Universal background checks

Having a law that requires every gun sold by a private citizen has to go through a licensed dealer is completely unenforceable. How will the ATF know if someone sells a gun if it is not handled through a dealer?

For one thing, the seller would be incintized to transfer the gun in front of a notory public, just like he would with a car, so that no liability would accrue to him in the event that the gun was used to commit a crime. Second, the range masters would check reistration and ID before allowing anyone to access the range. Third, law enforcement could check for registraion, in the event that they come across someone using a firearm, just like a game warden checks for a hunting and fishing license when he comes acroos someone doing either of those things. As for using a gun on your private land, if you live in the city limits of virtually any city in America, it is already illegal for you to fire a weapon within the city limits, except at licensed ranges.

Yeah, you want registration. That is exactly why people are fighting this.

I humbly acknowledge that I do not have the answer to every problem...and registration of guns is not going to solve the gun problem, but it would make it possible for law enforcement to stop felons from legally buying a gun, and that's a start.

Felons can't legally buy a gun.

Yet, they do it every day at guns shows, on Craige's list, and person to person, and there is no law enforcement tool to curb it from happening.

How many guns do people buy or sell on Craig's List?

I humbly acknowledge that I do not have the answer to every problem...and registration of guns is not going to solve the gun problem, but it would make it possible for law enforcement to stop felons from legally buying a gun, and that's a start.

Yet, they do it every day at guns shows, on Craige's list, and person to person, and there is no law enforcement tool to curb it from happening.
They do not LEGALLY buy a gun at gun shows...

And your solution would not solve that problem at all, as criminals will still buy guns without any curbs from law enforcement. It will inconvenience a lot of people, make the process more expensive, and eventually lead to registration.

After some research I can now distill the gun show debate into a few pithy lines:

Anti-2nd Amendment Lobby says, "CLOSE the gun show loophole!"

2nd Amendment loyalists respond, "Uhmm. There is no gun show loophole."

Anti-2nd Amendment Lobby says, "CLOSE it anyway!"

The end.

Yeah, you want registration. That is exactly why people are fighting this.

Lets register bad guys & publish the list of bad guys who are not allowed to have a gun. Then the public can keep an eye on them. It will work just like the sex offender list. You would not let a registered sex offender babysit your daughter. You would not want a crazy person with guns.

Do away with all gun registration list.

But absent the actual mechanics of how such a policy would be implemented, universal registration and background checks is utterly unfeasible.

Forum List

Back