed ones?

What about a work standard? A person needs to have worked at least 4 quarters in the last twenty or have earned a total of 40 to vote.

What about political awareness? Make them answer who the current president is.

I really see nothing wrong with asking a voter to have some intelligence, worked and be a little politically aware.

And you call liberals elitists.

I have no problem stating that many people should not vote. I would think society would benefit from smart decisions. America seems to be very short on educated folks. Can't we hold ourselves to a standard that says blind people get braille ballots and the rest of us get printed ones?

What about a work standard? A person needs to have worked at least 4 quarters in the last twenty or have earned a total of 40 to vote.

I really see nothing wrong with asking a voter to have some intelligence, worked and be a little politically aware.

You think my suggested standards are too high for liberals? All I basically said was you have to read, worked one year in the last five or worked ten years in your lifetime and know Obama is President.

Zander, I have seen rightwinger make some rational statements more than a few times. He also can be a bridge between sides too. Today, he gets a pass with his Star Trek reference on the whale thread.

If it were left up to me, anyone who isn't an invalid would have to hoof it to the county court house... where I'd hide the registration office in a coat closet with only one tiny sign to point it out. :eusa_angel:

Voters should have to demonstrate a certain amount of gumption... prove they're motivated enough to pay attention. Think how much we could improve the democratic process if we insisted that voters at least be smart enough to find the voter registration office. :lol:

Hell, I'd have 'em running like rats through a maze. Last thing we need is more apathetic, politically illiterate voters.

p.s. Let's not forget that all it took for Taylor Hicks to win American Idol is for people to know how to dial a phone. :lol::lol::lol:

Take a look at the sample questions an illegal immigrant must learn the answers to before a final test to become an American citizen. Then think about how much lack of knowledge there is among natural born citizens whose only requirement to vote is age and proof of residency.

US citizenship sample civics questions for naturalization interview

Just because you die you lose your right to vote?

Where does it say that in the constitution?

You are kidding??? Right? of course, Mayor Dailey of Chicago got dead people to vote in JFK's election and he won. :lol:

While it may seem logical to subject voters to some "test" before they are allowed to vote, the intent of the founding fathers was that the elected official represents all people. If only land owners and the educated get to vote, then the elected official will only cater to the wealthy and educated.
Even a homeless guy living under a bridge deserves the right to vote. The elected official is representing his rights too

You think my suggested standards are too high for liberals? All I basically said was you have to read, worked one year in the last five or worked ten years in your lifetime and know Obama is President.

They're stupid. What if someone became injured on the job 20 years ago and was unable to work but could still make it to the polling place in his wheelchair? And even 5-year olds know who the president is. Do you want to try again and get serious this time?

While it may seem logical to subject voters to some "test" before they are allowed to vote, the intent of the founding fathers was that the elected official represents all people. If only land owners and the educated get to vote, then the elected official will only cater to the wealthy and educated.
Even a homeless guy living under a bridge deserves the right to vote. The elected official is representing his rights too

I agree that an actual test for voters would be out of the question, but how do we get potential voters educated in basic civics? How about handouts in the form of little brochures that people can look at while standing in line to vote? It won't change who they want to vote for, but it might make them more savvy AFTER an election when the government begins its process and which is when people start bitching and moaning when things don't go exactly their way and in a timely fashion.

If it were left up to me, anyone who isn't an invalid would have to hoof it to the county court house... where I'd hide the registration office in a coat closet with only one tiny sign to point it out. :eusa_angel:

Voters should have to demonstrate a certain amount of gumption... prove they're motivated enough to pay attention. Think how much we could improve the democratic process if we insisted that voters at least be smart enough to find the voter registration office. :lol:

Hell, I'd have 'em running like rats through a maze. Last thing we need is more apathetic, politically illiterate voters.

p.s. Let's not forget that all it took for Taylor Hicks to win American Idol is for people to know how to dial a phone. :lol::lol::lol:

Take a look at the sample questions an illegal immigrant must learn the answers to before a final test to become an American citizen. Then think about how much lack of knowledge there is among natural born citizens whose only requirement to vote is age and proof of residency.

Interesting link. Clearly though, we need to make a better effort at teaching Civics in school.

I saw this clip a month or two back, of a guy asking passers-by on the street a simple question... "who the vice president?" And I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It was just that bad. :eek:

I don't think it's too much to ask that people who aren't invalids express some interest in the political process. Heck, I go to great lengths to keep myself informed and educated. And it burns my ass that the pimply-face clerk at WalMart who can't be bothered to name the three branches of government has a vote weighing the same as mine.

Of course, that's neither here nor there. The real deal is in Navy's post, page 3. It would likely be overreach by the central government and invasive to citizens who choose not to participate.

Interesting link. Clearly though, we need to make a better effort at teaching Civics in school.

I saw this clip a month or two back, of a guy asking passers-by on the street a simple question... "who the vice president?" And I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It was just that bad. :eek:

I don't think it's too much to ask that people who aren't invalids express some interest in the political process. Heck, I go to great lengths to keep myself informed and educated. And it burns my ass that the pimply-face clerk at WalMart who can't be bothered to name the three branches of government has a vote weighing the same as mine.

Of course, that's neither here nor there. The real deal is in Navy's post, page 3. It would likely be overreach by the central government and invasive to citizens who choose not to participate.

Then you will be sick to your stomach when you see a few of Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" videos.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jay+leno+jaywalking&search_type=&aq=0&oq=Jay+Leno+-+Jay

Then you will be sick to your stomach when you see a few of Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" videos.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jay+leno+jaywalking&search_type=&aq=0&oq=Jay+Leno+-+Jay

OMG... the girl with the zebra hat... "Can you give me a hint?" :lol:.... :ack-1:

Any guess how many of these people vote? If it is even half, we have a problem. What are these people making political decisions on? Feelings? What they saw on TV? What a friend said? This is what will be the end of America. With the government in charge of education, which direction will it go? What a sheep factory.

Forum List

Back