Would you speak up or try to speak reason with someone from the flight crew in a situation like this

• Total voters
United Airlines disaster -- Why didn't anyone stand up for that poor dog?

"How did the family, the witnesses or anyone working on that flight allow this insane act to take place?

No one wants to blame the victim. The family is obviously traumatized and many on the flight with them have posted distraught comments on social media about what happened.

But something is deeply wrong here: No one did anything to stop the stewardess.

One person uncritically following an authority figure is understandable. A plane full of people doing the same is terrifying"
Because...no one wants to end up on a FK'n list. For many people a 'no fly' list ends their career. For a dog?...shiiit..they could have charbroiled that MFer in the isle and people would not have made a fuss.
That's what happens when you give non-judicial power to law enforcement. Flight attendants notify aircrew...aircrew notifies ground...ground notifies security...you made the list...that simple.
Welcome to the War on Turrr Murika.

"Because...no one wants to end up on a FK'n list"

Yeah, that pretty much says it all. I just thought of something, usually there is a ton of video posted on the internet of these types of encounters. No one caught the flight attendant on tape being unreasonable?

"How did the family, the witnesses or anyone working on that flight allow this insane act to take place?

No one wants to blame the victim. The family is obviously traumatized and many on the flight with them have posted distraught comments on social media about what happened.

One person uncritically following an authority figure is understandable. A plane full of people doing the same is terrifying"
9 people said they would have intervened????
I don't believe that.

I should have included a 3rd option of "It depends - if I can afford to be late, lose the job I'm traveling to interview for, check into my hotel late without losing my room, etc."

As a few others have pointed out, if the captain had been notified of the situation he/she might have been able to intervene but if the flight attendant tells you to sit down and you get up anyway, you can be thrown off the plane. And if you need to use the restroom, well too bad ...

I find it more terrifying that you are trying to blame bystanders for the real instigators of this sad event: the people who brought their wee dog onto the plane in the first place.

Bringing animals onto shared transit is a bad idea, unless the animal is a TRAINED service dog.

Bringing animals onto shared transit is a bad idea, unless the animal is a TRAINED service dog.
I don't disagree with this but the fact remains that the airline sold her a ticket which allowed her to bring the puppy onboard. I was just as surprised as you are to learn that this is allowed.

Another poster mentioned that they didn't understand why no one at least checked on the dog throughout the flight. If only a true dog owner had been seated nearby then perhaps the pup would have at least survived the flight.

Its been years since I have been on a plane. Don't they normally have a special area for pets in like the lower part of the plane?

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Small animals can fly in the cabin. They are in small carriers that fit under the seat in front of the owner. I've done it many times. You pay for an extra bag. Large animals travel in large carriers in the cargo part of the plane. The airline is liable to take all precautions for the safety of the animal.

I find it more terrifying that you are trying to blame bystanders for the real instigators of this sad event: the people who brought their wee dog onto the plane in the first place.

You have a completely wrong idea of how it works. The owner has to clear the animal with the airline and pay an extra baggage fee. They don't just carry the animal on board w/o the airline knowing. They have to have a special type of carrier. There are regulations. The cabin crew know all about it and know where the animal is supposed to travel: under the seat in front of the owner. It's common practice.

I don't disagree with this but the fact remains that the airline sold her a ticket which allowed her to bring the puppy onboard. I was just as surprised as you are to learn that this is allowed.

Another poster mentioned that they didn't understand why no one at least checked on the dog throughout the flight. If only a true dog owner had been seated nearby then perhaps the pup would have at least survived the flight.

Considering the sad state of our civil society with people being doxxed and their lives ruined for doing things that unhinged people deem offensive, I don't blame anyone for not getting involved in this circumstance. The legally authorized personnel on the plane insisted the pup be put in the overhead bin. Would you risk being dragged through the plane like the man who didn't want to give up his seat?

You have a completely wrong idea of how it works. The owner has to clear the animal with the airline and pay an extra baggage fee. They don't just carry the animal on board w/o the airline knowing. They have to have a special type of carrier. There are regulations. The cabin crew know all about it and know where the animal is supposed to travel: under the seat in front of the owner. It's common practice.

I have a very good idea of how it works. What used to be a rare occurrence has become so commonplace that shared transit is unendurable due to the smell, hair, and accidents of pets. It's disgusting.

Considering the sad state of our civil society with people being doxxed and their lives ruined for doing things that unhinged people deem offensive, I don't blame anyone for not getting involved in this circumstance. The legally authorized personnel on the plane insisted the pup be put in the overhead bin. Would you risk being dragged through the plane like the man who didn't want to give up his seat?
Yes, I would. And then I'd sue the fuck out of them.

Yes, I would. And then I'd sue the fuck out of them.

Then you are a reckless loon.

I have a very good idea of how it works. What used to be a rare occurrence has become so commonplace that shared transit is unendurable due to the smell, hair, and accidents of pets. It's disgusting.
LOL ~Bullshit. I fly regularly and have never experienced any smell, hair, noise or pet accidents in the cabin of a plain. People like you are what make flying so unpleasant. Mean, angry, self absorbed.

LOL ~Bullshit. I fly regularly and have never experienced any smell, hair, noise or pet accidents in the cabin of a plain. People like you are what make flying so unpleasant. Mean, angry, self absorbed.

And people like you make life in general unbearable. Officious busybodies interfering in other people's lives and space.

I can't say that I disagree with your assessment. It is unfortunate that things have come to this.

I've never experienced it either but I was thinking more from the point of view of people who are allergic to pet dander.

That is one aspect, and a serious one for those who are plagued by allergies.

I have another concern, although this is more applicable to places other than airplanes. I had a staff member a few years ago who was terrified of dogs. I was walking a few yards behind her when a co-worker's dog rounded the corner ahead of her. The dog was a large lab. It didn't do anything threatening, but my employee had a panic attack. I don't think people going about their business in a work, retail, food service, public transit, etc. environment should be subjected to animals whose presence is purely optional. Pet-friendly often means Anti-Human to a significant amount of people.

I've never experienced it either but I was thinking more from the point of view of people who are allergic to pet dander.
I have never heard anyone who flies making an issue of that. If they are not seated right next to the animal it should not be an issue.

Forum List

Back