united states postal service awareness

Dec 2006: President George W. Bush signs a law requiring the agency to set aside about $5 billion each year for future health benefits of its workers. U.S. post offices are barred from offering non postal services like selling greeting cards or prepaid

How many other agencies, corporations are required to do this?
Looks like Bush likely put the arrow thru the USPS's heart.
Lots of donations from UPS and Fedex?

none are.....the Post Office has enough money in that fund, from what i hear, to cover every worker they have right now.....and some not even hired yet.....yet they are still mandated to do this.....why?...because 5 billion a year is a nice little cash cow for congress....

I'm not sure what this means! Stop investing because you have got enough already? or, stop investing and let the taxpayer do it? And if you don't rely on the taxpayers why are you petitioning Congress? Exactly?

Willow i saw an article saying that the PO has put enough money into that "fund" to cover every employee they have now and some not even hired yet ......and yet they are mandated to keep putting 5 billion a year in that fund of Bush's and the Congress back then.....and they have to petition Congress because they are the only ones who can stop it....remember....everything the PO does or wants to do the US Congress has to say yay or nay....and sometimes they have to go through 4 or 5 Committees before they even get to Congress....

i work for the us postal service and i would like to make the public and congress aware of certain points, first the postal service is not funded by tax dollars it is supported by its own revenue, through serving the public with varieties of mail processing.
as most know the postal service is in financial stress today mainly because of modern times, electronic mail, however congress can help the postal service by allowing them to stop investing money in the retirement system for a while, the postal service has over invested so much that it has put a financial strain as well, also congress needs to allow the postal service to stop sat. delivery across the us this will save mega bucks on fuel alone.
also the post master general needs to put a halt on supervisors using postal revenue for lunches and dinners, you bring it or you buy it, no free lunch, also bonuses for supervisors needs to stop, someone makes 60k to 75k a year giving them bonuses for doing their job is ridiculous, and i may be conserative on some yearly salarys.
also the ps needs a clause to limit workers to age 65, you have people working late 60s 70 up to 80 and believe it or not 90, give a young person a job or allow the ps to save, thank you.

I agree, but it is too bad that peole will lose their jobs because.

From what I understand, the Post Office delivers packages for FedEx and UPS in rural areas. They should simply raise their fees for doing this.

If USPS goes down, mailing packages is going to become a lot more expensive.

From what I understand, the Post Office delivers packages for FedEx and UPS in rural areas.
not just in the rural areas.....i deliver Packages for Fed Ex just about every day......but the 3 delivery giants all seem to work together now doing things for each other.....for Fed-X flying all the PO's First Class Mail the PO allows them to put their Collection Boxes at PO sites......UPS and the PO have a Parcel deal where we will deliver and pick up each others Parcels if requested by each other OR the Customer.....

,...you have people working late 60s 70 up to 80 and believe it or not 90, give a young person a job or allow the ps to save, thank you.

Do they get to draw the USPS funded portion of their retirement at the same time? If not - I don't see the problem. If so, sounds like they just need to make those > 65 choose between drawing their retirement and not working or their salary only and working.

If someone enjoys their work and is still good at it I see no reason to stop them, so long as they aren't double dipping.

,...you have people working late 60s 70 up to 80 and believe it or not 90, give a young person a job or allow the ps to save, thank you.

Do they get to draw the USPS funded portion of their retirement at the same time? If not - I don't see the problem. If so, sounds like they just need to make those > 65 choose between drawing their retirement and not working or their salary only and working.

If someone enjoys their work and is still good at it I see no reason to stop them, so long as they aren't double dipping.

no....your either still working or your Retired....cant do both....not anymore as far as i know.....

From what I understand, the Post Office delivers packages for FedEx and UPS in rural areas. They should simply raise their fees for doing this.

From what I understand, the Post Office delivers packages for FedEx and UPS in rural areas.
not just in the rural areas.....i deliver Packages for Fed Ex just about every day......but the 3 delivery giants all seem to work together now doing things for each other.....for Fed-X flying all the PO's First Class Mail the PO allows them to put their Collection Boxes at PO sites......UPS and the PO have a Parcel deal where we will deliver and pick up each others Parcels if requested by each other OR the Customer.....
Doesn't UPS charge twice as much, though? If I send a package UPS and the PO delivers it, didn't I just get ripped off?

Doesn't UPS charge twice as much, though? If I send a package UPS and the PO delivers it, didn't I just get ripped off?
well let me clarify about the UPS parcels......we will deliver their packages to be mailed if it gets in our system and vice versa (people dropping in the wrong collection box).....or returns that get in our system or someone gives us a parcel to return...we do that out here,i dont know about anywhere else.....but Fed-X we have delivered actual Parcels for them that THEY send to the PO.....we do Airborne alot....

well let me clarify about the UPS parcels......we will deliver their packages to be mailed if it gets in our system and vice versa (people dropping in the wrong collection box).....or returns that get in our system or someone gives us a parcel to return...we do that out here,i dont know about anywhere else.....but Fed-X we have delivered actual Parcels for them that THEY send to the PO.....we do Airborne alot....

Do you know where I can find information on unused postal properties? Why don't the old buildings get sold when a new one is built a few blocks away?

Also, why does it cost me $3 to send a book to someone but it only costs redplum 50 cents to send something bigger? I asked our local (union) manager and he said because redplum drops their catalogs off at distribution facilities and they are pre-sorted and prepaid. Why can't I do the same thing then?

Where does the money to cover last year's $8 Billion shortfall come from if the claim that the Postal Service is not funded by tax dollars?

Why is it a federal crime for me to steal mail but postal service workers who steal mail only get reprimanded or fired and not charged in some cases?

Do you know where I can find information on unused postal properties? Why don't the old buildings get sold when a new one is built a few blocks away?

Also, why does it cost me $3 to send a book to someone but it only costs redplum 50 cents to send something bigger? I asked our local (union) manager and he said because redplum drops their catalogs off at distribution facilities and they are pre-sorted and prepaid. Why can't I do the same thing then?

Where does the money to cover last year's $8 Billion shortfall come from if the claim that the Postal Service is not funded by tax dollars?

Why is it a federal crime for me to steal mail but postal service workers who steal mail only get reprimanded or fired and not charged in some cases?

dam you have a lot of Questions.....

Do you know where I can find information on unused postal properties?

you would have to check with the PO on this one.....

Why don't the old buildings get sold when a new one is built a few blocks away?

not all buildings are owned by the PO.....many are leased....

Also, why does it cost me $3 to send a book to someone but it only costs redplum 50 cents to send something bigger?

redplum may get a deal because of the amount of Mailings they do....

I asked our local (union) manager and he said because redplum drops their catalogs off at distribution facilities and they are pre-sorted and prepaid. Why can't I do the same thing then?

you may be able to....have you checked into it?....

it has used a 15 billion dollar line of credit with the treasury since the early 90's....in the nineties when things were good it was paying it back.....now im not to sure.....

i dont think they get reprimanded....not the ones ive seen who were so stupid....they got fired.....and lost everything invested in their years served....and if you get caught stealing mail.....you get charged.....

So it's mutually beneficial? If that is true, why is the PO in the hole and FedEx and UPS are not?

So it's mutually beneficial? If that is true, why is the PO in the hole and FedEx and UPS are not?

according to the Drivers i talk to on my route those guys are hurting too....volume is down for them too.....and they can run their business as they see fit....they wanna raise prices or do whatever.....they do it.....the PO.....has to go to the Postal Rate Commision,the Postal Board of Governors and then Congress....and this could take years.....and they are Mandated by Congress to not make a profit.....to hopefully break even or as close as possible....

Until Upper Mgmt admits that they are poor Businessmen ,and step down The whole system is revamped, I do not agree to any other solutions. If they are a corporation they should be held accountable for there actions and results, not the working person at the post office, nor the taxpayers. Admit the system is sick then go from there. I am tired of supporting a system that supports failure and the people who created the mess are not held accountable. fire all upper Mgmt take their pensions and benefits. Isn't that what happens to the working person who performs and then gets laid off or fired because of their poor decision making. i bet the people who take their place would do better

This is the result of years of mismanagement by former upper Managers who are currrentlly retired , take their retirement and benefits , They can afford it. Why hurt someone who is just getting by? Make the responsible pay for their actions, Why should the burden be always placed on people who cannot defend themselves, Quit listening to the rhetoric, punish the responsible, This is they only way to bring about any change for the better. Quit taking that is just the way it is for an answer!

i work for the us postal service and i would like to make the public and congress aware of certain points, first the postal service is not funded by tax dollars it is supported by its own revenue, through serving the public with varieties of mail processing.
as most know the postal service is in financial stress today mainly because of modern times, electronic mail, however congress can help the postal service by allowing them to stop investing money in the retirement system for a while, the postal service has over invested so much that it has put a financial strain as well, also congress needs to allow the postal service to stop sat. delivery across the us this will save mega bucks on fuel alone.
also the post master general needs to put a halt on supervisors using postal revenue for lunches and dinners, you bring it or you buy it, no free lunch, also bonuses for supervisors needs to stop, someone makes 60k to 75k a year giving them bonuses for doing their job is ridiculous, and i may be conserative on some yearly salarys.
also the ps needs a clause to limit workers to age 65, you have people working late 60s 70 up to 80 and believe it or not 90, give a young person a job or allow the ps to save, thank you.

So you're begging us to allow the Postal Service to underfund your pensions? What's wrong with this picture? ALL govt pension funds are underfunded. I predict that this is our next great national bubble ready to burst. With the market depressed like it is -- you could see States and Cities and YES the USPS not able to pay the increasing number of retirees and YOU'LL be right back here with your paws out.. Just about when YOU helped cause the next recession..

As for this little charade of "not costing taxpayers a penny" --- I KNEW the minute I saw the P. Workers crafty TV commercial that something bad was coming.. Interesting definition of "not a penny" when your GAS is tax-free, your buildings are tax-free and loan guarantees are always an option.

If your gas and infrastructure wasn't tax-free -- you'd be delivering in Chevy Volts and working out of supermarkets.

Last edited:
If the post office is so independent and divorced from the taxpayers -- why are they REQUIRED to participate in the GOVT pension system anyway? I know Harry or someone said it's so that Congress can get it's paws on the fund and drain the life out of it.

Don't understand this claim to independence when their rates, their employee benefits service, their products and services are all controlled by Congress. OF COURSE it's costing the taxpayers MORE THAN a PENNY.. Stop lying to us and we'll give a shit..

The postal service also has one of the highest funded pension systems in the USA.

Yep...and work like union workers too.

Lets see.... in the last week or so. I was delivered a bracelet that belonged to my neighbor. The package i was expecting is lost into oblivion. I got a letter today that should go across the city in a different zip code.

Yep... love that union labor.

The postal service also has one of the highest funded pension systems in the USA.

Yep...and work like union workers too.

Lets see.... in the last week or so. I was delivered a bracelet that belonged to my neighbor. The package i was expecting is lost into oblivion. I got a letter today that should go across the city in a different zip code.

Yep... love that union labor.

the UPS guy on my route left a package at a vacant house......it was there for quite a while.....it was weather beaten......yep love that Union Labor......the Federal Express guy left a Package with what the owner of the package said had around 8,000 dollars worth of electronics in it,it was supposed to be signed for, the guy left it at the door anyway.....the wrong door.....love that non- union labor.....the driver was fired also........see it works like that for everyone.....

Forum List

Back