United States Currency Is Racist

no1tovote4 said:
I think the consensus is that a Musician should not grace the currency, it doesn't matter what their "color" might be.

This is a peculiarly American idea. Lots of other countries honor their musicians, composers, artists, and writers.

Hobbit said:
I wasn't calling you a punk. That paragraph was directed towards those who think a black person should be put on money just because they want a black person on money. Your idea with musicians being on there isn't too bad, but I really think spots on American money are too honored to put anyone on there who didn't change the course of our country, and I really can't think of any musician who actually changed anything except music styles and how much teenagers think they're entitled to.

Sorry I misinterpreted you calling me a punk. Musicians have impacted culture in many ways, they just may not be as obvious as declaring a war, or being elected to high office. Notwithstanding that the blacks have currently squandered this goodwill, music (and sports) were precursers to the entire civil rights movement. If not for the warm feelings and human face put forth by people like Nat King Cole or Louis Armstrong, white Americans would not have been receptive to the civil rights movement. People like that represented their race in a positive light, not just a style of music and they didn't even appeal to teenagers. I think you are talking about a later, more commercial, era in music.

I say put madonna on the $3.00 bill...and keep that piece of currency at the same buying power it has now. Then you would reflect the true contribution that particular entertainer has made to the country...which is nothing. Same with Jane Fonda on the $7.00 bill.

When the American musician and artists reach the same heights as Bach, DaVinci, and others of that esteemed body of artists, then we put them on the currency but not one minute before.

Nuc said:
This is a peculiarly American idea. Lots of other countries honor their musicians, composers, artists, and writers.

I didn't say not to honor them, I said to honor them on stamps which are changed regularly and often used to commemorate such contributions. The problem would be selecting which artists to commemorate. One reason we use stamps is there is such a large number of artists, musicians, scientists, etc to commemorate, but a very limited number of bills. We use currency to commemorate those of huge historical significance such as the framers.

Since you didn't read the whole post, or didn't give the appearance of reading the whole post, I will again state somebody that I would approve to be on a bill.

I think Frederick Douglass should be on the currency, his contribution is huge but largely unknown.

no1tovote4 said:
Since you didn't read the whole post, or didn't give the appearance of reading the whole post, I will again state somebody that I would approve to be on a bill.

I think Frederick Douglass should be on the currency, his contribution is huge but largely unknown.

I read it. That would be fine with me. I was in the New York State Supreme Court recently and was pleased to see him included in their mural of history of world justice.

Nuc said:

There is nothing wrong with being peculiarly American. Why should we change the current policy? Those commemorated on bills are those that have made a larger contribution to the Nation itself rather than the contribution of art to all of humanity. We have a tradition that you propose to change because of the color of people on the bill, rather than selecting people who would fit in with the current tradition regardless of their color.

I like the way our Currency honors those that contributed directly to the Nation, I think it is a good idea that should be continued.

Abbey Normal said:
Darn, I guess this means that Mt. Rushmore is racist too.

Well, hell yeah, it is!

Notice how cleverly the evil bastards managed to work the name "Rush" into the title? That's code for "more Rush". Racist pigs.

Abbey Normal said:
Darn, I guess this means that Mt. Rushmore is racist too.

DONT GIVE THEM IDEAS.

I swear to God if I hear a suggestion such as "Well, we could sort of, you know, paint over Thomas Jefferson, he did own slaves after all. Malcolm X deserves to be on Mount Rushmore." I am blaming you.

Nuc said:
This is the best argument against it yet. Hopefully in 50 years the people you mention will be forgotten. Maybe not, though!

Pretty safe bet that Louis Armstrong's place in both music and American history is assured. He did quite a bit of traveling as a cultural ambassador for the State Dept.

I bet if you asked 20 random public school kids black or white who louis armstrong was, at least 15 wouldnt have a clue and the other 5 would think he was a new rapper.

insein said:
I bet if you asked 20 random public school kids black or white who louis armstrong was, at least 15 wouldnt have a clue and the other 5 would think he was a new rapper.

They also don't know who George Washington, Lincoln, Hitler, Nixon or anyone else is. That's kind of my point. Regarding black people, they don't know their own culture. Maybe they should be reminded.
:soul: :arabia: :soul: :arabia:

Nuc said:
They also don't know who George Washington, Lincoln, Hitler, Nixon or anyone else is. That's kind of my point. Regarding black people, they don't know their own culture. Maybe they should be reminded.

Thats fine if they want to do that but there is already enough money spent on reminding them of their culture. Black History month. Black education in public schools. There is enough available information out there for anyone to look up their culture. Force feeding someone information is going to make them any more aware of it and much less appreciate it.

The issue here is that we are America, we dont just put any lame ass pansy on the money. You had to do something big (besides sacagewea).

insein said:
Thats fine if they want to do that but there is already enough money spent on reminding them of their culture. Black History month. Black education in public schools. There is enough available information out there for anyone to look up their culture. Force feeding someone information is going to make them any more aware of it and much less appreciate it.

The issue here is that we are America, we dont just put any lame ass pansy on the money. You had to do something big (besides sacagewea).

key phrase right there. its out there, but no one wants to look it up. they want it handed to them now days.

theim said:
DONT GIVE THEM IDEAS.

I swear to God if I hear a suggestion such as "Well, we could sort of, you know, paint over Thomas Jefferson, he did own slaves after all. Malcolm X deserves to be on Mount Rushmore." I am blaming you.

:fifty:

Nuc said:

We could always put Clinton, the "first black President" on some coin or bill. That would kill two PC birds with one stone, so to speak. :eek2:

Abbey Normal said:
We could always put Clinton, the "first black President" on some coin or bill. That would kill two PC birds with one stone, so to speak. :eek2:

How about Jesse Owens? He kicked ass on the fascists and showed the world the superiority of our way of life.

Forum List

Back