Union solidarity

Yukon

Rookie
Feb 7, 2009
Fight the bosses and the banks who sent our jobs to China. JOIN the UNION NOW !!!

So does it pay to be a union member? Clearly it does. Union members enjoy better wages, better benefits and increased job security. But the biggest benefit is the strength that comes from solidarity. Unlike non-union workers, unionized workers are not alone when they have grievances; they're not alone when they file claims; and they're not alone when they raise health and safety concerns.

This is the most basic lesson of the labour movement - workers are stronger when they face management shoulder to shoulder than when they stand alone. Almost all workers have the right to form and belong to unions, and labour laws protect your right to join a union and to participate in union activities.

Fight the bosses and the banks who sent our jobs to China. JOIN the UNION NOW !!!

Union representation also means that you are more likely to have a dental and health care plan at your workplace, coverage for sickness or accidents, and a pension plan to which your employer contributes.

For example, 83% of unionized employees are covered by a pension plan compared to just 33% of non-union workers. Unionized workers generally have better paid vacation leave than non-union employees (84% compared to 65%).

The same gap exists for health care benefits such as dental plan coverage (77% to 45%) and supplemental health care plans (84% for unionized compared to 45% for non-union).

Last edited:
lol.

Didn't seem to help the GM plants and a Ford plant here in southern Ohio.

No, not when you have a government that works against you for 8 years. Reagan started breaking the unions and GW Bush almost finished them off completely.

Thank God now we have a pro labor president:

Unions back bill trying to stop Mexican trucks in U.S. | Top stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

So why did the GOP allow Mexican truckers to come into the US? This is PROOF the GOP is anti labor. And no one can say, "all politicians are the same", because they are not.

DALLAS — Union officials were confident Tuesday that new legislation in Congress would halt Mexican trucks from making long-haul trips into the United States.

A $410 billion spending bill House Democrats presented on Monday includes language that would prevent Mexican-licensed trucks from traveling beyond commercial zones along the U.S.-Mexico border. The wording is aimed at ending a pilot program backed by the George W. Bush administration that permitted up to 500 U.S.-certified trucks access deep into the U.S.

“This is a really big win for us,” said Leslie Miller, an International Brotherhood of Teamsters spokeswoman. “Historically, there has been very, very strong support” for ending the Mexican truck program.

The legislation was expected to clear the House this week, and the Senate could take it up next week.

Lawmakers — including then-Sen. Barack Obama — previously attempted to stop the program by prohibiting spending to establish it. But the Bush administration contended the funding ban didn’t apply to implementation of a program that had already started.

The Teamsters Union, Sierra Club and Public Citizen filed a lawsuit in 2007 seeking to block the program.

The Bush administration said open U.S. roads to Mexican truckers was a necessary part of the North American Free Trade Agreement. Supporters of the plan said letting Mexican trucks farther into the U.S. would save consumers hundreds of millions of dollars and give U.S. trucking companies access to Mexico.

In Human Action, Ludwig von Mises wrote that labor unions have always been the primary source of anticapitalistic propaganda. I was reminded of this recently when I saw a bumper sticker proclaiming one of the bedrock tenets of unionism: "The Union Movement: The People Who Brought You the Weekend."

Well, not exactly. In the US, the average work week was 61 hours in 1870, compared to 34 hours today, and this near doubling of leisure time for American workers was caused by capitalism, not unionism.

The Free Market: The Union Myth

One must first find a job where unions exist to join one, no?

I think in my long career as a working stiff I've only been in a position to join a union once.

I tried to form a union at one private school I taught at, but suddenly, and rather inexplicably, my bosses discovered that I sucked as a teacher.

One must first find a job where unions exist to join one, no?

I think in my long career as a working stiff I've only been in a position to join a union once.

I tried to form a union at one private school I taught at, but suddenly, and rather inexplicably, my bosses discovered that I sucked as a teacher.

Maybe you did.

• Banned
The Union will rise again. Long Live Walter Reuther.

• Banned
Paulie,

At least he tried to form a Union, he's got "guts" unlike people like you who cow-toe to the bosses day in and day out.

Paulie,

At least he tried to form a Union, he's got "guts" unlike people like you who cow-toe to the bosses day in and day out.

"people like me"?

I'm sorry, have we met?

If you don't know what it means to "cow toe" than you probably do it all the time. You're and your kind are so pathetic, so sad, so pitiful.....

If you don't know what it means to "cow toe" than you probably do it all the time. You're and your kind are so pathetic, so sad, so pitiful.....

Well i think you meant

KOWTOW

1. to act in an obsequious manner; show servile deference.
2. to touch the forehead to the ground while kneeling, as an act of worship, reverence, apology, etc., esp. in former Chinese custom.

idiot.

Skull,

Very good. You have defined the average rigt-wing Conservative

KOWTOE (GOP Conservative supporter)

2. to touch the forehead to the ground while kneeling, as an act of worship, reverence, apology, etc., esp. in former Chinese custom.

Skull,

damn, you're stupid. :razz:

Skull,

damn, you're stupid. :razz:

Don't be so easy on him.

Forum List

Back