Unionized GM plant adds third shift

What is amazing is that so many posts seem to be happy, almost giddy, about any negative thing that they can say about the american auto industry. Why these toads would be happy to see the industry go out of business is easy to understand. But it strikes me as fully unamerican. Love to spend hundreds of billions on wars, but hate to save the largest us industry. SAD.

What is amazing is that so many posts seem to be happy, almost giddy, about any negative thing that they can say about the american auto industry. Why these toads would be happy to see the industry go out of business is easy to understand. But it strikes me as fully unamerican. Love to spend hundreds of billions on wars, but hate to save the largest us industry. SAD.

The American auto industry is in the shape it is in because of complacency, incompetence, over confidence and a general "don't give a flying f*ck about it's customers" attitude.
I don't know how old you are, but if you were around to see how incredibly cheap and shoddy American cars were built from the mid 70's - mid 80's - you would know exactly why the foreign makers were kicking ass and taking numbers.
Cars were literally rusting out before they were paid for. In the meantime the unions had created an over-compensated and spoiled employment force rife with habitual tardiness, high absenteeism and "wet lunches".

In other words - you treat your customers like sh*t, have a workforce whose compensation is well above what the market will bear...bankruptcy is in your future.

I still don't understand why it was our job to bail them out. It honestly makes no sense, so why can't everyone get a bail out, or can it only be companies that politicians like?

Give me a billion dollars and I can make some serious cash on that in a single year... But how is that fair to everyone else that would have to compete with me?

It also is quite amazing to watch people who demand the rich pay higher taxes and claim the Republicans love the rich support policy after policy that literally hands money to the rich.

Because it helped save American jobs.

The people of Michigan and Ohio get it.

The word American only has value to some of these people when they are wrapping themselves in the flag for personal political gain. They do not hold American jobs higher than jobs anywhere else in the world. In fact the only jobs they hold up are jobs that pay less for the same work. They are not believers in America. America to them is just another place to make money. The best country to them is where a corporation can make the most profit for the stockholders and the management. These people are not in that class of course. But they ALL believe that some day they will be. They are several universes past delusional.

man a load of BS
...Us taxpayers who don't work for Gm got jack shit out of the deal..And it's not our DUTY to save JOBS for the people of ONE friggen Company...
You don't want to make money, MOVE

Last edited:
I thought the unions were evil and greedy that cause businesses to shut down? :lmao:

union_yes.jpg

we estimate that unions drove 30 million jobs offshore and all but destroyed our manufacturing capacity. The solution is to make them illegal again.

Why should they get to use violence to get higher wages and not everybody

Why should everybody pay higher prices for unions made goods when we cant use violence to get higher wages ourselves to help pay for the high priced union stuff?

Union violence is really just stealing from the rest of us with higher prices.

The American auto industry is in the shape it is in because of complacency, incompetence, over confidence and a general "don't give a flying f*ck about it's customers" attitude.
I don't know how old you are, but if you were around to see how incredibly cheap and shoddy American cars were built from the mid 70's - mid 80's - you would know exactly why the foreign makers were kicking ass and taking numbers.
Cars were literally rusting out before they were paid for. In the meantime the unions had created an over-compensated and spoiled employment force rife with habitual tardiness, high absenteeism and "wet lunches".

In other words - you treat your customers like sh*t, have a workforce whose compensation is well above what the market will bear...bankruptcy is in your future.
I am indeed old enough. And yes, during the 60's through the 80's, they did screw the pooch.
So, what is your point, exactly? That they made really bad cars so we should stand by and let them go down the tube. Give the auto industry to the other nations. Allow a million or so jobs to go away.

Seems a whole lot like shooting yourself in the foot because you don't like your shoes.

By the way, there are other examples of car companies out there that are union. The us auto unions would love to have the contracts provided to Toyota and other foreign auto makers now producing in this country.

800 jobs isn't such an impressive figure, given the huge layoffs over the last few years. Perhaps GM's brands also have a problem - Opel struggles to compete with fellow German names like BMW and Audi in terms of 'coolness' and driving experience...they have a loyal fanbase and those cars are considered fun to drive. Even throughout the financial crisis, statistics show that German car companies like Audi are still doing extremely well.

Last edited:
GM is sucking hind tit in sales gains.

Toyota Motor reported a 60 percent sales gain over a year ago.

Chrysler Group did even better than its two Detroit-based rivals, with June sales up 20 percent over the same month a year ago.

General Motors, is only up 16 percent over a year ago.

It's just sad that GM still can't compete.

Chrysler Group did even better than its two Detroit-based rivals, with June sales up 20 percent over the same month a year ago.

KissMy, and you other right wing clowns,
GM was number two in the world in sales in 2011, and closing on Toyota. In 2012, GM is number 1 in sales in the US in terms of units sold, well ahead of Toyota, and Ford is number two.

So, GM has gone from bankruptcy to the top one or two auto makers in the world. What is that you said about can't compete???? GM is BACK and you righties just can't stand it. It's a true US success story, and you are still hoping for failure of the US auto industry. In most peoples book, that is unamerican.

GM was number two in the world in sales in 2011, and closing on Toyota. In 2012, GM is number 1 in sales in the US in terms of units sold, well ahead of Toyota, and Ford is number two.

So, GM has gone from bankruptcy to the top one or two auto makers in the world. What is that you said about can't compete???? GM is BACK and you righties just can't stand it. It's a true US success story, and you are still hoping for failure of the US auto industry. In most peoples book, that is unamerican.

GM was Number 2 in 2008, and actually closed the gap on Toyota during the year it went bankrupt by virtue of only losing a quarter of its sales to Toyota's 28% while falling to Number 3 overall. However, since that time it has improved to just over 9 million global sales in 2011. This in theory puts it at Number 1.

Marque........2008.........2009........%+/-........2011........%+/- vs '09
Toyota.........8.97..........6.45.........-28...........7.91.............22.6
VW..............6.23..........6.29.........+1...........8.15.............29.6
GM..............8.35..........6.20.........-25...........9.03.............45.6

However, this should be seen in light of Toyota's constrained capacity due to the earthquake in Japan, and also includes sales of the Wulung brand in China. As GM is a minority shareholder in Wulung, these figures should not really be included.

Without Wulung, GM sales volume in 2011 sits at 7.8m, in 4th place behind VW, Toyota and Nissan/Renault (8.03m)

N.B. Data taken from multiple sources.

Last edited:
Obama saved GM.

Romney said, "Let Detroit go bankrupt."

Filing bankruptcy is not necessarily the death of a business.

Thousands of companies have filed for bankruptcy protection and are still operating today.

I suppose the fucking government should have bailed them out too

Obama saved GM.

Thousands of companies have filed for bankruptcy protection and are still operating today.

Good bumper sticker statement, Skul. But, if you actually research the situation that GM got itself into, you would learn that there were no suitors for GM. No way that GM, or Chrysler, were going to get out of their financial mess as whole companys. What would have happened was, almost certainly, the end of the us auto industry. Even ford felt that they would not have survived.
So, your statements about other bankruptcies are completely vacuous. Other companies were often not salvageable, often were able to find a buyer or major investor, and so on. And other companies did not provide the potential for economic disaster that GM going bankrupt did pose.
Research it a little. The facts are very clear, assuming that you actually want to know what went on.

Obama saved GM.

Good bumper sticker statement, Skul. But, if you actually research the situation that GM got itself into, you would learn that there were no suitors for GM. No way that GM, or Chrysler, were going to get out of their financial mess as whole companys. What would have happened was, almost certainly, the end of the us auto industry. Even ford felt that they would not have survived.
So, your statements about other bankruptcies are completely vacuous. Other companies were often not salvageable, often were able to find a buyer or major investor, and so on. And other companies did not provide the potential for economic disaster that GM going bankrupt did pose.
Research it a little. The facts are very clear, assuming that you actually want to know what went on.

So what if they didn't come out of bankruptcy as whole companies as you say?

And I highly doubt if GM was restructured or broken up that it would have been the end of the auto industry.

GM gas not paid taxes for 5 years & their stock price is tanking. The US government owns 500 million shares of GM stock. Even with all this government help Toyota just smoked their ass!!!

GM gas not paid taxes for 5 years & their stock price is tanking. The US government owns 500 million shares of GM stock. Even with all this government help Toyota just smoked their ass!!!
Stock price has been steady since last september. Within 50 cents per share. So not sure where you get the idea that it is tanking.

GM is recovering, not recovered. Profits are now a reality.

Toyota is a great company. Why you insist on comparing gm with toyota is beyond me. What is being said,k by me and most of the known world, is that the gm auto bailout is a success at this point, from a us standpoint. That tea party folks want gm to fail is a truth also. I prefer to have an auto industry. And, in my humble but correct opinion, that you do not want them to succeed is unamerican, and economically ignorant.

533315_391199010914792_1621220231_n.jpg

Abstract
In this poster, I try to depict the decline of American labor, trades, professions, civil service employees, and society. This story of the degradation of the American workforce begins in the early 1980s when factory union labor wages and benefits were first falsely condemned for making it harder for their corporations to compete in the global market. Through the next three decades, the American worker, taxpayer, and consumer would foot the bill and the blame for the results of decisions made by our national representatives and the captains of industry and finance. While the “smartest people in the room” were busy blaming us, the media busied itself making sure we blamed each other. The result is that we find ourselves bickering with each other over crumbs from our own pantry instead of demanding our rightful place at the table.
Every time a screw needs to turn in penance for a quarter of a percent tax increase, there is a media blitz, political punditry, and a whisper campaign that makes the surrender of reasonable pay increases and contracted benefits by one or another segment of the working population seem like the least we, or they could do, considering how miserable everyone else is.
Currently it is the “wealthy” civil servants who are supposedly living lives that include pay and benefits far above what those in the private sector scrape by on. They are the latest in a long line of “Welfare Queens,”[1] but what little union manufacturing is left in the US is often revisited for blame as well.

[1] Cohn, Jonathan, The New Republic, “Why Public Employees Are the New Welfare Queens,” August 8, 2010, retrieved January 23, 2012 from
Why Public Employees Are The New Welfare Queens | The New Republic

Stock price has been steady since last september. Within 50 cents per share. So not sure where you get the idea that it is tanking.

GM is recovering, not recovered. Profits are now a reality.

Toyota is a great company. Why you insist on comparing gm with toyota is beyond me. What is being said,k by me and most of the known world, is that the gm auto bailout is a success at this point, from a us standpoint. That tea party folks want gm to fail is a truth also. I prefer to have an auto industry. And, in my humble but correct opinion, that you do not want them to succeed is unamerican, and economically ignorant.

GM shares have dropped 42% & we own 500 million of those shares.

China has imposed a tariff on US autos due to unfair government subsidies of GM & Chrysler autos. Obama says he is filing a complaint against China for the tariff. Talk about election campaign theatrics.

The Toyota Camry is the "Most American Car" according to Cars.com Study

Cars.com announced today that the Toyota Camry once again took the top spot in the site's annual American Made Index. This is the third consecutive year the Camry has held this position, despite many newcomers to the list including the Ford Explorer, the Chevrolet Traverse and the GMC Acadia. The Camry, which is assembled in Georgetown, Ky. and Lafayette, Ind., is followed by the Honda Accord and the Chevy Malibu, which rank No. 2 and No. 3 respectively.

Cars.com's annual American-Made Index ranks the most-American vehicles based on percentage of their parts that are made domestically, where they are assembled and how many are sold to U.S. buyers.

Forum List

Back