Unintended Consequences.

As I sat listening to the debates yesterday the liberal talking points were adhered to by each and every single member of the dimocrat party. One of their main issues stated is that "The Republicans want to give tax loopholes" to big oil companies.. okay so supposing that is correct, what would the consequences be if such loopholes were closed?

I know the answer. Do you?

Closing loopholes wont make them stop talking about evil big oil. They will still have their profits, we will just pay more at the pump.

I say, close the loopholes. But all the loopholes.

Can someone please back up their claim and post oil subsidies? I am highly interested in this fact or non-fact.

From my understanding, big oil is not like sugar and corn--who we make multi-billionaires out of our protectionists policies and subsidies.

tell us again who's idea it was to subsidize corn. and why?

It was FDR's plan due to the GD and Dust Bowl. However, dumbass Repukes have abused and distorted these policies.

Your point is?

First of all, a tax credit is a subsidy.

Secondly, the oil companies also receive a direct subsidy - a certain amount per barrel extracted from high-cost sources, for example.

Explain your first statement and provide evidence of your second statement

Thx in advance.
A tax credit is a method to allow a certain segment of the population to be rewarded with lower taxes in exchange for some behavior you would like to subsidize - having kids, for example.

That's a subsidy - a payment to encourage a behavior.

I'll track down the data on the extraction subsidies.

Tax "credit" and "subsidy" are two, very different things. One reduces the amount a "taxpayer" pays, and the other is "given" to a person/corporation/democrat fundraising gig/etc to encourage a specific behavior. The credit is an acknowledgement by the government that the taxpayer is "paying" too much. The subsidy is the "re-distribution of other people's wealth.

Ame®icano;3936869 said:
As I sat listening to the debates yesterday the liberal talking points were adhered to by each and every single member of the dimocrat party. One of their main issues stated is that "The Republicans want to give tax loopholes" to big oil companies.. okay so supposing that is correct, what would the consequences be if such loopholes were closed?

Closing loopholes wont make them stop talking about evil big oil. They will still have their profits, we will just pay more at the pump.

You got it. it would in effect be a big gigantic tax hike on ALL Americans. I say do it.

It took 30 replies to get to the answer. Seems this bunch isn't to bright. Not to mention easily side tracked, kinda like a small child.

And clearly prices would indeed go up. When profit is cut prices are always adjusted to compensate. Hence your business stays in business. What a bunch of dummies.....

Ame®icano;3936869 said:

You got it. it would in effect be a big gigantic tax hike on ALL Americans. I say do it.

Problem is, the government will not end subsidies and give up on only class warfare weapon they have on hand against those companies.

Forum List

Back