Universal Background Checks

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

Joe Biden Gun Control Recommendations: Background Checks To Be Top Priority

Sam Stein
01/11/2013

WASHINGTON -- Just days before Vice President Joe Biden issues a sweeping series of recommendations on gun policy Tuesday, the outline of his suggestions is coming into focus.

Multiple sources close to the talks tell The Huffington Post that the vice president will make universal background checks for all gun purchases the "top priority" of his suggestions. The idea has broad support among politicians in the wake of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, as well as backing from some traditionally pro-gun rights voices.

<snip>

i'm not really sure what to think about this. on the one hand, it seems to make sense and would help decrease the chance of wackos or criminals purchasing 'legal' guns. however, i believe it will simply cause those people to use illicit methods to purchase guns. somewhat like how prohibition 'worked'.

also, why should we be required to have our personal information opened up to the government for exercising a constitutional right? you can have an abortion with utmost privacy, but, if you buy a gun, your personal information can be posted for all to see in some jurisdictions.

there are less restrictions to vote than buying a gun and i dare say, voting is vastly more important.

How about we start with a Background Check on the President and his entire Cabinet to include all the czars?

Then PUBLISH that info for all to see?

Then go on to Congress, Military Leaders, other High Ranking Civilians.

Then go to States.

How does one 'Background Check' the Universe?

From a practical standpoint, the universe includes the background checkers.

Tell me, how do you do a background check on every sale, without knowing where every gun is? This is a soft way to sell national registration. I won't go there.

Tell me, how do you do a background check on every sale, without knowing where every gun is? This is a soft way to sell national registration. I won't go there.

We could fix this problem fast and furiously. We just need the right people.

Then you'll go to jail and be a bigger bitch than you already are.

Then you'll go to jail and be a bigger bitch than you already are.

I think you have the mistaken impression you have the majority opinion on this issue. You're believing too much of your own propaganda.

How does one 'Background Check' the Universe?

From a practical standpoint, the universe includes the background checkers.

I volunteer

th

It has to involve gun manufacturers and bans/restrictions on the types of guns they can produce and sell. The same with people who sell guns--certain types of guns cannot be sold legally in the US.

Then there have to be laws with severe penalties to owners who allow their guns to be used by family members and friends. If the shooter's mother in Sandy Hook had lived and such laws were on the books, she would have to serve a jail term for teaching her mentally unbalanced child about guns and allowing him to be around them so he could access them. She should have had them locked away in a storage building off the premesis. She might also (and others like her) be charged with manslaughter for allowing access and teaching him how to use a gun. No person under 18 should be able to handle or own a gun.

There are other things that could be done also. In Israel, background checks involve mental health checks and the applicant has to see a doctor and be certified okay to own a gun. Every three years a person has to re-apply and also have the mental health check again. Also, people who are approved can only own one gun. All ownership is for handguns only (for personal use). Only professionals are allowed to have rifles and other types of weapons.

Last edited:
i'm not really sure what to think about this. on the one hand, it seems to make sense and would help decrease the chance of wackos or criminals purchasing 'legal' guns. however, i believe it will simply cause those people to use illicit methods to purchase guns. somewhat like how prohibition 'worked'.

also, why should we be required to have our personal information opened up to the government for exercising a constitutional right? you can have an abortion with utmost privacy, but, if you buy a gun, your personal information can be posted for all to see in some jurisdictions.

there are less restrictions to vote than buying a gun and i dare say, voting is vastly more important.

I think EVERY person in America should be required to carry one form of ID, that ID would confirm your residency status, your eligibility to drive, your eligibility to vote, your home address , your passport information , EVERYTHING.

Actually, I change that , no one should be REQUIRED to have it, but if you don't then you have access to nothing.

End of discussion.

What the hell is a "universal background check"?

How is it different from the background check that is currently done on firearms purchasers in all 50 states?

How are private gun sellers/buyers going to perform these "universal background checks", and who is going to PAY for them?

I think EVERY person in America should be required to carry one form of ID, that ID would confirm your residency status, your eligibility to drive, your eligibility to vote, your home address , your passport information , EVERYTHING.

Actually, I change that , no one should be REQUIRED to have it, but if you don't then you have access to nothing.

End of discussion.

Papers, pleeeeeaaaasssseee. Yes mine fuhrer.

Multiple sources close to the talks tell The Huffington Post that the vice president will make universal background checks for all gun purchases the "top priority" of his suggestions. The idea has broad support among politicians in the wake of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, as well as backing from some traditionally pro-gun rights voices.

The idea has broad support among those who would further diminish our Constitutional protections.

The young maniac who shot up Sandy Hook Elementary would not have been stopped by a background check, because the guns he had were stolen from his mother, who had passed all background checks to legally own them.

The only thing that would have stopped the massacre at Sandy Hook would have been a legally armed adult on the grounds of the school, preferably in the main office where the killer went first to massacre the staff before going on to the classrooms to kill students.

-- Paravani

The idea has broad support among those who would further diminish our Constitutional protections.

It's apparently not too constitutionally problematic because the last sentence says that many pro-gun groups support it.

I also like the idea, and hope it includes scrutiny on those w/mental health issues and the usual such as criminal records. I also support closing the gun show loophole which would prohibit the selling of firearms without a background check at a gun show.

It's apparently not too constitutionally problematic because the last sentence says that many pro-gun groups support it.

I also like the idea, and hope it includes scrutiny on those w/mental health issues and the usual such as criminal records. I also support closing the gun show loophole which would prohibit the selling of firearms without a background check at a gun show.

I'm amazed you would be so willing to submit to the same schemes used by every totalitarian government in history. Knowing where arms are, is the first step in confiscation, and universal background checks are impossible without national registration. Registration will come with all the fees required to support another bureaucracy which in themselves will infringe on the right, which is constitutionally problematic. Incrementalism is the hall mark of the totalitarian, they will deny our rights one byte at a time.

Why does it have to be national? The feds can make it a state funciton, those states who care not who buys guns can be cut from revenue sharing.

Forum List

Back