"United?" States

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SinisterSilence, Apr 28, 2010.

1. SinisterSilence

SinisterSilence Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can teh Us still be classified as the United States of America? Think about it. THe only yime in recent history that we were "United" was when we wanted to go to war. And even then that only lasted under a year. People are divided as it is. Throw in some politicians and you've managed to create democracy. So ask yourself is the Name "The United States Of America" just a name now or does it still have theMeaning it did when created?

2. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I still see an occasional ragged, faded "United We Stand" bumper sticker. I think it was Richard Nixon who once said that Americans have very short memories.

3. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,720
    It's just a name now. The great divider is hard at work.

4. Conspiracist

Conspiracist Snuggle weather rocks!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +505
    I sadly agree with Willow on this. It seems the rift between races has only grown recently and I believe much of it has been done intentionally.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    Sad, but true, I was hoping one day the race card would be almost invisible, it is as bad now in my opinion, as it was in the 60's, to a point, and only the law is preventing an all out race rebellion in some areas, NOW, add to the mix, since everyone who even hints of using the word 'RACE', thinks BLACK, add LATINOS now. It seems there is no end to conflict and hate and drive-by innuendo which only escalate the already strained tolerance for one another including those of the same 'race'.It's is also clearly demonstrated in the threads in USMB and other sites.

The responsibility for all this B.S. lays at the feet of all of us who perpetuate it's existence.........just sayin

6. Abelian Sea

Abelian Sea o_O

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +177
    There have always been deep divisions. That the name of our country includes the word "united" in the first place is a sign that it is a composite.

If anything, the states are more united now than they have been for most of the nation's history. For a minute there at the beginning, they even had distinct currencies. Less than a century later they were literally at war with eachother.

The rambunctiousness we're seeing these days is nothing new, and tame relative to what we've survived in the past. It's just our style of democracy, bless our hearts.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  7. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I didn't even think about the OP as being related to race relations at all. I'm just about as white as they come, and I'd venture 100% of the people who argue with me on this board are also white.

8. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Hostilities among the tribes may be the same, but the gridlock in Washington it has created is at an all-time high.

9. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Did it have any meaning when the U.S. was founded? There was just as much friction then as there is now, just different issues.

10. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    I'm not even sure you can say they were different issues, if you look at the underlying principles of today's topics. The balance of power between States and the Federal government is a continuing theme. Disparate regional and ethnically-based cultures. Classism. Those are just the top few that come to mind, I'm sure there are many others. I can't remember hearing of any time when the main parties were both this corrupt and irresponsible at the same time, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Our system was designed to run with a certain level of tension, after all. And that can be self-promoting.