United Furniture Industries (Lane etc) just laid off ALL employees by text message

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Right before Thanksgiving, too.
icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

If you had an order that was supposed to be out for delivery, this is why it won't be coming if it hasn't already been delivered.

Things will continue to get worse as the economy declines further.

Horrible News - United Furniture (Lane Brand) Lays Off 2,700 Workers Immediately Via Text Message - The Last Refuge

The sorta good news......

The local response has been overwhelmingly supportive. Other furniture manufacturers are reaching out to the employees.

Ashley Furniture (the world's largest manufacturer) had a job fair launched by noon and has a (pretty much) hire on sight policy for laid off employees.

Other local companies are running ads and social media is blowing up asking people to put in applications. The silver lining is that this is a boon for employers that have been struggling to fill vacancies. There is not much else good about the situation.

Businesses go out of business. They have been as long as there have been businesses. It seems the other manufacturers are quick to want to hire the laid off employee's which would indicate they are doing well and need the help.

Lane Furniture will just offshore its manufacturing and only sell retail

Businesses go out of business. They have been as long as there have been businesses. It seems the other manufacturers are quick to want to hire the laid off employee's which would indicate they are doing well and need the help.
It also shows how quick the MS furniture community responded. My understanding is from folks in the area is that there was a lot of "looking out" going on as well as a view to the bottom line.

Their financier pulled their line of credit.

No cash on hand to pay for anything..

Former employees file federal lawsuit against United Furniture

• By WILLIAM MOORE Daily Journal
TUPELO – Less than 24 hours after United Furniture Industries fired its entire workforce, former employees filed two class action lawsuits aga…

Freaking pay-wall but suits have been filed.

Damn, that's where one of my pensions is suppose to come from.... :eek:

I never worked in furniture, but the corporation I had worked for, had bought Lane Furniture, and when Florsheim, the parent company of the company I worked for went belly up, Lane Furniture was one of the only one of their companies in the corporation to survive.... So any of us due a pension in any of their divisions, after bankruptcy, our retirements were negotiated and govt protected somehow and Lane Furniture was the one responsible for them....

I guess I better look in to this....and start drawing that pension asap.... Before something happens to it, again!

This is what they sent their truckers:

Over-the-road drivers that are out on delivery will be paid for the balance of the week. Whether or not you have completed your delivery, please immediately return equipment, inventory, and delivery documents for those deliveries that have been completed to one of the following locations: Winston-Salem, N.C., Verona, Miss., or Victorville, Calif. location. To be clear, do not complete any additional deliveries.

I wonder how many will just abandon their trucks when they have to refuel?

This is what they sent their truckers:

Over-the-road drivers that are out on delivery will be paid for the balance of the week. Whether or not you have completed your delivery, please immediately return equipment, inventory, and delivery documents for those deliveries that have been completed to one of the following locations: Winston-Salem, N.C., Verona, Miss., or Victorville, Calif. location. To be clear, do not complete any additional deliveries.

I wonder how many will just abandon their trucks when they have to refuel?
Good move to alienate your customers who have been waiting months for those deliveries

Forum List

Back