Universal Spiritual Qualities

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
Love
Compassion
Joy
Equanimity

In Buddhism, these four have specific meanings. What are the qualities you identify as univeral.

I posted these because belief in God is not required for any of them.

If you want the Buddhist meanings of these, let me know and I'll post them. Otherwise, add your own and discuss.

Love
Compassion
Joy
Equanimity

In Buddhism, these four have specific meanings. What are the qualities you identify as univeral.

If you want the Buddhist meanings of these, let me know and I'll post them. Otherwise, add your own and discuss.

They are not universal spiritual qualities.... they are the ideals to strive for.

Most if not all.. fail

Thanks, T.

I'd have to say compassion trumps them all. You can't have love without compassion. Joy is a selfish trait, and equanimity sounds like a fruitless endeavor.

• Banned
Love
Compassion
Joy
Equanimity

They are not universal spiritual qualities.... they are the ideals to strive for.

Most if not all.. fail

They are qualities, they are ideals, and they are spiritual practices.

In Buddhism, compassion is the sincere desire for other beings to be free of suffering and the causes of suffering.

Love, in Buddhism, is the sincere wish for another being to be happy, and to have the causes of happiness.

Joy, in Buddhism, in rejoicing in the good fortune of others.

Equanimity is the equal kind regard, for all beings, without exception, to have happiness and it's causes, be free of suffering and the causes of suffering, and have joy and the causes of joy.

Love
Compassion
Joy
Equanimity

Most if not all.. fail

In Buddhism, compassion is the sincere desire for other beings to be free of suffering and the causes of suffering.

Love, in Buddhism, is the sincere wish for another being to be happy, and to have the causes of happiness.

Equanimity is the equal kind regard, for all beings, without exception, to have happiness and it's causes, be free of suffering and the causes of suffering, and have joy and the causes of joy.

qualities are something you have and or posses..... religions do not have them...nor do the people who practice them. It is an ideal to strive for.....

saying that you have them or that your religion has them is rather self serving, arrogant, self centered and vein.

all of those ideals are something you want your religion or yourself to have.

Most if not all.. fail

qualities are something you have and or posses..... religions do not have them...nor do the people who practice them. It is an ideal to strive for.....

saying that you have them or that your religion has them is rather self serving, arrogant, self centered and vein.

I disagree with you. Individuals do have loving, compassionate, joyous, and equaniminous qualites.

Religion is unnecessary for an individual to engage in those practices and develop those qualities.

I offered Buddhist definitions of the words out of general interest.

Last edited:

I disagree with you. Individuals do have loving, compassionate, joyous, and equaniminous qualites.

Religion is unnecessary for an individual to engage in those practices and develop those qualities.

They would like to think that they have those qualities. They may have them...at times. No one is perfect...and all fail.

They would like to think that they have those qualities. They may have them...at times. No one is perfect...and all fail.

I'm not claiming I have these qualities. I know people who do. They are also practices.

Wishing prayers. "May you have happiness and the causes of happiness."

"May you be free of suffering, and the causes of suffering."

"May all beings without exception be free of suffering and the causes of suffering."

"May you find joy."

Another universal spiritual quality is wisdom. No one religion is the sole source of wisdom.

Wisdom is completely possible without religion of any kind.

Generosity and patience are both spiritual practices and qualities, and neither requires religion.

I'm not claiming I have these qualities. I know people who do. They are also practices.

"May all beings without exception be free of suffering and the causes of suffering."

"May you find joy."

Did i say anything about you having the qualities? But if you want to talk about you ... thats fine. I think you try very hard at these qualities...i think you succeed a good deal of the time.... you also fail a good deal of the time..... so they are not qualities you have.... they are ideals you strive for.

it is the same with all religions.... written words are not actions.... they are only ideals

"May you find joy."

Did i say anything about you having the qualities? But if you want to talk about you ... thats fine. I think you try very hard at these qualities...i think you succeed a good deal of the time.... you also fail a good deal of the time..... so they are not qualities you have.... they are ideals you strive for.

it is the same with all religions.... written words are not actions.... they are only ideals

I disagree that they are only ideals. HH the Dalai Lama is compassionate, he is loving, he is joyous and he holds every living being in equal kind regard.

"May you find joy."

I disagree that they are only ideals. HH the Dalai Lama is compassionate, he is loving, he is joyous and he holds every living being in equal kind regard.

So is the pope. ....and look at the things he has been up to all his life..

My point is.... no one is perfect. Including the lama. I am sure he has his lapses just as all humans have.

He strives to have those qualities.... he work's at it. That makes the "qualities" nothing more then ideals to work towards.

My point is.... no one is perfect. Including the lama. I am sure he has his lapses just as all humans have.

He strives to have those qualities.... he work's at it. That makes the "qualities" nothing more then ideals to work towards.

OK. I'm going to stop, so that I'm not arguing with you. I didn't say HH the Dalai Lama was perfect. He's not a god. He's a man. He happens to be a very spiritual developed man.

The truth is, we have to practice these qualities daily and demonstrate them in our daily lives.

There are areas of my life where I demonstrate these qualities. Internet posting, unfortunately, hasn't been one of them.

OK. I'm going to stop, so that I'm not arguing with you. I didn't say HH the Dalai Lama was perfect. He's not a god. He's a man. He happens to be a very spiritual developed man.

The truth is, we have to practice these qualities daily and demonstrate them in our daily lives.

There are areas of my life where I demonstrate these qualities. Internet posting, unfortunately, hasn't been one of them.

And there it is in a nut shell. Patrice.... not innately have.

by the way...i did not think we were arguing. You opened a thread of discussion.

Forum List

Back