Union Payback

25,000 businesses put at risk with a stroke of Obama's pen

I wonder how 84% of construction workers are going to feel when they realize that Obama has locked them out of bidding for federal contracts?

They're going to reconsider not being members of their trade unions, I suppose.

Am I supposed to care about the scabs who expect unions to keep up every person in a trade's rate of pay, when they'll undermine that rate by working for slightly less?

I don't.

Unions aren't exactly blameless when it comes to jobs being sent overseas

Last edited:
We are in the service industry and the unions want to target this industry and they want the open ballot to help do it. I relish the day someone from the a union walks through my doors to speak to the employee's.

They will leave feet first and our payroll will be reduced by 70% and it won't effect my income one bit.

Plants close and move when the taxpayer money gets better in other areas in many instances. Or in some instances are moved to other countries when the taxpayers no longer are willing to put out millions in order to encourage them to stay put.

States and cities vieing for these companies many times have put up tax payer money to entice these companies on the promise of the jobs they will bring into the area. (Here one of those "funds" is called the Iowa Value Funds"$54.9M 2003" *the 5,300 jobs promised in 2003 never actually got placed. It can now be blamed on the mortgae crisis. those great Business Round Table speeches probably will not mention who actually created the crisis*, Not sure about you all but I wonder who came up with that added catchy phrase "funds" in there)

Arkansas got a lot biggies moving in, yet of course they moved on when the tax payer dollars are gone. Heck some of them never actually get fully moved in. Nor did they provide all those jobs that were promised. Sorry guys that support the banks and investment. These companies are non union.

A question I have is, Why do we have this giant debt supposedly with China? That surely is not created by the Unions.

Here in Iowa the ones I have noticed moving are Maytag, Furnas a division of Siemens move out, (non union workers) and Wells Fargo move in with multiple million dollar perk packages (value funds supported w/taxpayer dollars). Yipee, Wells moves in it's national home mortgage center to Des Moines (hmm, Kovacevich was touting San Francisco as it's home as CA try to protect it citizens against the growing mortgage fraud industry. "Good news the recall election is over". Not sure if you all are aware of California's last Dem. governor Gray Davis that was working fairly hard and taking a big bite out of the corruption there.).

Maytag was purchased by whirlpool. They closed plants in Ill. too. Does anyone make washers in the US anymore? Take a look at who owns large chunks of stock in these companies and who runs them.

Article worth paying attention too!

You can check the recent World Bank/Saytam computer hacking scandels too if this is of any interest to you.
Deutsche Bank, which owns 3.9 million Siemens shares.....

/sarcasm
Now let us all jump on the banwagon and blame the job losses on Union Labor cost.

Really? Having worked with non-union 'construction workers', I find it reassuring that we are locking unqualified people out of the work on vital projects. All too many of these non-union 'construction workers' are undocumented aliens. Where I work, we do not allow non-union contractors to work on our vital machinery. Even though we are non-union ourselves.

What we do need to do, and, yes, it will increase costs, it to have more apprentices being trained on these jobs. That was one of the many benefits of the old WPA and CCC. But we will have a better trained workforce as the economy comes back on line, and that will speed the recovery.

Exactly how does paying union dues make someone more qualified than the next guy? Do you have to pass a test to be a union member? Unqualified minds would like to know.

To carry a Journey Level Millwright card in the union that we hire contractors out of, you have to complete an apprenticeship, or demonstrate competance over several years of work.

We are in the service industry and the unions want to target this industry and they want the open ballot to help do it. I relish the day someone from the a union walks through my doors to speak to the employee's.

They will leave feet first and our payroll will be reduced by 70% and it won't effect my income one bit.

God, I love it. I once worked for a fellow like you. He stated the same thing, and when his workers, including myself, decided that we were going to have a union, the man elected to be our representative was beat up. As was the representative from a rather mild union. The next Union man old man Erickson saw walked into his office unannounced, stated, "Stay seated, you dumb bastard, I from the Teamsters, and this is our plant now". It was a display of raw power that this union no longer has, but, damn, it was good. The secretary told us all of the whole conversation.

You want union wars like the '30s? You will get them, buster.

Unions are exactly blameless when it comes to jobs being sent overseas

Absolute BULLSHIT!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/1017132-post75.html

-

The Union demands priced Detroit right out of the competition..

Oh sure. And the incompetance of people that got tens of millions in salary, plus huge bonuses, had nothing at all to do with it. If the boss is stealing the company blind, do you blame the guy that is actually doing the work for taking what he can?

Really? Having worked with non-union 'construction workers', I find it reassuring that we are locking unqualified people out of the work on vital projects. All too many of these non-union 'construction workers' are undocumented aliens. Where I work, we do not allow non-union contractors to work on our vital machinery. Even though we are non-union ourselves.

What we do need to do, and, yes, it will increase costs, it to have more apprentices being trained on these jobs. That was one of the many benefits of the old WPA and CCC. But we will have a better trained workforce as the economy comes back on line, and that will speed the recovery.

Exactly how does paying union dues make someone more qualified than the next guy? Do you have to pass a test to be a union member? Unqualified minds would like to know.

To carry a Journey Level Millwright card in the union that we hire contractors out of, you have to complete an apprenticeship, or demonstrate competance over several years of work.
Dad, his dad and my brother are all Union Pipefitters.

Can anyone join there union? Yes if they have a sponser.

Do these people have to prove they are capable to do the job? Yes, they must be certified welders.

What happens if they can't do the work? They do not get called out or sent out on jobs.

That is a fairly basic routine on trades work people. From Boilermakers to Welders they have to prove up before a Union will send them out on a job or they have to learn the job with an accomplished expert in that field.

Oh sure. And the incompetance of people that got tens of millions in salary, plus huge bonuses, had nothing at all to do with it. If the boss is stealing the company blind, do you blame the guy that is actually doing the work for taking what he can?

tell me how it's any different in the Unions? The working guy dosen't get rich now does he? No, fuck no,, but the Union bosses do.. when tere is a strike the working man dosen't get paid now does he? no fuck no, but the Union bosses do. he gets rich off the backs of the working man. DUmmie

we used to be in a union, got the hell out, best decision we ever made. Never any work, when there was work someone was on strike, unions did not allow you to find works elswhere, you had to sit and starve and pay fucking union dues til you name came up on the roster. fuck that shit.

tell me how it's any different in the Unions? The working guy dosen't get rich now does he? No, fuck no,, but the Union bosses do.. when tere is a strike the working man dosen't get paid now does he? no fuck no, but the Union bosses do. he gets rich off the backs of the working man. DUmmie
Please give details Willow. I grew up around union people. They never got rich being the bosses or union stewards. They saved they worked hard and they helped one another. Some made some very good investments while rich assholes were raping markets (Dad told a friend silver would sky rocket, the guy invested 20 grand, came out of it with a heck of a lot more. For dad it was a hunch. His friend, the guy credited dad with making him a millionare.)

When there is a strike workers get paid a subsistence.

Union stewards/bosses are voted into their positions. It is just like any other democratic process.

Unions have pension plans for their employees and medical insurance packages.

You are blaming all unions for what has happened in Detroit to the car makers.

Put it together and prove up why it is that all unions are bad news if you are going to try to lump them together.

Please give details Willow. I grew up around union people. They never got rich being the bosses or union stewards. They saved they worked hard and they helped one another. Some made some very good investments while rich assholes were raping markets (Dad told a friend silver would sky rocket, the guy invested 20 grand, came out of it with a heck of a lot more. For dad it was a hunch. His friend, the guy credited dad with making him a millionare.)

Union stewards/bosses are voted into their positions. It is just like any other democratic process.

Unions have pension plans for their employees and medical insurance packages. We never had them

Put it together and prove up why it is that all unions are bad news if you are going to try to lump them together.

my experience is as has been described. It happened to my husband and to my sister's husband, Different states, different union shops..

Unions have pension plans for their employees and medical insurance packages. We never had them

my experience is as has been described. It happened to my husband and to my sister's husband, Different states, different union shops..

You are speaking of a union shop it appears. There is a difference between the Union Trades and merely Union Shops.

I think a lot of Union Trades have gotten a bad rep for a some bad practices by other Unions. I can't lump them all together.

One I am a skilled operator. I do not belong to a Union. When I called the operators union here for qualified help at my mine they would not return my calls. My son is a specialty contractor. He works on a lot of Trade Union jobs. Just because a few assholes in some of the unions cause him problems and interfer with his job does not mean he would call all the unions bad.

Willow I have been discriminated against my fair share out there over the years but that does not mean I call the bad with the good all one flavor. For the average worker unions have been the only thing that stood in the balance on the side of the worker in order to keep the average worker from being nothing more than slaves that belong to the boss's store. I personally do not belong to a union nor have I ever. I will stand with them though in order to protect the average little guy.

Hopefully one day everyone will be treated with equality but until that day we need a bit of organized labor to get the job done.

You are speaking of a union shop it appears. There is a difference between the Union Trades and merely Union Shops.

I think a lot of Union Trades have gotten a bad rep for a some bad practices by other Unions. I can't lump them all together.

One I am a skilled operator. I do not belong to a Union. When I called the operators union here for qualified help at my mine they would not return my calls. My son is a specialty contractor. He works on a lot of Trade Union jobs. Just because a few assholes in some of the unions cause him problems and interfer with his job does not mean he would call all the unions bad.

Willow I have been discriminated against my fair share out there over the years but that does not mean I call the bad with the good all one flavor. For the average worker unions have been the only thing that stood in the balance on the side of the worker in order to keep the average worker from being nothing more than slaves that belong to the boss's store. I personally do not belong to a union nor have I ever. I will stand with them though in order to protect the average little guy.

Hopefully one day everyone will be treated with equality but until that day we need a bit of organized labor to get the job done.

you were smart.. when we left they tried all sorts of intimidation tactics.. besides fineng us ten thousand dollars :lol: and being called names,, there were a couple of aggressive displays with shotguns. You will never catch me uttering a good word about them..

Naw not smart, I'm just a female. Dad did not think they would treat me very well back in the days I was trying to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up.

I smell a pay raise coming for actual American workers.

I would like to see the minimum wage raised to a reasonable level. Back in 68 when my brother worked for minimum wage, he was able to afford his own apartment, make payments on a new car AND take night classes. All without the help of the taxpayers. Today people on minimum wage can't even afford an apartment.

I smell a pay raise coming for actual American workers.

I would like to see the minimum wage raised to a reasonable level. Back in 68 when my brother worked for minimum wage, he was able to afford his own apartment, make payments on a new car AND take night classes. All without the help of the taxpayers. Today people on minimum wage can't even afford an apartment.
I am right in there with you Sheila. There is no reasonable explaination to anyone that works to not be able to make enough to pay their own way.

People need to wake up and see who's been stripping the wealth and redistributing it into their own little grimy pockets while telling the poor man what a favor he was doing for him/her.

Last I checked Unions are not mandatory. They are mostly corrupt and heavily infiltrated by the mob.

So, show all of us here that unions "are mostly corrupt and heavily infiltrated by the mob."

Well, I don't see RetiredGySgt showing "all of us here that unions "are mostly corrupt and heavily infiltrated by the mob."" You don't suppose he was just blowing some more smoke?

Last I checked Unions are not mandatory. They are mostly corrupt and heavily infiltrated by the mob.

So, show all of us here that unions "are mostly corrupt and heavily infiltrated by the mob."

Well, I don't see RetiredGySgt showing "all of us here that unions "are mostly corrupt and heavily infiltrated by the mob."" You don't suppose he was just blowing some more smoke?

Do a google on corruption and Unions. Do a google on Mafia and Unions. You will easily find enough to keep you busy for quite some time.

Not to mention Federal racketeering cases against Unions and the Mob.

Then we have those gems where it is illegal to have a non union shop but legal to have a Union shop. Or the latest scam where the Unions are trying to force non secret voting on Unions so they can intimidate the workers into voting for the union.

I stand by what I said.

Forum List

Back