Universal Spiritual Qualities

Love is a choice. We can wish for another's happiness even when we don't particularly like them.

I agree that particular section on love is beautiful, marie.

Of course, I disagree that God is love. Love is love, not God. God belief is not a requirement for human beings to love.

We are talking about universal qualites, of which, love is one. God is specific to theists. Love is for all of us.

God is for theists, not atheists. Atheists have just as much capacity for love as any other human being.

Some think God belief is a requirement to develop positive qualites. I do not.

Last edited:
Oh boy, another thread with Sky shoving her religion down all of our throats and proselytizing to us, I feel so violated. :eusa_whistle:

Oh boy, another thread with Sky shoving her religion down all of our throats and proselytizing to us, I feel so violated. :eusa_whistle:
I'm sorry you feel that way.

I would have thought you could talk about love just as easily as anyone else. I'm sorry you can't.

It's ok for Marie to post bible quotes, but it's not okay for me to offer the Buddhist definition of love. I see.

It's not ok for me to point out that an atheist can be as loving as a religious person. I get it.

I feel sorry for you. It's sad. For someone like you, who comes from the "forgiveness path", you sure have a hard time forgiving me.

How long are you going to hold a grudge against me for asking Marie to stop trying to convert me?

Last edited:

I would have thought you could talk about love just as easily as anyone else. I'm sorry you can't.

It's ok for Marie to post bible quotes, but it's not okay for me to offer the Buddhist definition of love. I see.

It's not ok for me to point out that an atheist can be as loving as a religious person. I get it.

I feel sorry for you. It's sad. For someone like you, who comes from the "forgiveness path", you sure have a hard time forgiving me.

How long are you going to hold a grudge against me for asking Marie to stop trying to convert me?

I hold no grudges against you at all Sky. :eusa_angel: I've just seen this particular song and dance one too many times from you now, it's beyond old. I'm simply pointing out your hypocrisy from time to time when I get the opportunity. I'm just sort of playing your part here in this thread. If this were a christian thread about christian beliefs, you would have posted that christians are 'always shoving their beliefs and views down other's throats.' Yet, when you do it, it's somehow 'different'. Why you can't seem to 'get' that, I'll never understand, unless you just really don't want to 'get' it. Which is what my theory is, you just don't want to 'get' it. When you stop talking about how christians are forcing their views on you by simply posting about their beliefs, then maybe I'll think you've turned over a new leaf. I'm guessing hell will freeze over before then, however. :lol:

I hold no grudges against you at all Sky. :eusa_angel: I've just seen this particular song and dance one too many times from you now, it's beyond old. I'm simply pointing out your hypocrisy from time to time when I get the opportunity. I'm just sort of playing your part here in this thread. If this were a christian thread about christian beliefs, you would have posted that christians are 'always shoving their beliefs and views down other's throats.' Yet, when you do it, it's somehow 'different'. Why you can't seem to 'get' that, I'll never understand, unless you just really don't want to 'get' it. Which is what my theory is, you just don't want to 'get' it. When you stop talking about how christians are forcing their views on you by simply posting about their beliefs, then maybe I'll think you've turned over a new leaf. I'm guessing hell will freeze over before then, however. :lol:

You're still holding a grudge. I asked Marie to stop trying to convert me. Marie even admitted that was her agenda.

You still haven't gotten over that. Sad.

There is a HUGE difference between someone posting their views, and someone trying to convert another to their religion. You haven't seen me try and make any one else a Buddhist.

This is an evangelical phenom.

You're still judging me, aren't you? Who do you think you are? God?

Have you got anything at all to contribute to the topic

Last edited:

You're still holding a grudge. I asked Marie to stop trying to convert me. Marie even admitted that was her agenda.

There is a HUGE difference between someone posting their views, and someone trying to convert another to their religion. You haven't seen me try and make any one else a Buddhist.

No one has tried to 'convert' you, it's all in your head, you see any chrisitan post as trying to 'convert' you. So, why shouldn't everyone else take your posts about your religious practices as trying to 'convert' them as well? It's all subjective, is it not? :eusa_shhh:

Equanimity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Equanimity is a state of mental or emotional stability or composure arising from a deep awareness and acceptance of the present moment. Equanimity is promoted by several major religious groups

I had to look it up.

beautiful thought
False teaching. ONly two religions on the face of the earth; Judaism and Christianity. Everything else is a cult or a false religion like islam and buddhism.

Equanimity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Equanimity is a state of mental or emotional stability or composure arising from a deep awareness and acceptance of the present moment. Equanimity is promoted by several major religious groups

I had to look it up.

beautiful thought
False teaching. ONly two religions on the face of the earth; Judaism and Christianity. Everything else is a cult or a false religion like islam and buddhism.

:eusa_shhh:

they are both cults too.

No one has tried to 'convert' you, it's all in your head, you see any chrisitan post as trying to 'convert' you. So, why shouldn't everyone else take your posts about your religious practices as trying to 'convert' them as well? It's all subjective, is it not? :eusa_shhh:

Marie admitted that she wants me to be a christian. It's not just subjective, she admitted as such.

There is a vast difference between putting out general info about your religion and trying to convert someone.

You forget, that Marie got real personal, and used my life story as ammunition for her conversion trip. That really hurt.

She had started a thread about Buddhism simply to bash it as part of her strategy for pushing her trip.

I have every right to object. It wasn't just that Marie tried to convert me, its that a bunch of you ganged up on me for saying NO to becoming a Christian, and further you told me I had no right to object.

I'm not in the slightest bit interested in converting anyone to Buddhism. You have to have the karma to become a student of Buddhism.

Last edited:
I won't.

"Some things are unforgiveable."

syrenn

getting over something has nothing to do with forgiveness....

syrenn.

Yes, it does. People "get over it" when they are heard. When they are able to turn toward their own hurt selves and offer themselves compassion.

You are talking about forgiving yourself and having compassion for yourself.... that has nothing to do with forgiving others.

Love
Compassion
Joy
Equanimity

In Buddhism, these four have specific meanings. What are the qualities you identify as univeral.

I posted these because belief in God is not required for any of them.

If you want the Buddhist meanings of these, let me know and I'll post them. Otherwise, add your own and discuss.

Ideals.

nothing more then that.

Love
Compassion
Joy
Equanimity

In Buddhism, these four have specific meanings. What are the qualities you identify as univeral.

I posted these because belief in God is not required for any of them.

If you want the Buddhist meanings of these, let me know and I'll post them. Otherwise, add your own and discuss.

Ideals.

nothing more then that.

To you, yes.

Compassion is real. I hope you exerience it for yourself. Equanimity--the equal kind regard for all beings. Not an ideal, actually realizable by human beings.

Love. Very real, not an ideal.

Joy. The enjoyment of life. Real again.

Last edited:

Marie admitted that she wants me to be a christian. It's not just subjective, she admitted as such.

There is a vast difference between putting out general info about your religion and trying to convert someone.

You forget, that Marie got real personal, and used my life story as ammunition for her conversion trip. That really hurt.

She had started a thread about Buddhism simply to bash it as part of her strategy for pushing her trip.

I have every right to object. It wasn't just that Marie tried to convert me, its that a bunch of you ganged up on me for saying NO to becoming a Christian, and further you told me I had no right to object.

I'm not in the slightest bit interested in converting anyone to Buddhism. You have to have the karma to become a student of Buddhism.

I'm not sure how to explain things so that you would understand. I'm just going to type just some things that come to mind to try to communicate with you.

1. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord of all, that means you, me and everyone else. I will even tell you that I know He is the Lord, but I know you won't believe me and even think I'm arrogant for saying I know. But I do know. I believe that people either reject Him or they will be with Him. If you can realize that since I believe that, that means yes, of course I want everyone to be a Christian, as I believe He is the Truth. Does that mean it's going to happen? No. But that doesn't mean I don't accept you as a person. I can't make you or others believe. I may not accept a "view", just like some don't accept mine, but that doesn't mean we aren't accepting each other..ya know?

2. God's will is that NONE shall perish. NONE. And me knowing that, and what is in store, it has always been in my heart to share His Word because of His love and mercy and grace. If someone doesn't believe in Him, there is nothing I can do about it. I can only try to encourage someone in the Lord if someone is posing a view I see as wrong.

3. I understand completely that you have no desire at all to become a Christian!

4. I cannot personally convert you! I cannot stress that enough. Conversion comes from God Himself. Though He will send people out to share His Word. He will send people out to heal, and care, and give; all sorts of gifts He gives to all sorts of people encourage people toward Him. If you feel any conviction or pull towards Him, it's not from me but God Himself. It can't be from me, I'm just a person He created, who shares God's Word. I'm a sinner, saved by Grace, thank the Lord so much, and He's not finished with me yet. I'm learning as I go.

5. If I see posts where you or anyone talks about God in a wrong way as if he is "evil" of course I'm going to try to share some verses or encourage otherwise, because I know He is good. It goes both ways. Someone shares their view of what they believe, as do I. We both have the right, its called freedom of religion. Thank the Lord we still have it.

6. I know we do not see eye to eye. You have made it clear as day it is not your intention to believe in Jesus Christ. And please know that I'm not trying to hurt you. And I didn't realize I hurt you so much by relating to your personal story, and I'm sorry I don't even remember exactly all what happened, as it's been a while. I'm very sorry for hurting you, really I am. However, if you can try to understand what I believe, (yes, even if you don't agree with it) you can understand that of course I'm gonna go "deep" as I can see where some of your hurts may have come from. I never meant it as an "ammunition" against you at all, no way! Rather only to try to help and encourage you.

7. Yes, since then, you've made it clear, time and time again, you don't want it. For me personally, I can "wipe the dust off" in that regard. I totally understand...I cannot make you or anyone believe in God, Sky.

8. But (here's the biggie here I cannot stress enough) that doesn't mean I'm not going to reply to you on the forum what I believe is your wrong view of God. (Which in hand, you'll come back with your view, etc, etc) So..we go back and forth. Does that mean I don't accept you personally? NO! It only means that I don't agree with your view, (and vice versa) and thats part of why we have these discussions. You share your views, and I reply with my views. We are both adamant of our views. However, if you are feeling a "pull" or something, again, it's not from me, dear woman! It's from God! God's Word is quick and powerful and divides the soul because it is the truth.

Heb 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

9. If you ask questions such as, "How can people believe in a God who...etc" , of course I'm going to try to answer from a point of view of encouraging you to ask Him yourself, or share scriptures, etc. How else should I answer? If you share your perception, I will surely share mine. Aye?

10. I consider alot of this life a spiritual battle. Seriously. A battle for souls. Black and white. God's kingdom, vs, Satans temporary kingdom and Satan hates God and Satan is the deceiver who wants to take as many with him to hell as he can. I believe that God's Word (which is one of the Names of Jesus Christ) is SO powerful. That is why some take offense to the scriptures; they are either received by them, or they are offended. I believe all or lives are in Christ our Lord, He is the beginning and the end. If you think I'm out to harm you or hurt you with sharing my beliefs with you, or that I'm not accepting you, the exact opposite is true. Just because we totally disagree with your view of God, or your lack of faith thereof, that doesn't mean I don't accept you as a person. We may drive each other crazy sometimes, lol, but that's the way it is.

Finally, I realize you may argue and disagree and not even understand this though I'm hoping you do. And I realize it's your right to share your view, that's your right to do so. But again, that doesn't mean I'm going to reply to some of your posts with my views, my experiences with the Lord, etc.

I hope this helps. And I hope you forgive me for hurting you. I'm very sorry that I hurt you. We all have hurts and pains and have suffered, some way more than others. My intentions were never to maim, but rather to encourage with God's love, pointing toward Him. AND YES, I know you don't want it, but hey.. this is me. And I realize you are you. And it's getting late, so I'm probably rambling by now so I better get back to bed here soon, lol.

I'm not sure how to explain things so that you would understand. I'm just going to type just some things that come to mind to try to communicate with you.

1. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord of all, that means you, me and everyone else. I will even tell you that I know He is the Lord, but I know you won't believe me and even think I'm arrogant for saying I know. But I do know. I believe that people either reject Him or they will be with Him. If you can realize that since I believe that, that means yes, of course I want everyone to be a Christian, as I believe He is the Truth. Does that mean it's going to happen? No. But that doesn't mean I don't accept you as a person. I can't make you or others believe. I may not accept a "view", just like some don't accept mine, but that doesn't mean we aren't accepting each other..ya know?

2. God's will is that NONE shall perish. NONE. And me knowing that, and what is in store, it has always been in my heart to share His Word because of His love and mercy and grace. If someone doesn't believe in Him, there is nothing I can do about it. I can only try to encourage someone in the Lord if someone is posing a view I see as wrong.

3. I understand completely that you have no desire at all to become a Christian!

4. I cannot personally convert you! I cannot stress that enough. Conversion comes from God Himself. Though He will send people out to share His Word. He will send people out to heal, and care, and give; all sorts of gifts He gives to all sorts of people encourage people toward Him. If you feel any conviction or pull towards Him, it's not from me but God Himself. It can't be from me, I'm just a person He created, who shares God's Word. I'm a sinner, saved by Grace, thank the Lord so much, and He's not finished with me yet. I'm learning as I go.

5. If I see posts where you or anyone talks about God in a wrong way as if he is "evil" of course I'm going to try to share some verses or encourage otherwise, because I know He is good. It goes both ways. Someone shares their view of what they believe, as do I. We both have the right, its called freedom of religion. Thank the Lord we still have it.

6. I know we do not see eye to eye. You have made it clear as day it is not your intention to believe in Jesus Christ. And please know that I'm not trying to hurt you. And I didn't realize I hurt you so much by relating to your personal story, and I'm sorry I don't even remember exactly all what happened, as it's been a while. I'm very sorry for hurting you, really I am. However, if you can try to understand what I believe, (yes, even if you don't agree with it) you can understand that of course I'm gonna go "deep" as I can see where some of your hurts may have come from. I never meant it as an "ammunition" against you at all, no way! Rather only to try to help and encourage you.

7. Yes, since then, you've made it clear, time and time again, you don't want it. For me personally, I can "wipe the dust off" in that regard. I totally understand...I cannot make you or anyone believe in God, Sky.

8. But (here's the biggie here I cannot stress enough) that doesn't mean I'm not going to reply to you on the forum what I believe is your wrong view of God. (Which in hand, you'll come back with your view, etc, etc) So..we go back and forth. Does that mean I don't accept you personally? NO! It only means that I don't agree with your view, (and vice versa) and thats part of why we have these discussions. You share your views, and I reply with my views. We are both adamant of our views. However, if you are feeling a "pull" or something, again, it's not from me, dear woman! It's from God! God's Word is quick and powerful and divides the soul because it is the truth.

Heb 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

9. If you ask questions such as, "How can people believe in a God who...etc" , of course I'm going to try to answer from a point of view of encouraging you to ask Him yourself, or share scriptures, etc. How else should I answer? If you share your perception, I will surely share mine. Aye?

10. I consider alot of this life a spiritual battle. Seriously. A battle for souls. Black and white. God's kingdom, vs, Satans temporary kingdom and Satan hates God and Satan is the deceiver who wants to take as many with him to hell as he can. I believe that God's Word (which is one of the Names of Jesus Christ) is SO powerful. That is why some take offense to the scriptures; they are either received by them, or they are offended. I believe all or lives are in Christ our Lord, He is the beginning and the end. If you think I'm out to harm you or hurt you with sharing my beliefs with you, or that I'm not accepting you, the exact opposite is true. Just because we totally disagree with your view of God, or your lack of faith thereof, that doesn't mean I don't accept you as a person. We may drive each other crazy sometimes, lol, but that's the way it is.

Finally, I realize you may argue and disagree and not even understand this though I'm hoping you do. And I realize it's your right to share your view, that's your right to do so. But again, that doesn't mean I'm going to reply to some of your posts with my views, my experiences with the Lord, etc.

I hope this helps. And I hope you forgive me for hurting you. I'm very sorry that I hurt you. We all have hurts and pains and have suffered, some way more than others. My intentions were never to maim, but rather to encourage with God's love, pointing toward Him. AND YES, I know you don't want it, but hey.. this is me. And I realize you are you. And it's getting late, so I'm probably rambling by now so I better get back to bed here soon, lol.

Fair enough. As long as you don't use my own personal history against me as a weapon, or try to separate me from my path of practice in Buddhism, or try to convert me to believing in your God, or Jesus, I have no problem with you talking about Christianity, which is your right, and is your religion.

I'm sorry that I got angry because I was hurt. I have very good reasons for having walked away from Christianity. Other people have had favorable experiences with it, and to them, and you, it satisfies your soul.

Buddhism does that for me. I understand that you want everyone to be a Christian. I don't want everyone to be a Buddhist, but I wish for your enlightenment, and everyone elses. In Buddhism, the Buddha taught 84,000 different methods, which is why I would never condemn Christianity, even though I reject it for myself. I cannot possibly know all 84,000 methods, so I cannot know whether Christianity may have been one of them.

The Buddha teaches there are many religions because we all have different kinds of minds. Your religion teaches there is only one way.

I am NOT feeling a PULL toward Christianity. In fact, I feel more averse to Christianity than ever, especially after the experiences I've had with some Christians on this forum. I have NOT said that Christianity is an invalid path. YOU have said that about Buddhism. That bugged me. You also questioned my committment to Buddhism. I do not question your committment to Christianity. I would never try and pull you away from it. I reject YOUR religon for MYSELF, but I do not reject YOU as a person, I don't reject Christians as people, unless they start treating me like shit. I reject to being preached to, and having the person doing it have a conversion agenda.

My criticism of church has to do with the RCC, their position on the ordination of women, the Magdalene homes, and the policy of protecting pedophile priests. I criticize Scott Lively and Martin Ssempa, both gay haters in the name of your God. I find the view of God expressed in bible verses to be "ungodly" and I reject the bible for it's fear based views. You have not walked in my shoes, and you do not know how healing it's been for me to convert to Buddhism. Please do not try and separate me from Buddhism. It saved my life.

Perhaps, you can put in a good word for me with some of your friends, who'd like to rip my head off.

Take care,

Sky

Last edited:
Patience is another spiritual quality and a practice. I have a lot of patience for some people and situations. I have NO patience with Scott Lively and Martin Ssempa. They need to be stopped.

Last edited:
Patience is another spiritual quality and a practice. I have a lot of patience for some people and situations. I have NO patience with Scott Lively and Martin Ssempa. They need to be stopped.

Nobody gives a fuck about Scott Lively or Martin Ssempa!!! :cuckoo:

Nobody gives a fuck about Scott Lively or Martin Ssempa!!! :cuckoo:

I do. They support gay genocide. Of course, you don't give a FUCK about that. I've yet to see ONE Christian here be concerned about them.

You can bet your ass if Christians were threatened like that, you'd be SCREAMING your head off. I would join you. No one deserves to be targeted for hate like that.

I would stand up for Christians freedom and right to live.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back