United Farm Workers: Ever think of using convicts to pick those crops?

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by Bullfighter, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +111
    United Farm Workers: Ever think of using convicts to pick those crops?

They've got nothing better to do all day, and it is time they started paying the American taxpayer back for living in those cushy cells. Then the poor migrant could stop complaining about the lazy gringo and go home to their wonderful country.

What about it folks?

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,980
    We already tried that. Only we called it "slavery".

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +111
    No. It's called making them pay their hotel bill.

4. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    I am probably one of they few white folk that has worked as a picker in the ground crop fields and orchards and the reality is farm labor can be hard but enjoyable work that pays reasonable well compared to many other entry level jobs and can provide year round employment..with some modest increases in pay and working conditions it could provide employment to many citizens and should be viewed no differently than any other type of good honest outdoor labor .delegating the harvest to that of job only illegals can or will do is a scam that has been created to save pennies on the dollar and avoid complacency with minimum work place standards..with piece rate bonuses it is very possible for a fit person to make up to a couple hundred dollars a day on many harvest and everyone is at least getting minimum wage or better

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCNFoVVjP1M]YouTube - ‪United Farm Workers Issue Job Challenge‬‎[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  5. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    To replace their depleted Mexican work force, Gebbers Farms posted help-wanted ads for 1,280 jobs picking fruit.

Must be able to lift 60 pounds, climb a ladder while carrying 40 pounds and endure "wet orchards in temperatures from 30 to 100 degrees," the ads said.

Pay: At least $9.19 an hour. But because workers are paid by how much they pick, the average last year was $16.48 an hour for picking cherries and $12.19 an hour for apples, according to the state.

I don't know how many U.S. citizens applied — the state wouldn't say and the farm isn't talking. Obviously, not many. Because the first plane load of 50 Jamaican farm workers shipped out from Kingston to the Okanogan earlier this month.

Up to 300 Jamaicans are expected, to be paid the same rates as stated above. In all, this one farm has applied to bring in more than a thousand temporary foreign workers.

Danny Westneat | The fruits of our labor absurdity | Seattle Times Newspaper

the real solution is to educate people and especially young people seeking summer work an that working hard and being in a beautiful orchard in the outdoors picking cherries or apples orchard and making a 150 to 200 dollars a day is way better than a lot of shit you could be doing and in fact is fun and good for you

6. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    I MEAN REALLY DOES THIS LOOK SO BAD ?. I WOULD EVEN HAVE THE TUNES CRANKED AND BE BLAZIN ONE WHILE I WORKED

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfMyNO3wFBE&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Cherry Harvest‬‎[/ame]

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,978
    Ever pick strawberries? I will NEVER do that again, not even for myself.

8. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    You need to have a good lower back and be able to tolerate the heat for ground crops but I did not mind doing tomatoes and strawberry...the orchards and vineyards are much cooler and you work standing up ,they are definitely more pleasant places to work than the fields

9. Angelhair

Angelhair Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Nothing wrong with bringing in people to do farm work; as long as they return home 'when the work is done'.

10. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Best idea I've heard in months, Kudos bullfighter. Biggest argument in NJ - "who will pick the tomatoes?" Problen solved.