Unions to attempt to shut down Mississippi River trade

Actually, the unions aren't saying they will shut down barge traffic, but that it will shut down due to the extremely low water levels in the Mississippi River. They are demanding the govt release water from the upper Missouri River to help raise the water levels.

But if that's done, then the Missouri won't have enough water for traffic, and a new problem starts.

Geez, did either of you read the article??

I didn't read the article. I heard on the radio this morning the strike is about barge weight because the shoreman get paid a percentage based on weight. Smaller barges equal less weight. And they don't want last years wages and percentages continued. They want them increased.

The media can twist the facts to make the strike appear proper or just but you should know better.

Mother nature forces the use of smaller barges and unions threaten to strike if wages for smaller barges aren't increased. The companies have no choice but to use smaller barges so imo the demands equate to extortion.

Geez, did either of you read the article??

I didn't read the article. I heard on the radio this morning the strike is about barge weight because the shoreman get paid a percentage based on weight. Smaller barges equal less weight. And they don't want last years wages and percentages continued. They want them increased.

The media can twist the facts to make the strike appear proper or just but you should know better.

No one is calling for a strike. The barge owners are upset about the Army Corps cutting water flow from the upper Missouri due to a federal mandate to protect that area, and Obama won't go to Congress to get that reversed.

The limit on barge weight is due to the low water levels, not any regulations put on them. If they load any heavier, they ground.

I just took a bridge over the Mississippi yesterday. The river is roughly one third as wide as it normally is, and the sand bars have been exposed so long they're covered by grass and weeds. And they had to lower the drinking water intakes so much that our water has a slight green color, and tastes like shit.

And the economy is the victim if this strike goes through. This isn't a couple of weeks with kids out of school or an auto production line shut down.

Anyone else hear the death rattle of the American private union?

Unions Warn Mississippi Shutdown Could Come Next Week

Unions Warn Mississippi Shutdown Could Come Next Week « CBS St. Louis

I never thought it possible, you're even dumber and more dishonest than I thought. Did you read the link you provided?

Better to have titled the thread: Bush policy threatens Commerce on the Mississippi, and have made the case that his refusal to acknowledge Climate Change is the cause of the lack of rain and low waters.

Look, I'll make this as simple as possible.

1 River levels are low

2 as a result smaller barges must be used

3 smaller barges pay less than the large ones

4 as a result the union is threatening to strike if one of two things don't happen:
A.... Higher wages for smaller barges
B.... The COE release more water to allow larger (higher paid) barges can pass the waters despite the cost to communities up river

Those are the facts. No twisting. No lying. Just the facts.

Extortion ← that is my opinion

1 River levels are low

4 as a result the union is threatening to strike if one of two things don't happen:
B.... The COE release more water to allow larger (higher paid) barges can pass the waters despite the cost to communities up river

Link to any article where the unions are threatening to strike.

1 River levels are low

Seems this thread died right after your post. I wonder why............................?

This is such Bullshit !!! You have the dock workers striking and now this?
I say FUCK EM !!!
They could seriously damage an already weak economy with this crap.
This is extortion without a doupt.
Fire every fucken one of them!

1 River levels are low

Seems this thread died right after your post. I wonder why............................?

This is such Bullshit !!! You have the dock workers striking and now this?
I say FUCK EM !!!
They could seriously damage an already weak economy with this crap.
This is extortion without a doupt.
Fire every fucken one of them!

OK, you link to any article where the union is threatening to strike.

Do you want to know why the barges won't be able to move? Here's why.

01dry0725-pg-horizontal.jpg

Those people should NOT be able to walk there.

1 River levels are low

Link to any article where the unions are threatening to strike.

I looked and couldn't find anything related to a strike. I'm convinced there is no labor dispute involved; rather the unions are concerned with keeping water levels high enough to maintain traffic. That is a legitimate concern and has nothing to do with an intentional organized work stoppage. In this case, these people want to KEEP working, but need help to do it.

I think the problems was the title of the article. The badly-worded title strongly suggested it was strike related. It goes to prove that you have to read the entire article to get the full message.

Forum List

Back