United Nation City State

Mr.Conley said:
Where is the contradiction.

Precisely where I said it was:

"It doesn't matter if the rest of the world is wrong or not. As long as the rest of the world supports the UN, we are going to have to deal with it. Thats the, "reality." "

Why are we "going to have to deal with" what you yourself admit will be an irrelevant entity?

Mr.Conley said:
Throughout my statements I have continually said that the United Nations is generally supported globally. That although its existence relies primarily on US funding, the UN is still an institution with a positive image that is generally approved of internationally. Any US effort would unleash a massive wave of anit-americanism.

Oh - you mean, "as opposed to the global love-fest we're experiencing now"?

Mr.Conley said:
As such, we have to deal with the United Nations.

Why? They need US.

Mr.Conley said:
Now back to topic. Do you have anything to say concerning this oil export tax? or the city states

Yes. Screw the U.N..

So basically let's make three mega-bases for UN armies.

Man...where to begin. I think the highlight of hilarity was the part where this idea is supposed to create jobs. For the host country, maybe. For the countries paying the oil tax, it will be yet another job killer, and the world as a whole will have higher unemployment.

It's time to leave the UN. If you want peace and good will between nations, you don't need the UN for that. Free trade and a neutral foreign policy will work better. Leaving the UN will not change the world's* opinion of america. The world* wouldn't give two shits about our membership in the UN if we didn't have military bases in 170-something countries, and spend money on foreign dictators. (Note: by "world" I mean the average man on the street, in other countries. Not blowhard foreign leaders cut off from funding, nor pseudointellectual UN groupies in academia and on the internet.)

Believe it or not, most people around the world want to solve their own problems. Don't think for a second that they are going to change their minds, simply because your army is multinational and wears blue helmets. They're still foreigners in the minds of the locals.

BaronVonBigmeat said:
So basically let's make three mega-bases for UN armies.

Man...where to begin. I think the highlight of hilarity was the part where this idea is supposed to create jobs. For the host country, maybe. For the countries paying the oil tax, it will be yet another job killer, and the world as a whole will have higher unemployment.

It's time to leave the UN. If you want peace and good will between nations, you don't need the UN for that. Free trade and a neutral foreign policy will work better. Leaving the UN will not change the world's* opinion of america. The world* wouldn't give two shits about our membership in the UN if we didn't have military bases in 170-something countries, and spend money on foreign dictators. (Note: by "world" I mean the average man on the street, in other countries. Not blowhard foreign leaders cut off from funding, nor pseudointellectual UN groupies in academia and on the internet.)

Believe it or not, most people around the world want to solve their own problems. Don't think for a second that they are going to change their minds, simply because your army is multinational and wears blue helmets. They're still foreigners in the minds of the locals.
Agreed. The UN's time is done, about 50 years or moreso past done. In any case, kissing it off leaves open the possiblility for something that may work, if we do decide to substitute.

Kathianne said:
Agreed. The UN's time is done, about 50 years or moreso past done. In any case, kissing it off leaves open the possiblility for something that may work, if we do decide to substitute.
But do you want to deal with all the pointless hatred pulling the plug would invoke?

Mr.Conley said:
The UN is exceedingly corrupt. It is one of the most inefficent and powerless organizations created in history. You are correct when stating as such. I agree with you. However, regardless of the problems within the United Nations, most of the rest of the world (eg Europe, China, India, Japan, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, South Korea, etc.) support the UN. Unless we want to engender a lot of pointless bad will we should, if not nessicarily subjecting ourselves to the power of the UN, at least tacitly support the UN and use the organization to achieve what ends we may.

Thank you for stating the obvious, people change their positions. Given the continued support and respect the United Nations recieves globally, I highly doubt that the world will suddenly stop supporting the United Nations anytime within the next 5-10 years (barring, of course, some unseen, world-altering course of events).If you are implying that should the Unisted Sates decide to remove itself from the United Nations, the world would suddenly hate the organization, I disagree. While it would certainly make the UN almost irrelevant, probably leading to its eventual disbandment, I doubt the world will think less of the organization. If anything, I postulate that worldwide support for the United Nations would increase exponentially, that the world would idolize its corpse, declare any future catastrophes as the result of its disbandment, and villify the United States.

Ok, obviously you misunderstood my post. First lets review my post.

As you can see, the first part of my post concerns Kathianne's statemnts about the UN. You respond to this section in the main part of your post. The second half concerns David2004's post about an oil export tax. In this section I state that such a tax would an unprecedented expansion of UN power, and unconsitutional. Because it would be unconstitutional, the US would be forced to withdraw from the organization, and without US support, the UN would lose what lose what relevancy it has left, and likely disband eventually. What you do is try take two obviously unrelated (except insofar as both deal with the United Nations) topics and present them as somehow related. As I have said, without US support the UN probably could not exist long; however, the world won't be happy about it.

When you get to the point when everything you do makes the world unhappy is the perfect time to do the right thing.

Mr.Conley said:
But do you want to deal with all the pointless hatred pulling the plug would invoke?

Yeah. Doing the right thing is just a hassle, isn't it? Do you know satan personally?

Mr.Conley said:
Really, no matter how we try to get along with 'them', we will not succeed. There comes a time to not only cut your loses, but flip them off. This is past time.

Forum List

Back