Unions Suck!

Mr. P said:
well, now, not all of them are bad. there are some good ones out there, and my husband happens to be in one of them. not that he had much of a choice if he wanted good medical benefits, good working conditions, and a good pension. Plus they offer free courses/training in other fields. So if he gets laid off this winter (which is not likely) he can take the classes he wants and increase his skills.

the airline unions though, are another story...

gop_jeff said:
Delta pilots are some of the best paid in the industry. They're obviously also the stupidest in the industry.

I used to be anti-union, but then I discovered distant family members who were union. It's one thing to deliver the free market lecture, but it's another when you're a working stiff (sometimes with no choice). Yes, unions HAVE been a drag on the market. No unions in Japan. But then, we ain't Japs.

Also, usually the union leadership is more lefty than the members. I've heard one in four union households votes GOP. Union members are often very patriotic, very family values.

William Joyce said:
I used to be anti-union, but then I discovered distant family members who were union. It's one thing to deliver the free market lecture, but it's another when you're a working stiff (sometimes with no choice). Yes, unions HAVE been a drag on the market. No unions in Japan. But then, we ain't Japs.

Also, usually the union leadership is more lefty than the members. I've heard one in four union households votes GOP. Union members are often very patriotic, very family values.

Frankly, I wouldn't care one lick about unions, except that in many states, one cannot take a job without being forced to pay union dues. That pisses me off more than just about anything I can think of (except the Kelo decision last year, and gun control). Pass right-to-work laws, letting unions compete for their clients and letting individuals decide whether they want to join a union, and I'll never complain about unions again.

for blue collar workers unions usually mean better wages and benefits.

Compare Albertsons and Walmart.

Too much union strength leads to a less competitive economy.

Compare USA and France.

There was a time unions were needed and made a difference for workers...Now(IMO), they are nothing more than legal extortion operations. They extort the company to provide employees, and the employees for a job/dues...THEY SUCK!

Forum List

Back