CDZ United States of Laziness?

The OP is a conservative meme. Its purpose is obvious to all except the users. It is a finger pointing device / metaphor for a perception of the working poor and government. Does it serve as a conscience salve for the haves? Or as an apology for corporate greed? Or an illusion that good paying jobs are not being off shored. It raises the interesting question on just how powerful corporate propaganda is when the right sings it as their chorus.

"Corporate propaganda directed outwards, that is, to the public at large, has two main objectives: to identify the free enterprise system in popular consciousness with every cherished value, and to identify interventionist governments and strong unions (the only agencies capable of checking a complete domination of society by corporations) with tyranny, oppression and even subversion. The techniques used to achieve these results are variously called 'public relations', 'corporate communications' and 'economic education'." Alex Carey 'Taking the Risk out of Democracy'

"Historian Phillips-Fein traces the hidden history of the Reagan revolution to a coterie of business executives, including General Electric official and Reagan mentor Lemuel Boulware, who saw labor unions, government regulation, high taxes and welfare spending as dire threats to their profits and power. From the 1930s onward, the author argues, they provided the money, organization and fervor for a decades-long war against New Deal liberalism—funding campaigns, think tanks, magazines and lobbying groups, and indoctrinating employees in the virtues of unfettered capitalism." Invisible Hands The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan Kim Phillips-Fein 9780393059304 Amazon.com Books

The OP is a conservative meme. Its purpose is obvious to all except the users. It is a finger pointing device / metaphor for a perception of the working poor and government. Does it serve as a conscience salve for the haves? Or as an apology for corporate greed? Or an illusion that good paying jobs are not being off shored. It raises the interesting question on just how powerful corporate propaganda is when the right sings it as their chorus.

"Corporate propaganda directed outwards, that is, to the public at large, has two main objectives: to identify the free enterprise system in popular consciousness with every cherished value, and to identify interventionist governments and strong unions (the only agencies capable of checking a complete domination of society by corporations) with tyranny, oppression and even subversion. The techniques used to achieve these results are variously called 'public relations', 'corporate communications' and 'economic education'." Alex Carey 'Taking the Risk out of Democracy'

"Historian Phillips-Fein traces the hidden history of the Reagan revolution to a coterie of business executives, including General Electric official and Reagan mentor Lemuel Boulware, who saw labor unions, government regulation, high taxes and welfare spending as dire threats to their profits and power. From the 1930s onward, the author argues, they provided the money, organization and fervor for a decades-long war against New Deal liberalism—funding campaigns, think tanks, magazines and lobbying groups, and indoctrinating employees in the virtues of unfettered capitalism." Invisible Hands The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan Kim Phillips-Fein 9780393059304 Amazon.com Books

You give me too much credit, dear.

Seems to me work ethic is down the drain...

It's all about get what you can for the least amount of effort.

I have seen this with contractors, they would rather pass up work than do a job for a small profit.
Whoa Nellie. I'm a general contractor. Why would we work for a small profit? It takes money just to ring your doorbell. Licenses, state and local, vehicle fees, having a vehicle, lettering it, advertising, the bond, insurance on the business and vehicle(s). Then there's tools, equipment and materials.

Why do that for burger flipping wages? It would be cheaper to work at McDonalds.

Small profit meaning $1,000 (profit remember, after all the costs associated) - you'd rather have nothing than walk about from a 2 day job with $1,000?
I would take that deal but how do you know their overhead? At $62/hr they may be in the hole.
I'm talking about pure profit, taking overhead into account. I have no clue, but, it's a free market.
It just seems that either they don't want the work unless it's big bucks, or, they charge big bucks and do poor work. That has been our experience. If you don't stay on top of them and monitor their every move, they will screw you. That's what I have found.
It's hard to say with generalities but if you are talking bid work, you normally do a walk through before you pay. Quality people expect this. $62/hr isn't a lot for running a guy or two, you've got to pay them at least $25/hr. Even if you are hiring by the hour you inspect the work after.

There are plenty of good guys out there but be forewarned, many of the review sites are full of BS. Bad business can pay to make bad reviews go away. And add phony reviews, etc. Including sites like Angie's List (they have a class action suit going against them now). The best bet is to ask around.

I have a website and post photos of my work for those that don't know anyone. Also one good guy usually know other good guys in the other trades.

"Historian Phillips-Fein traces the hidden history of the Reagan revolution to a coterie of business executives, including General Electric official and Reagan mentor Lemuel Boulware, who saw labor unions, government regulation, high taxes and welfare spending as dire threats to their profits and power. From the 1930s onward, the author argues, they provided the money, organization and fervor for a decades-long war against New Deal liberalism—funding campaigns, think tanks, magazines and lobbying groups, and indoctrinating employees in the virtues of unfettered capitalism."
Thanks for the morning chuckle.

I have seen this with contractors, they would rather pass up work than do a job for a small profit.
Whoa Nellie. I'm a general contractor. Why would we work for a small profit? It takes money just to ring your doorbell. Licenses, state and local, vehicle fees, having a vehicle, lettering it, advertising, the bond, insurance on the business and vehicle(s). Then there's tools, equipment and materials.

Why do that for burger flipping wages? It would be cheaper to work at McDonalds.

Small profit meaning $1,000 (profit remember, after all the costs associated) - you'd rather have nothing than walk about from a 2 day job with $1,000?

In my personal experiences with contractors and maids, while I have been willing to pay a good amount for the work I wanted, bigger jobs were often taking priority.

THe choice for those who were willing to work hard and/or quality was work or not work, but small job or big job.

It is hard to find good help, ;), and when you do, they can eventually go to bigger better jobs.

Saving up and bundling small jobs into packages has helped somewhat.

I still contract, but only for certain people or jobs......I no longer broadcast my abilities to just anyone...

What kind of physical problems? What kind of work? Like anything else in life, moderation is good. My biggest issue is with the overall "attitude" of the US. YOU OWE ME!
I have a lot of spinal problems....I do construction work and have since 1978....I do all the trades and I am also an Industrial electronics tech and electrician...

sounds like retirement time for you. or at least just have the guys do the work for you.
but you are old school work ethic ... people don't work like that anymore, again, a happy medium.
Can't retire I'm only 54..

I would take that deal but how do you know their overhead? At $62/hr they may be in the hole.
I'm talking about pure profit, taking overhead into account. I have no clue, but, it's a free market.
It just seems that either they don't want the work unless it's big bucks, or, they charge big bucks and do poor work. That has been our experience. If you don't stay on top of them and monitor their every move, they will screw you. That's what I have found.
It's hard to say with generalities but if you are talking bid work, you normally do a walk through before you pay. Quality people expect this. $62/hr isn't a lot for running a guy or two, you've got to pay them at least $25/hr. Even if you are hiring by the hour you inspect the work after.

There are plenty of good guys out there but be forewarned, many of the review sites are full of BS. Bad business can pay to make bad reviews go away. And add phony reviews, etc. Including sites like Angie's List (they have a class action suit going against them now). The best bet is to ask around.

I have a website and post photos of my work for those that don't know anyone. Also one good guy usually know other good guys in the other trades.

We have only asked for referrals from friends and family. Even those have not worked out well, except for the last guy we used. A neighbor recommended him and he did a great job with our siding and trim work. I would never use Angie's List. I'm not paying to see recommendations. We know too many people plus there are too many other free sites on the internet.

I never do, which is why I have high demand...

Hey! no political intellectuals in here please...;)

We have only asked for referrals from friends and family. Even those have not worked out well, except for the last guy we used. A neighbor recommended him and he did a great job with our siding and trim work. I would never use Angie's List. I'm not paying to see recommendations. We know too many people plus there are too many other free sites on the internet.
I don't advertise on Angie's List, cause I won't pay for leads....I get much work for free from Craig's List, I have yet to find a hooker...

Last edited:

I don't advertise on Angie's List, cause I won't pay for leads....I get much work for free from Craig's List, I have yet to find a hooker...

I thought about doing some independent administrative work, looked at a site called "Thumbtack" and same deal, you have to pay for leads. Nah. I can see me losing money instead of making money..........

I thought about doing some independent administrative work, looked at a site called "Thumbtack" and same deal, you have to pay for leads. Nah. I can see me losing money instead of making money..........
You can't trust the internet based business because there is no fraud protection...

Angie's doesn't charge by leads (as far as I know) but they charge you to access the contractors and they make sure the paying contractors are on the top of the heap. And take the reviews with a grain of salt.

I used Home Advisor and they do charge for leads. I pretty much broke even because they send you crap you don't do and don't let people know when they click on a link to see what it costs at least three contractors have to pay for it. Their reputation and complaints were so bad as Service Magic they changed it to Home Advisor.

And I've been to places where a Home Advisor lead generated contractor worked and the HO was not happy. Learned their lesson.

Google charges per click (it's how they got filthy rich) and the bill gets big quick. Yellow Pages seems to be working the best for me. Yelp sucks, no contact ability and they will post anything true or not and not care. They say it's a community service but they will publish libel and outright lies. Ask me how I know.

Forum List

Back