"Universal Checks" and Gun Registry

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Make no mistake about it.....the Lefties want you to register your gun just like you have to register your car....

"universal" checks mean that anytime there is a private sale of your legal gun you need have the buyer checked out....so how is that supposed to happen if you want to sell or give one of your guns to cousin Joe....?

'universal' checks are just another precursor to creating a 'DMV for guns'......or a 'DGC' (Department of Gun Control)..... in order to make the transfer just like you would transfer a car....all complete with taxes and fees and gun insurance of course...

this way the State would have tabs on all guns....who, what, where, how many, etc.

here's a Californian leftie proposing outright Gun Registry....

Registering and licensing your sports car, SUV or 4x4 truck does not breech any guaranteed rights. Neither will registering your handgun or hunting rifle.

Yet today there is no state registry of gun ownership. We do know 800,000 firearms were sold in California in 2012, most to persons purchasing more than one. No one knows the total number of guns in the state, who possesses them or how competent the owners are to use them.

When I was advocating gun-control legislation as a politician, I got a concealed-weapons permit after numerous threats on my life. To obtain it, I had to register the gun with the state Department of Justice through a legitimate dealer using the state's Dealer Record of Sale form. (This information is not entered into any DOJ database.)

I had to pass the state check to see if I was a felon or had outstanding arrests, warrants or court orders. I had to take a gun-safety course taught by the sheriff's department. That included demonstrating minimum proficiency at the firing range using the gun I registered and would carry. I had to obtain and maintain $1 million in liability insurance. And I had to reapply bi-annually.

Everyone who owns a gun should have to do likewise - just as any motorist must do now to own and drive a car. A public interest clearly exists. California has been a leader in gun safety before. It can be again.

Read more: State can register cars; why not guns? - SFGate

Forum List

Back