Unions do not care about people, they care about DUES!

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
There are several threads going on right now discussing Unions. The question is if unions are good or bad. How about a little union strong arming directly from union mouths. How about thug mentality written right into union contract.

The popular myth is that unions are about protecting the workers when the real reason unions exist is for profit and money. The more members they have, the more they make in the way of dues.

This is an excerpt from a standard CWA contract, Article 33, page 118. Read it very carefully. You do NOT have to sign up, join the union and be a card carrying member. But if you want to work you better pay the union its dues regardless if you are a "member" or not.

Tell me how do you fail to "voluntarily" acquire anything?

http://files.cwa-union.org/CwaNet/CWAContractAllAgreements.pdf

15 B. For the purposes of this Section, “membership in good standing in the
16 Union” shall consist of payment by the employee of dues (as described
17 herein) for each calendar month not later than the last day of the second
18 following calendar month, as may be levied in accordance with
19 procedures set forth in the Union’s Constitution. Each employee of the
20 Company covered by this Agreement who fails to voluntarily acquire or
21 maintain membership in the Union shall be required, as a condition of
22 employment, beginning sixty (60) days after the effective date of this
23 Agreement or sixty (60) days after the completion of his probationary
24 period, whichever is later, to pay the Union each month a service charge

25 as a contribution for the administration of the Agreement and the
26 representation of such employee. The service charge for the first month
27 shall be in an amount equal to the Union’s regular and usual monthly
28 dues, and for each month thereafter in an amount equal to the regular and
29 usual monthly dues uniformly required as a condition of acquiring or
30 retaining membership.

Now why is that? If you have the free choice to NOT belong to the union as a member why would you have to pay the union its dues? Being a member of a union has no bearing if you are hired by a company or not. But if you want to keep your job you have to pay.

The fact is that if you do not pay the union its dues they can force an employer to terminate your job in accordance with the union contract the employer holds. The other option the unions have to acquire its dues is to sue the non member for the dues they believe the non member owes them.

To me unions are nothing but Racketeering, Blackmail and Extortion.

Last edited:
It is always easy to argue that some type of profession (personal injury lawyers) or organization (unions) does what they do only for the money involved. Of course, it is equally easy to argue that the personal injury lawyer, the union, or whatever, does what they do for the good of their clients, out of a sense of professional responsibility, and the money they earn doing it is only secondary.

It would be impossible for them to function without realizing some profit. That does not necessarily mean they are evil. Look more to what they do, than to how much they earn doing it.

Obviously you know nothing about Unions or you are a minimum wage worker jealous of good union negotiated wages and benefits. Which is it?

They hate unions because they are told to hate them.

They are demiocratic institutions that they hate.

They also are trying to claim that the US is not a democratic institution.

Its propaganda that is bought by these fools to get them to vote against their own self interests.

Some people are just so stupid they buy the propaganda.

I think that unions have become their own self-perpetuating bureaucracy whose main goal is self-preservation. The people who work for unions do so for a paycheck, and the union leaders enjoy their lucrative salaries.

They have refined their tactics of maintaining control over their constituents through various means. Sometimes they are a necessary evil to counter unscrupulous employers unfortunately.

Unions do not care about people, they care about DUES!
Truth.

My brother was a UFCW stocker on overnights and did his job well.

He asked management, for over a year, to be taken off overnights and put on a day shift, even if it meant moving to another store.

Management wouldn't let him off of overnights and the union did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on his behalf of his filed grievance.

Useless union goon bosses are only in it for themselves.

• Banned
It is always easy to argue that some type of profession (personal injury lawyers) or organization (unions) does what they do only for the money involved. Of course, it is equally easy to argue that the personal injury lawyer, the union, or whatever, does what they do for the good of their clients, out of a sense of professional responsibility, and the money they earn doing it is only secondary.

It would be impossible for them to function without realizing some profit. That does not necessarily mean they are evil. Look more to what they do, than to how much they earn doing it.

How about we stick with the words, Blackmail and Extortion. Personal injury lawyers do not participate in any of this.

Is not forcing someone against their will to pay dues to keep their job not blackmail and extortion? Is writing a contract that includes and covers the issue of blackmail and extortion, a standard contract that the CWA uses in many areas not racketeering?

Remember that unions can and do use thugs to "persuade" people to join.

• Banned
Obviously you know nothing about Unions or you are a minimum wage worker jealous of good union negotiated wages and benefits. Which is it?

Obviously I know more about the unions than you think. What don't like that I posted a union contract to prove what they are?

Unions care only about their own power? SHocking I tell you.

Unions ought to be abolished. Especially the public sector ones. And just for entertainment here's Gov Christie pwning a union troll:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuri7p_9pm4]YouTube - Chris Christie vs. Teachers Unions[/ame]

It's nothing more than class envy.

Non-union workers who make squat and are treated like shit by their employers are envious of their unionized and well compensated colleagues.

Non-union workers who make squat and are treated like shit by their employers are envious of their unionized and well compensated colleagues.

You mean like the auto worker union members, now unemployed? Or the steel worker union member? Or the rail road union worker?
There is not an industry where unions have dominated that has not been decimated by high labor costs.

You mean like the auto worker union members, now unemployed? Or the steel worker union member? Or the rail road union worker?
There is not an industry where unions have dominated that has not been decimated by high labor costs.

Yep, the way to prosperity is through lower wages. :cuckoo:

Hmm, China has lower wages than we do and we owe them a bunch of money. All the Asian countries except Japan have lower wage rates and all of them are in better financial shape than we are.
So the crazy one is you:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Hmm, China has lower wages than we do and we owe them a bunch of money. All the Asian countries except Japan have lower wage rates and all of them are in better financial shape than we are.
So the crazy one is you:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Hmmmmm, China sends US stuff (granted most of it is junk, even at walmart prices) and we send them worthless pieces of paper (which will be evident as soon as they attempt to spend, rather than merely high-fiving themselves about that 'positive' trade balance). As a bonus to all that cheapshit at walmart the American consumer gets to pay more in taxes to support unemployed Americans who could have provided us with better goods at prices lower than the combination of walmart PLUS the social costs.

Now that is truly:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo: economics for ALL of us except for a handful of Chink & USA billionaires and the traitor politicians they buy with their ill-gotten gains.

Last edited:

Thank you Mr. Clean. I could not have put it better myself and still maintained my reputation as a gentleman.

Thank you Mr. Clean. I could not have put it better myself and still maintained my reputation as a gentleman.

Aren't you the same Jew-hating asshole who had the Arafat avatar. Same screen name (minus the period), same location. Hmm?

So your solution is for the U.S. to default on its obligations? Yeah, that'll make us a superpower.:cuckoo:

piss on being a 'superpower' (aka golem for Israel) my interest is the well-being and self-interest of the American People which at the end of the day will require stiffing the Chinese. Fuck-em, TWO can play their wittle game of manipulating currencies.

Forum List

Back