United States Prepares To 'Evacuate 230,000 Americans' From South Korea

It is a drill, not the actual evacuation of and it isn't until June that it will be held.

Last edited:
It is a drill, not the actual evacuation of and it isn't until June it will be held.

Got news for you, the military doesn't run these types of drills on a regular basis. They only run these drills when it looks like one could be needed soon.

And, running this drill might do even more to incite N. Korea into doing something stupid.

Well, looney tunes we must be prepared for, but if they felt an immediate threat they wouldn't wait until June for the drill.
It is a drill, not the actual evacuation of and it isn't until June it will be held.

Got news for you, the military doesn't run these types of drills on a regular basis. They only run these drills when it looks like one could be needed soon.

And, running this drill might do even more to incite N. Korea into doing something stupid.

Well, looney tunes we must be prepared for, but if they felt an immediate threat they wouldn't wait until June for the drill.

I said they only do this when it looks like it could be needed soon, never said imminent threat.

And, part of the reason that it is going to be in June is because there is a lot of planning for an event like this. You don't just move 230,000 people on a whim.

Have you ever been involved in the planning of something this big? I never have, and I've been part of the planning teams for a couple of smaller events, and it took several weeks to do.

Probably never been in the military either, which is why you think this isn't anything to be concerned over.

I actually have a number of family in the military. And, unless prior administrations were amiss in not putting together a plan for such an eventuality, I would hope a plan is already in place, just a drill has not been performed before.

I said they only do this when it looks like it could be needed soon, never said imminent threat.

And, part of the reason that it is going to be in June is because there is a lot of planning for an event like this. You don't just move 230,000 people on a whim.

Have you ever been involved in the planning of something this big? I never have, and I've been part of the planning teams for a couple of smaller events, and it took several weeks to do.

Probably never been in the military either, which is why you think this isn't anything to be concerned over.

I actually have a number of family in the military. And, unless prior administrations were amiss in not putting together a plan for such an eventuality, I would hope a plan is already in place, just a drill has not been performed before.

So you've got family in the military, but that doesn't equate to actual military experience. I've got 20 years in the Navy, and yeah, I was on some of the teams that planned operations for the command, and it takes time to get all those things put together.

And not only that, but it costs lots of MONEY. You aren't going to get people out of the country on the cheap. You gotta pay for transportation, fuel, people to get them on transport (probably the military, but they still gotta get paid), etc.

I don't believe they are actually evacuating them. It is the act of pulling it together, training for such a circumstance. And they have already held this drill twice in the last year-
The Evacuation of Americans From South Korea Is Going to Be Rehearsed in June

Korea Times reports." data-reactid="23" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">The drill, due to take place in June, could see troops with the U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) evacuate their family members and other civilians to places such as Japan by transport planes, the Korea Times reports.

Carl Vinson and its accompanying strike group that is headed toward the Korean Peninsula.

The U.S. military’s last evacuation exercise in South Korea took place in October and November last year, after Pyongyang successfully conducted its fifth underground nuclear test in September. It was the first such drill in seven years.

So you've got family in the military, but that doesn't equate to actual military experience. I've got 20 years in the Navy, and yeah, I was on some of the teams that planned operations for the command, and it takes time to get all those things put together.

And not only that, but it costs lots of MONEY. You aren't going to get people out of the country on the cheap. You gotta pay for transportation, fuel, people to get them on transport (probably the military, but they still gotta get paid), etc.

Forum List

Back