Unintended pregnancy in Nigerian women up 6 percent since sex ed introduced

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Okay, the other thread was closed because there was no link, but here's something interesting that I'm moving here and has nothing to do with the other:

Here's another interesting bit...apparently unintended pregnancies have increased in Nigeria since our wonderful "sex for all, here are some crappy condoms" pioneers started teaching them pre-marital sex was common, good, and consequences avoidable:

"Between 1990 and 2003, Nigeria made large improvements in young women's educational attainment, but the country experienced only modest declines in early marriage and adolescent childbearing, while the unintended birthrate rose (from 10% to 16%), according to new analysis from the New York-based Guttmacher Institute and the Women's Health and Action Research Centre in Benin City, Nigeria."

Unintended Births on the Rise Among Young Women in Nigeria

Crap, we need to teach them more about having sex! Maybe we can get those rates to go up another 10 percent in the next 13 years. Wouldn't that be GREAT?

• Banned
The reason I wanted to start the thread is because KK responded (and I wasn't sure about the rules of just moving her statement over here with mine) that she thought it was because the education wasn't up to par and the women don't have access to or the birth control products aren't up to par. But that's not what the link says. The link says they had great success with the education (and this is from the Guttmacher Inst. site) and contraceptive availability in that area. They are, of course, stunned that it just isn't working the way they expected it to, and are full of theories as to why that might be so.

I wanted to address that...it doesn't matter. The fact is, they are being told that there are ways to have safe, non-consequential sex outside of marriage and as a result they've had a huge (6 percent in 13 years is a pretty huge leap) increase in unplanned pregnancies. No measurable decrease in very young marriages..which was one of the goals. To tell the girls they can have sex without getting married, thus reducing the incidence of very young girls being married off.

Meanwhile, the schools in SC that are teaching abstinence have had a dramatic drop in unplanned pregnancies among school aged girls (I also linked that information in the other thread).....so it is pertinent to us. It doesn't matter where you are. You teach women that sex can be enjoyed without worrying about the consequences, you are setting them up for failure and increasing the very problem you are trying to solve. Sex HAS CONSEQUENCES. There is no way around it. And if you keep telling women that sex is wonderful outside of marriage, that any and all consequences can be easily dealt with, they won't get pregnant, or if they do they can abort...you are removing what little control they do have over their reproduction. Because regardless of how great an education you have, regardless of how much birth control is available, the more you (or any population) have sex the more likely you are to get knocked up, regardless of the availability of contraception and abortion. You are LYING to women when you tell them they can "safely" have extramarital sex and be sure they won't get pregnant.

And I don't even want to think about the horrors of getting an abortion in Nigeria. I know a woman who gave birth in Yemen, in a hospital, which is relatively civilized....and she and the baby nearly died and she couldn't have any more children. The idea of providing abortions to women who live in huts with dirt floors, no running water, no medical care for miles, no transportation..and sending them home gives me the horrors.

Last edited:
As I said in a response to this somewhere else. Nigeria has poor quality products and the education they receive is likely to be censored heavily. Someplace like the US the effect is different, and has proven such. But again ... diseased genitalia ... show them that and most will avoid sex for a very long time. ;)

Okay, the other thread was closed because there was no link, but here's something interesting that I'm moving here and has nothing to do with the other:

Here's another interesting bit...apparently unintended pregnancies have increased in Nigeria since our wonderful "sex for all, here are some crappy condoms" pioneers started teaching them pre-marital sex was common, good, and consequences avoidable:

"Between 1990 and 2003, Nigeria made large improvements in young women's educational attainment, but the country experienced only modest declines in early marriage and adolescent childbearing, while the unintended birthrate rose (from 10% to 16%), according to new analysis from the New York-based Guttmacher Institute and the Women's Health and Action Research Centre in Benin City, Nigeria."

Crap, we need to teach them more about having sex! Maybe we can get those rates to go up another 10 percent in the next 13 years. Wouldn't that be GREAT?

Funny how you'd like to see birth rates go up by limiting access to abortion in a country where the majority of citizens are white, the US. And then you go and rail against the rising birthrate in a country where the majority of citizens are black. What's up with that, Alli?

Funny how you'd like to see birth rates go up by limiting access to abortion in a country where the majority of citizens are white, the US. And then you go and rail against the rising birthrate in a country where the majority of citizens are black. What's up with that, Alli?

Off topic, almost completely. She is posting evidence against sex ed, which though I disagree with her stance and have posted why I don't see this as a good example, no one mentioned "race" until you.

Off topic, almost completely. She is posting evidence against sex ed, which though I disagree with her stance and have posted why I don't see this as a good example, no one mentioned "race" until you.

No one mentioned abortion in the other thread about the Dearborn school principal til baba did either. You've been a mod for how long and you're just noticing now that threads sometimes go off topic? :lol:

No one mentioned abortion in the other thread about the Dearborn school principal til baba did either. You've been a mod for how long and you're just noticing now that threads sometimes go off topic? :lol:

One their own because of the direction of discussion, yes, but forcing it into that specific direction just to rile feathers isn't productive at all.

One their own because of the direction of discussion, yes, but forcing it into that specific direction just to rile feathers isn't productive at all.
It's not to rile feathers, I want to know just how racist Baba is.

I don't want to get into a debate on abtienece ed, abortion, or masturbation as an alternative. But I will go on the record saying that not enough focus is put on the importance of marriage. Out of wedlock births is the number one cause of poverty in the US. And I'm pretty certain that most single women. in Nigeria cannot afford to raise children alone. I would like to see sex education include the economic reality of single motherhood and the MORAL responsibility of men to share the burden of parenting. I've known too many pregnant teens who choose motherhood and are completely clueless about what happens when that baby isn't always cute.

But why would it RISE as opposed to dropping, after the advent of education, however crappy it might be? It makes no sense, unless you take it at face value...which is that to encourage women to have extramarital sex without worrying about the consequences is a stupid thing to do. More stupid in Nigeria, where they're getting half the message...but have no idea where to go to get contraceptives....

So there you have it. They're hearing that it's okay to have sex and have a vague understanding that there are ways to fix it...but at the same time, they aren't being provided for as far as getting the contraceptives to them.

That's the problem there. People are young and naive everywhere, and the continued insistence that if we just tell the kids enough about how great sex is and how contraceptives are available that will eliminate the problem of teen pregnancy is a load of crap. You can load their pockets with contraceptive medications and devices and they'll STILL continue to get pregnant if we continue to tell them sex is good and natural at a young age. BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG AND STUPID. They don't read the directions on Campbell's soup cans, for pete's sakes. They walk into traffic while talking on their cells. They get candy stuck up their noses. They aren't ready for sexual activity, and they shouldn't be encouraged to try it out, or told it's normal for them to do so, any more than you tell a 3 y.o. it's okay to drive, so long as he wears a seat belt.

Still wondering why Alli completely side stepped my question about her apparent racist tendencies.

Or why she isn't blasting chanel for suggesting low income single women should not have children.

The answer is right in your article, you twit.
Government policies to promote sexual and reproductive health information and services for young Nigerians exist on paper, but have not been successfully implemented, the authors report. Most programs are carried out by nongovernmental organizations with little technical or financial assistance from the state.

And I don't even want to think about the horrors of getting an abortion in Nigeria. I know a woman who gave birth in Yemen, in a hospital, which is relatively civilized....and she and the baby nearly died and she couldn't have any more children. The idea of providing abortions to women who live in huts with dirt floors, no running water, no medical care for miles, no transportation..and sending them home gives me the horrors.

I don't personally advocate abortion, but I think those conditions you just described give me the horrors even MORE when I think about the woman HAVING the baby amongst them.

The reason I wanted to start the thread is because KK responded (and I wasn't sure about the rules of just moving her statement over here with mine) that she thought it was because the education wasn't up to par and the women don't have access to or the birth control products aren't up to par. But that's not what the link says.

Yes it is.

The report, Meeting Young Women's Sexual and Reproductive Health Needs in Nigeria , by Gilda Sedgh et al., analyzed nationally representative surveys and also found that the proportion of sexually active young women who knew where to obtain family planning services dropped by nearly half between 1990 and 2003, from 32% to 18%.

and, as the other poster already mentioned,

Government policies to promote sexual and reproductive health information and services for young Nigerians exist on paper, but have not been successfully implemented, the authors report. Most programs are carried out by nongovernmental organizations with little technical or financial assistance from the state.

The conclusion of the report seems to be the opposite of what you're presenting.

Female circumcision has also declined in Nigeria. I suspect that has some influence as well, but that's just speculation.

You teach women that sex can be enjoyed without worrying about the consequences, you are setting them up for failure and increasing the very problem you are trying to solve.

Teaching about contraception does not teach that sex can be enjoyed with consequences.

And if you keep telling women that sex is wonderful outside of marriage, that any and all consequences can be easily dealt with, they won't get pregnant, or if they do they can abort...you are removing what little control they do have over their reproduction.

Again with the women. Do you think that men have no risks and responsibilities when it comes to sex? Beyond that, that's not what sex ed classes teach.

You are LYING to women when you tell them they can "safely" have extramarital sex and be sure they won't get pregnant.

Good thing that sex education programs don't that teach that.

Either way, the report clearly states that as the educational level goes down, they've seen the pregnancy rate go up (see bolded quote above).

Another random meandering post. I have no idea WTF you're talking about.

The reason I wanted to start the thread is because KK responded (and I wasn't sure about the rules of just moving her statement over here with mine) that she thought it was because the education wasn't up to par and the women don't have access to or the birth control products aren't up to par. But that's not what the link says.

Yes it is.

The report, Meeting Young Women's Sexual and Reproductive Health Needs in Nigeria , by Gilda Sedgh et al., analyzed nationally representative surveys and also found that the proportion of sexually active young women who knew where to obtain family planning services dropped by nearly half between 1990 and 2003, from 32% to 18%.

The conclusion of the report seems to be the opposite of what you're presenting.

Female circumcision has also declined in Nigeria. I suspect that has some influence as well, but that's just speculation.

Teaching about contraception does not teach that sex can be enjoyed with consequences.

And if you keep telling women that sex is wonderful outside of marriage, that any and all consequences can be easily dealt with, they won't get pregnant, or if they do they can abort...you are removing what little control they do have over their reproduction.

Again with the women. Do you think that men have no risks and responsibilities when it comes to sex? Beyond that, that's not what sex ed classes teach.

You are LYING to women when you tell them they can "safely" have extramarital sex and be sure they won't get pregnant.

Either way, the report clearly states that as the educational level goes down, they've seen the pregnancy rate go up (see bolded quote above).

It's not about what you teach, it's about what they perceive. And if you aren't capable of teaching it in a manner which emphasizes that there is ALWAYS risk with sex, you're doing them a disservice.

And with kids, it doesn't matter. They're just too young (and remember, the women in Nigeria they're targeting are very, very young) don't have the ability to indulge in reckless sexual behavior, regardless of what you teach them or provide them with.

Yes it is.

It's not about what you teach, it's about what they perceive. And if you aren't capable of teaching it in a manner which emphasizes that there is ALWAYS risk with sex, you're doing them a disservice.

And with kids, it doesn't matter. They're just too young (and remember, the women in Nigeria they're targeting are very, very young) don't have the ability to indulge in reckless sexual behavior, regardless of what you teach them or provide them with.

Not exactly, what you teach can greatly influence how they perceive, if it's taught right. We are talking about a natural biological drive and natural biological functions, they cannot ignore them because they will appear no matter what you do. So unless they are given the facts their perception will often be undefined when it happens, making it a crap shoot. If they are given the wrong facts then, by the same logic, they will be swayed into doing the wrong thing, if given the right facts they will be swayed into doing the right thing. One thing most teens hate is being told what to do, but they love making decisions and learning (just not always what adults want them to). So you can't stop biology from driving them there, but you can give them the solid and proven facts so when it does they make a better decision. That is the reason for sex ed in the first place, however, in many areas it is executed poorly, greatly influenced by regional and religious flaws, so they get diluted or even misleading information, therefore making the poor decisions. In the US though it works in areas where "just the facts" are given.

The idea of providing abortions to women who live in huts with dirt floors, no running water, no medical care for miles, no transportation..and sending them home gives me the horrors.

So, OT a bit... does this mean you support keeping abortion safe and legal in this country?
It certainly would seem that abortions for Nigerian women is something Baba would consider a matter of course. She doesn't have a problem with Nigerian women having abortions. It's American women to whom she would like to deny it.

Forum List

Back