United State of Women

Compost

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2015
I'm roughly the same age as Michelle Obama. I was never refused an opportunity because I am female. Oh. Wait. This is about gender!

First lady Michelle Obama has teamed up with Oprah Winfrey and a host of other women (and one transgender) to host the first ever "United State of Women Summit" at the White House on June 14th.

According to an official release, this summit is a rallying cry for advocates of gender equality and has been put together by the White House Council on Women and Girls, the State Department, the Labor Department and is co-sponsored by Ford, Goldman Sachs, and PepsiCo.

The cast of speakers reads like a liberal who's who: Meryl Streep, Tina Fey, Shonda Rhimes, and Valerie Jarrett, among many others. Transgender actor and star of Orange is the New Black Laverne Cox will also be on hand, as well as Amani Al-Khatahtbeh, founder of Muslimgirl.net, which aims to eliminate stereotypes against Islam and "promot[es] the place of Muslim women in Western societies."

Mrs. Obama wrote some background on why she is calling this summit:

Back when I was a girl, I had all kinds of big dreams for myself. But by the time I started school, I began encountering folks who seemed to doubt my ability to reach my goals:

Teachers who thought girls just weren’t very smart, and would call on the boys in class instead. People who thought a girl shouldn’t have ambition and who would ask my brother what career he planned to have, but would ask me what kind of man I wanted to marry.

I soon realized that the hopes I had for myself were in conflict with the messages I was receiving from the world around me that girls’ voices were

continued here, if you can stomach it.
Michelle O Launches First 'United State of Women Summit'

You must not have tried to be a football player in the NFL 30 years ago...
Who are you talking to? Michelle? Yeah. She coulda been a contender.
No , I am speaking to you, with the one line of original content..
I'm roughly the same age as Michelle Obama. I was never refused an opportunity because I am female. Oh. Wait. This is about gender!

Dear Moonglow,

No. I never wanted to be a football player in the NFL. Strong intelligent women don't want to play football with men who outweigh them by hundreds of pounds.

Best wishes in your chosen path: trolling.
Compost

Dear Moonglow,

No. I never wanted to be a football player in the NFL. Strong intelligent women don't want to play football with men who outweigh them by hundreds of pounds.

Best wishes in your chosen path: trolling.
Compost
I played football, I wish women had played..On the same field we used for practice and games in Moore, Oklahoma, the female pro team practiced also....We'd sit and image how smashed boobs would look under shoulder pads, and would hope for a torn jersey..

must not have wanted to serve in the military in some capacities
I still remember the feminists losing their shit when I made a speech at my state's capitol a few decades ago (in favor of rescinding my state's ratification of the ERA) in which I predicted women would one day demand to serve in combat. They said I was spouting hyperbole.

must not have wanted to serve in the military in some capacities
I still remember the feminists losing their shit when I made a speech at my state's capitol a few decades ago (in favor of rescinding my state's ratification of the ERA) in which I predicted women would one day demand to serve in combat. They said I was spouting hyperbole.
i don't see the connection to the era...

but it's amazing sometimes how short sighted even advocates can be about the distance their cause needs to go

Forum List

Back