United we stand, Divided we fall?!?!?

Are we all Americans?

• Yes

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is a concept that I learned when I was itty and bitty.. It also happens to be a concept in our pledge of alligence..

So are we? Are we one nation??

I have been on these boards a couple of months now and I can't say that I see that we are..

Conservatives are hell bent on doing everything they can to hate and stop liberals from doing anything.. There is no sense of team spirit what so ever.. To be fair, some liberals aren't much better..

Gay marriage?? Are not homosexuals americans?? Do they not deserve the same rights and privileges as the rest of us.. They do not have the same rights and privileges as straight people do.. Straight people can marry who they are in love with.. Homosexuals can't.. There is a difference..

Abortion? The bottom line here is that it is currently legal.. Roe V. Wade made it legal and that is the current law of the land.. So to hold a current healthcare bill back because of funding for abortion is stupid.. It is the law, and that is the way it is..

Obama?? What has this person done to any of you to deserve your hatred and disrespect? He is your president and that is the simple truth.. It is your duty as an american to do anything you can to help him and this government to succeed.. If our government succeeds, then we succeed.. Lower taxes isn't the solution for everything.. That isn't to say that raising them is either.. But our government can't run on air.. It needs funding..

Religion is a major issue inour nation.. As the line on most issues can be drawn right down religious lines..

The facts of the matter are this.. This nation was never created with the intent of being a christian nation.. Most of our founding fathers were not christian.. They came here looking for religious freedom.. The very first amendment gives all of us that freedom.. That amendment does something else as well.. It seperates church and state.. A government simply can't govern a people of many religions unless the government is free from all religions..

We are all americans..

Some of us are conservative and some are liberals..

Some of us are christian and some of us are not..

But we are all americans.. It is time we start acting like it..

What say you?
:cool:
Yeah and any traitor who doesn't agree can just go live in another country. DAMMIT!

Oh, we are definitely going to FALL.....because we are definitely DIVIDED....

so, I suppose that is our destiny....we FALL, we lose what we once knew as the UNITED States of America....so be it...IT IS WHAT YOU ALL WANT.

Things will NOT change just because ones own party is in control, even though every body seems to think so when they are in the minority....

Oh, we are definitely going to FALL.....because we are definitely DIVIDED....

so, I suppose that is our destiny....we FALL, we lose what we once knew as the UNITED States of America....so be it...IT IS WHAT YOU ALL WANT.

Things will NOT change just because ones own party is in control, even though every body seems to think so when they are in the minority....
What do you mean by "we lose what we once knew as the UNITED States of America"?

I'm always intrigued when someone says something like this. Usually they 'recall' something that never really was. As if America was once like a Norman Rockwell painting.

Ever since I can remember, there has been change and sometime upheaval in America. I was born in 1957. Schools were segregated as were hotels and restaurants. We made things here like steel and cars and televisions. We had a definite foe in the Soviet Union and drilled our school children to duck and cover in lieu of nuclear annihilation. Women's rights were a pipe dream, as were gay rights.

I wonder what it was about America then that rings so nostalgic.

I'm not too far behind you....

What we once had was a United states of America......

Where we are going is the desolving of such, one piece at a time.

I do not remember people HATING EACH OTHER, DESPISING EACH OTHER for simple political differences....maybe you do? I remember civil discourse for the most part on most issues other than biggies like the vietnam war..

I am a Democrat, my husband is a Republican...our families got along.....my husband and I get along and would never let political differences get in the WAY of real life.

I guess they feel that property rights trump personal rights.

What "personal" rights do you think you have which "trump" my unalienable right to my own property??? :eusa_eh:
My personal right to breathe clean air trumps your right to pollute with your factory. My personal right to be secure in my investments trumps your right to run a ponzi scheme. My personal right to serve my family nutrious food trumps your right to package cat and call it veal.

I do not remember people HATING EACH OTHER, DESPISING EACH OTHER for simple political differences....maybe you do? I remember civil discourse.

I am a Democrat, my husband is a Republican...our families got along.....my husband and I get along and would never let political differences get in the WAY of real life.

Civil discourse? :lol::lol::lol: After this election I remember on this very board. statements such as.. We won, you lost, sit down and shut the fuck up, let the grown ups run things, you old white republican christians got no power, we don't give a shit what you think, we don't need you.. and bla bla bla.. yes, like I'm gonna stand shoulder to shoulder with that kind of bullshit. I think not. and we won't even go into the nasty way you libtards treated the Palin family.. yep, your asses will reap what you have sowen.

I do not remember people HATING EACH OTHER, DESPISING EACH OTHER for simple political differences....maybe you do? I remember civil discourse.

Civil discourse? :lol::lol::lol: After this election I remember on this very board. statements such as.. We won, you lost, sit down and shut the fuck up, let the grown ups run things, you old white republican christians got no power, we don't give a shit what you think, we don't need you.. and bla bla bla.. yes, like I'm gonna stand shoulder to shoulder with that kind of bullshit. I think not. and we won't even go into the nasty way you libtards treated the Palin family.. yep, your asses will reap what you have sowen.

After the 2000 selection, we heard the same stuff! The 'grown ups' are in charge. The selection process was fair so get over it! Recount?!? We don't need no stinkin' recount!

Please. If you're going to remember, plumb the entire depths of your memory and stop being so selective if you want to keep any credibility.

After the 2000 selection, we heard the same stuff! The 'grown ups' are in charge. The selection process was fair so get over it! Recount?!? We don't need no stinkin' recount!

Please. If you're going to remember, plumb the entire depths of your memory and stop being so selective if you want to keep any credibility.

The 2000 election was settled in the Supreme Court. Yes, it was. and for eight fucking years you dumb libtards used it as a divisive weapon..

I guess they feel that property rights trump personal rights.

What "personal" rights do you think you have which "trump" my unalienable right to my own property??? :eusa_eh:
My personal right to breathe clean air trumps your right to pollute with your factory. My personal right to be secure in my investments trumps your right to run a ponzi scheme. My personal right to serve my family nutrious food trumps your right to package cat and call it veal.

I don't have a right to pollute your air, because it impedes your right to breathe. That said, I don't have a responsibility to provide you with air, clean or otherwise.

I don't have the right to steal your money, because its your property. But I don't have an obligation to replace your money if you lose it of your own stupidity. Investments, by nature, are wagers.
(You might want to talk to your representative about that Ponzi scheme thingie. Weird, that Bernie Madoff went to prison for something our federal government does every day.)

I don't have a right to lie about whatever product I sell, but I don't have any responsibility to feed YOUR family.

The 2000 election was settled in the Supreme Court. Yes, it was. and for eight fucking years you dumb libtards used it as a divisive weapon..
No. We used the lies about WMDs and 'the last throes of the insurgency' and 'we will be welcomed as liberators' and Iraqi oil revenues will pay for the war, and wanted bin Laden dead or alive as issues.

In other words, the very words and deeds of the idiot Bush and his regime.

And now, those who carried water for him and defended his stupidity at every turn are telling us they have the answers. Even after they fouled things up to this point.

Good luck with your spinning! Want some Dramamine?

I don't have a right to pollute your air, because it impedes your right to breathe. That said, I don't have a responsibility to provide you with air, clean or otherwise.

I don't have the right to steal your money, because its your property. But I don't have an obligation to replace your money if you lose it of your own stupidity. Investments, by nature, are wagers.
(You might want to talk to your representative about that Ponzi scheme thingie. Weird, that Bernie Madoff went to prison for something our federal government does every day.)

I don't have a right to lie about whatever product I sell, but I don't have any responsibility to feed YOUR family.
and yet...Environmental regulations are intrusive government growing too big and powerful. Financial regulations are an impediment to Capitalism and against the free market system. Food safety and consumer protection regulations are government getting in the way of the entrepreneur.

Meanwhile, the poor get ripped off, the sick get short shrift and families worry about the safety of each product they buy.

No, we're not "all Americans." The simple truth is, for far too long certain groups of immigrants have come to this country and they have chosen not to assimilate. They have held onto their language, their traditions, their culture. To some degree this is fine. But there was a time when, if you immigrated to America, you learned the language, you adopted it's traditions, you became an American. This is a process that, in the last few decades, has taken a backseat for immigrants when they come to the U.S. Their refusal to become "Americans" could one day very well lead to the Balkanization of this country.

I do not remember people HATING EACH OTHER, DESPISING EACH OTHER for simple political differences....maybe you do? I remember civil discourse for the most part on most issues other than biggies like the vietnam war..

The thing you see dissolving is the U.S. Constitution. This country cannot exist without it. We are too diverse as a people to not have an agreed-upon arbiter of dispute.

Everytime we choose to support a plan which twists its meaning in spirit or in letter... we must deal with the division and tumult such a decision causes. When there's no backstop... there's no resolution of conflict.

Did you have a comment on my post Cuyo?.

Yeah I do. You're fit for a straightjacket.

Ooooooooh! That's quite a rejoinder. My points about the U.S. Constitution being the natural arbiter of disputes and the division caused by the many depredations upon it are quite swept away. :rolleyes:....:lol::lol::lol:

There are two major design flaws in the logic of you, and anyone else who uses "The U.S. Constitution!" as a cheap soundbyte.

First of all, you automatically assume the framers of the constitution would agree with you. Not so. The design and implementation of the constitution was a train wreck; Nobody was 100% pleased with it when they signed. There were federalists and non-federalists in those days as well. Most of the framers were highly educated, highly intelligent people. They provided the constitution in a framework that allows for the constitution to be changed as the country evolved. I think if they were all here now, and saw the United States in a size, population, and economy they never could have imagined -- Most would side with the Dems. It doesn't take a genius to see that Laissez faire politics can and will (and already did) bring this country to its knees.

Second, you assume that all government rights and responsibilities flow from the Constitution. Not so. Just because something is not mentioned by name in the Constitution does not make it illegal. General welfare covers quite a bit. Congress has the ability to grant powers to the government as well.

In short, your interpretation of the constitution is not automatically correct just because you make the statement. Even if it were, We the People trump the constitution. We the People also have the means to amend the constitution, as we have done 27 times.

How about this... 28th Amendment.. "Oh yeah, and we can do healthcare too." If that amendment passed, would you stfu then?

No, we're not "all Americans." The simple truth is, for far too long certain groups of immigrants have come to this country and they have chosen not to assimilate. They have held onto their language, their traditions, their culture. To some degree this is fine. But there was a time when, if you immigrated to America, you learned the language, you adopted it's traditions, you became an American. This is a process that, in the last few decades, has taken a backseat for immigrants when they come to the U.S. Their refusal to become "Americans" could one day very well lead to the Balkanization of this country.

the parents may not meld in, but ALL of their children eventually do....imo hj

Touche on that, the entire economy is a ponzi scheme by definition.

No. We used the lies about WMDs and 'the last throes of the insurgency' and 'we will be welcomed as liberators' and Iraqi oil revenues will pay for the war, and wanted bin Laden dead or alive as issues.

In other words, the very words and deeds of the idiot Bush and his regime.

And now, those who carried water for him and defended his stupidity at every turn are telling us they have the answers. Even after they fouled things up to this point.

Good luck with your spinning! Want some Dramamine?

nope, don't need to drammamine, you used the 2000 election like a political club,, marching in the streets throwing eggs, protesting in short acting like libtards..

and yet...Environmental regulations are intrusive government growing too big and powerful. Financial regulations are an impediment to Capitalism and against the free market system. Food safety and consumer protection regulations are government getting in the way of the entrepreneur.

Meanwhile, the poor get ripped off, the sick get short shrift and families worry about the safety of each product they buy.

Yes. There's a point at which it's all too much. The EPA has declared CO2 a pollutant. We exhale CO2 you know, so now they're within their regulatory right to tell us all to hold our breath. :rolleyes:
Regulating from the Executive Branch via the EPA is doing an end-around on Congress.

Financial regulations that dictate every aspect of the industry ARE an impediment to the free market system. You can't take bankers into the back room, tell them they're gonna take this here little loan or something bad will happen, then they're gonna pay it back with interest, then they're gonna pay some fines on it, and during all that (and maybe even after) you're gonna tell them how to run their business... and then claim it's not outright extortion. If Bennie the New York gangster does it... he gets an orange jumpsuit. But if Ben Bernanke does it, its all good. :rolleyes:

And as to safe food and drugs... do you never wonder what the fuck we're paying for when it takes 20 years to get a new drug to market, less than five to have the ambulance chasers filing class action on it, and entire tomato crops left rotting because they can't identify where a given problem is coming from??? :eusa_eh:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back