Unity is dead

Unlike you and Blie I don't attach God like status to any OS and go all jihad when someone questions it..........
Same shit, different post. I didn't do that, you're a liar. I'm not the one misrepresenting what OSes do or don't do.
Coulda fooled me Blie....... Uuuummmm what was your name again?
I didn't say you were misrepresenting, I said you were blindly defending against all dissent, perceived or otherwise.
Still no answer on what I said that was incorrect, just more personal insults. Who do you think you fooled?
Don't like your own medicine? Go figure.........
(Maybe you'll now get part of my point...... Though I doubt it.......)
....still nothing.
This is true, still nothing in the way of you're "getting it".......... Want some more of your own medicine? I'm happy to oblige....... Fanboy........ :eusa_whistle:

Same shit, different post. I didn't do that, you're a liar. I'm not the one misrepresenting what OSes do or don't do.
I didn't say you were misrepresenting, I said you were blindly defending against all dissent, perceived or otherwise.
Still no answer on what I said that was incorrect, just more personal insults. Who do you think you fooled?
....still nothing.
This is true, still nothing in the way of you're "getting it".......... Want some more of your own medicine? I'm happy to oblige....... Fanboy........ :eusa_whistle:
How much are the taxpayers paying you to sit on your "disabled" fat ass, play games and create shit on the internet ....Fatboy?

....still nothing.
How much are the taxpayers paying you to sit on your "disabled" fat ass, play games and create shit on the internet ....Fatboy?
Tissue?

....still nothing.
Tissue?
Still can't handle a taste of your own medicine, can ya....... :lmao:

....still nothing.
Tissue?
You're down to replying to yourself.

....still nothing.
Tissue?
You're down to replying to yourself.
Oh the irony!!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I have had issues with Mint networking on multiple occasions. The issue was networking between Windows PCs and Linux PCs. Figuring out how to get it working properly was something that I am confident many PC users would not have been willing or able to deal with. I've had the same sorts of issues trying to get games to play on Linux. In the past week I've found videos that would not play on VLC on Linux, but played fine on VLC on Windows.

Linux does not have the support Windows does, it is not a type of OS most people are used to, so it is not as easy to use for most beginners.
People are welcome to chose what they want but the criticisms against Linux are often unfair and designed to scare people off in favor of the 800 lb. commercial gorilla. Propaganda in other words.

Networking? I never dicked around with it. I plug in the cable or click the my wifi once. If yours didn't network with Windows that's the fault of Linux?

The only videos I have had trouble with in the past is Adobe flash in a browser. Happened with Android as well. I don't know the ins and outs but heard flash has security issues and is being replaced. Commercial games developers are in bed with Microsoft, does that need to be explained? I personally would prefer a dedicated gaming machine but it's an unfair criticism against Linux distros.

It's not a matter of Linux being at fault, it's a matter of what people are willing to go out on a limb to try. If someone has a home network with multiple Windows computers, and they decide to try Linux on one computer, and that causes a networking problem.......even if the fault is with Windows, Linux is the "new" OS in that setup and is the one which will likely be blamed, or if not blamed, perhaps given up on because of the issue.

I am not commenting on the efficiency of Linux OS's for someone who is familiar with using them. I am saying that using Linux, even an OS as similar in form to Windows as Mint, can be difficult in certain situations, and I don't think the average PC user wants to have to deal with that sort of difficulty. I don't think the average PC user wants to have to spend the time to become familiar with a new OS, for that matter, even when it's a new Windows.
I suppose they could burn a iso dvd trip, fall on it and slice their neck open. Dangerous stuff!

I don't give a shit what the average pc users wants, fears, likes, hopes for, etc. Why are you throwing all tat drama at me? You MS boys are Moonies.

If I had a dollar for every hour that I had to dick around with Windows I could retire. Yet here you two are telling me not to believe my lying eyes.

The fact that obvious rubs your vagina the wrong way is that Linux is here, it works and does so very well, it's free as are numerous state of the art programs that run like greased lightening and install in seconds. Take Krita for example. Probably the best paint program around, Windows versions come out later since they are so good. Like Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.

If you come here and lie or misrepresent something that you apparently see as a threat I will call you on it, period.

What are you talking about? You are as bad in overreacting against any criticism or perceived criticism of Linux as any Microsoft fanboy.

I have said, more than once, that I use Linux. I have Mint loaded on two of the three computers I use. I dual boot with Win7 on this machine, and I have it on a laptop I use mostly as a media machine.

You may not give a shit what the average PC users want, but that's the basis of this entire line of conversation. IamwhatIseem said that if you took any 1000 people and gave them Linux Mint, they'd wonder why all computers don't use it. I disagreed, and still disagree, with that statement. It clearly has to do with the average PC user. If you don't give a shit, why are you inserting yourself into a conversation about average PC users?

I am not an "MS boy." I use Linux because I was hoping to get rid of Windows entirely. I found that dropping Windows was not a viable option for me, for a few reasons, but I still use Linux Mint, because it is a perfectly good OS, and it's free. It sometimes leads to problems, but I understood that would likely be the case going in. If Linux got the support that Windows does, if I could use it for games, for school, for all of the same things I use Windows for, without problems, I would. The reality is that I cannot.

If you want to argue that Linux is better than Windows, why don't you do that with someone who is actually saying how much better Windows is than Linux. The misrepresentation going on here is you misrepresenting what I have been saying.
You lying asshole. I'm not someone else. The topic is Unity is dead, look it up. Don't use someone else's arguments against me. I addressed some misconceptions about Linux you two mentioned, you can't twist it as me saying something else. If I want to make an argument I'll make it. I don't need the permission of a dipshit on the internet. You came out with some theoretical bullshit about average Windows users. Obviously you feel threatened and you wouldn't be if your were confident. You can't even address the points I made.

The original thread topic is Unity is dead. The conversation I was having, as I explained clearly, was about a statement from Iamwhatiseem. If you can't understand that threads sometimes delve into sub-topics......I honestly don't know what to say to that.

You say you addressed misconceptions about Linux. What misconceptions? If you're saying issues I have had with Linux are misconceptions, that's incorrect. I've had the issues. If you're saying that it is a misconception that Linux is at fault, I never said Linux is at fault. Fault isn't the issue.

When did I "use someone else's arguments" against you? What do I feel threatened by, what do I feel a lack of confidence about? What points have you even made that I haven't addressed? You've mostly seemed to want to throw out insults and make it seem as though I'm claiming Linux is terrible.

For all your talk about others being threatened, lying and misrepresenting, you are the one that seems the most threatened, and the most likely to misrepresent.

People are welcome to chose what they want but the criticisms against Linux are often unfair and designed to scare people off in favor of the 800 lb. commercial gorilla. Propaganda in other words.

Networking? I never dicked around with it. I plug in the cable or click the my wifi once. If yours didn't network with Windows that's the fault of Linux?

The only videos I have had trouble with in the past is Adobe flash in a browser. Happened with Android as well. I don't know the ins and outs but heard flash has security issues and is being replaced. Commercial games developers are in bed with Microsoft, does that need to be explained? I personally would prefer a dedicated gaming machine but it's an unfair criticism against Linux distros.

It's not a matter of Linux being at fault, it's a matter of what people are willing to go out on a limb to try. If someone has a home network with multiple Windows computers, and they decide to try Linux on one computer, and that causes a networking problem.......even if the fault is with Windows, Linux is the "new" OS in that setup and is the one which will likely be blamed, or if not blamed, perhaps given up on because of the issue.

I am not commenting on the efficiency of Linux OS's for someone who is familiar with using them. I am saying that using Linux, even an OS as similar in form to Windows as Mint, can be difficult in certain situations, and I don't think the average PC user wants to have to deal with that sort of difficulty. I don't think the average PC user wants to have to spend the time to become familiar with a new OS, for that matter, even when it's a new Windows.
I suppose they could burn a iso dvd trip, fall on it and slice their neck open. Dangerous stuff!

I don't give a shit what the average pc users wants, fears, likes, hopes for, etc. Why are you throwing all tat drama at me? You MS boys are Moonies.

If I had a dollar for every hour that I had to dick around with Windows I could retire. Yet here you two are telling me not to believe my lying eyes.

The fact that obvious rubs your vagina the wrong way is that Linux is here, it works and does so very well, it's free as are numerous state of the art programs that run like greased lightening and install in seconds. Take Krita for example. Probably the best paint program around, Windows versions come out later since they are so good. Like Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.

If you come here and lie or misrepresent something that you apparently see as a threat I will call you on it, period.

What are you talking about? You are as bad in overreacting against any criticism or perceived criticism of Linux as any Microsoft fanboy.

I have said, more than once, that I use Linux. I have Mint loaded on two of the three computers I use. I dual boot with Win7 on this machine, and I have it on a laptop I use mostly as a media machine.

You may not give a shit what the average PC users want, but that's the basis of this entire line of conversation. IamwhatIseem said that if you took any 1000 people and gave them Linux Mint, they'd wonder why all computers don't use it. I disagreed, and still disagree, with that statement. It clearly has to do with the average PC user. If you don't give a shit, why are you inserting yourself into a conversation about average PC users?

I am not an "MS boy." I use Linux because I was hoping to get rid of Windows entirely. I found that dropping Windows was not a viable option for me, for a few reasons, but I still use Linux Mint, because it is a perfectly good OS, and it's free. It sometimes leads to problems, but I understood that would likely be the case going in. If Linux got the support that Windows does, if I could use it for games, for school, for all of the same things I use Windows for, without problems, I would. The reality is that I cannot.

If you want to argue that Linux is better than Windows, why don't you do that with someone who is actually saying how much better Windows is than Linux. The misrepresentation going on here is you misrepresenting what I have been saying.
You lying asshole. I'm not someone else. The topic is Unity is dead, look it up. Don't use someone else's arguments against me. I addressed some misconceptions about Linux you two mentioned, you can't twist it as me saying something else. If I want to make an argument I'll make it. I don't need the permission of a dipshit on the internet. You came out with some theoretical bullshit about average Windows users. Obviously you feel threatened and you wouldn't be if your were confident. You can't even address the points I made.

The original thread topic is Unity is dead. The conversation I was having, as I explained clearly, was about a statement from Iamwhatiseem. If you can't understand that threads sometimes delve into sub-topics......I honestly don't know what to say to that.

You say you addressed misconceptions about Linux. What misconceptions? If you're saying issues I have had with Linux are misconceptions, that's incorrect. I've had the issues. If you're saying that it is a misconception that Linux is at fault, I never said Linux is at fault. Fault isn't the issue.

When did I "use someone else's arguments" against you? What do I feel threatened by, what do I feel a lack of confidence about? What points have you even made that I haven't addressed? You've mostly seemed to want to throw out insults and make it seem as though I'm claiming Linux is terrible.

For all your talk about others being threatened, lying and misrepresenting, you are the one that seems the most threatened, and the most likely to misrepresent.
I was not having that conversation, it was not my point at all. You keep wanting to knock Linux because it doesn't play nice with Windows in your opinion. That isn't a fair minded criticism. So you instead tried to make the argument to be something else. I don't care what other people do/not do or how many Windows users there are. It's a dishonest argument when talking about an alternative. A free one that apparently threatens some. When did I say anything about market share?

How am I threatened? I have no stock in Linux, I don't gain personally. Someone else can spend all the money they want. I haven't spent a dime on ANY software going on 6 years now and I watch HD movies, music, run a business, do art, etc. Everything I've plugged in works. I don't particularly need any approval but will let others know it isn't as you MS goons make it out to be. It's like talking to cultists that claims you are the one in a cult due to your non belief and heresy.

I was not having that conversation, it was not my point at all. You keep wanting to knock Linux because it doesn't play nice with Windows in your opinion. That isn't a fair minded criticism. So you instead tried to make the argument to be something else. I don't care what other people do/not do or how many Windows users there are. It's a dishonest argument when talking about an alternative. A free one that apparently threatens some. When did I say anything about market share?

How am I threatened? I have no stock in Linux, I don't gain personally. Someone else can spend all the money they want. I haven't spent a dime on ANY software going on 6 years now and I watch HD movies, music, run a business, do art, etc. Everything I've plugged in works. I don't particularly need any approval but will let others know it isn't as you MS goons make it out to be. It's like talking to cultists that claims you are the one in a cult due to your non belief and heresy.

You clearly want to argue with someone, and you want it to be someone you can consider an "MS goon." It doesn't seem to matter whether that person actually is what you want them to be or not. I am not an MS goon. I use Linux, I've said that I would like to be able to use Linux exclusively, but it does not work for all the things I want to do on the PC. That's almost certainly not because Linux doesn't make for a capable OS, but because Linux doesn't get the support from software developers. That's unfortunate, but objectively true. If you consider that an offensive criticism, that's your own problem, not mine. ;)

You clearly want to argue with someone, and you want it to be someone you can consider an "MS goon." It doesn't seem to matter whether that person actually is what you want them to be or not. I am not an MS goon. I use Linux, I've said that I would like to be able to use Linux exclusively, but it does not work for all the things I want to do on the PC. That's almost certainly not because Linux doesn't make for a capable OS, but because Linux doesn't get the support from software developers. That's unfortunate, but objectively true. If you consider that an offensive criticism, that's your own problem, not mine. ;)
You clearly want to argue with me. I don't care how butthurt you get. The fact that it doesn't do everything for you is supposed to mean what to me? What do I need that I don't have? Which developer do I need?

You clearly want to argue with me. I don't care how butthurt you get. The fact that it doesn't do everything for you is supposed to mean what to me? What do I need that I don't have? Which developer do I need?

What it means is that your complaints that I am an MS goon, that I'm lying when I talk about problems I've faced with Linux, are untrue.

You started arguing with me. Want to stop? Fine by me.

What it means is that your complaints that I am an MS goon, that I'm lying when I talk about problems I've faced with Linux, are untrue.

But your complaints all center around Windows as a shortcoming of Linux. That's my point. It isn't as prominent, didn't network with a Windows machine, average users don't want to bother, etc. None of those are a flaw with Linux distros.

But your complaints all center around Windows as a shortcoming of Linux. That's my point. It isn't as prominent, didn't network with a Windows machine, average users don't want to bother, etc. None of those are a flaw with Linux distros.

As I've said more than once, it isn't about Linux distros being flawed, or poorly made. It's about ease of use, and the way that not all software being compatible with Linux hurts it. One of the main reasons I still use Windows is games. I've talked with Ringel about this on the site before. It would be great if more game designers put out Linux versions. There are some, but most games still don't do so. Wine is a good workaround.....but it's certainly not perfect. At this point, it's better, or at least easier, to continue using Windows for games.
I have similar issues with school. My online classes sometimes have Windows/Mac requirements, they don't support Linux. Again, that's in no way a flaw of the Linux distros, but it still means that Linux is not going to work for me.

I don't know enough about the programming to make any sort of judgement about Linux vs Windows vs Mac as far as which is put together better. There are features in Mint I have preferred to Windows, and vice versa. Even there, a lot of it is due to familiarity.

You've been seeing my comments as though I am dissing Linux because it is poorly made or has crappy design. My complaints, or comments, are not about that. They are about the difficulty in using an OS that does not get support from many software makers, that does not have the money or large structure behind it a huge company like Microsoft has, and that is not always in the familiar Windows (or Mac) style. Using a Linux distro, even one as similar to Windows in feel as Mint, requires some adjustment and learning. That doesn't make it bad, it just makes it harder to convince the average PC user to try IMO.

I was never trying to say that Linux distros are bad design.

Definitely install YUMEX then there's something else so you don't have to type root in every time.
I'm so used to sudo apt-get...........

Change to Yum install and you will win!

I swear!
You'll be happy to know I've decided to give Fedora another shot and not just a quick "look see". It's definitely going to be a bit of a learning curve and as usual I'm going with the land yacht version.......... I started this morning just after midnight........, finally went to bed around 2:30 am.........
The install (Fedora 26) is quite attractive looking but not as easy as Ubuntu/Mint installs which specifically asks if you want to use the entire disc or not giving easy select options. Fedora's disc selection option left me scratching my head and fumbling around in the blind clicking on what appeared to be the best option, that ate up a lot of time. The first go around I messed up the install, again lack of clear instructions on Fedora's part so had to reinstall it, not a very auspicious beginning........
I'll give it one thing so far even the land yacht version is fast, very fast, it almost does what I want it to do before I actually think about it. I was looking to install some packages and update via terminal but had forgotten about SU and didn't know how to use it, read about it this morning, we'll see how that goes.........

Forum List

Back