Uninsured ER patients twice as likely to die

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Chris, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    CHICAGO - Uninsured patients with traumatic injuries, such as car crashes, falls and gunshot wounds, were almost twice as likely to die in the hospital as similarly injured patients with health insurance, according to a troubling new study.

The findings by Harvard University researchers surprised doctors and health experts who have believed emergency room care was equitable.

"This is another drop in a sea of evidence that the uninsured fare much worse in their health in the United States," said senior author Dr. Atul Gawande, a Harvard surgeon and medical journalist.

Uninsured ER patients twice as likely to die - Health care- msnbc.com

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    They should have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps gotten a good education and gotten a good job with insurance benefits.

Everyone knows all it takes is an education to get a good job with benefits.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  3. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That, coupled with hard work worked for me...

4. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Why not just win the lottery and bypass all the boring education crap.

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    That's kind of like it was in the 70's when the government invoked DRG's Diagnostic Related Groups. It meant that when someone say comes into ER, or anywhere the hospital was only paid for what studies the government saidin their guidelines, such as an automobile accident with head injuries they only could take the minimum X-Rays and not a complete cervical study resulting I am sure in missed issues effecting the patient. If the hospital performed all the necessary procedures, they had to "EAT" the cost of anything not paid for by the restrictive DRG plan.

Now, with the Health Care BILL, I am afraid things will go right back and even worse. They don't even have a clue what it's going to cost, but one thing for sure, it will be many times the projected cost.

So that uninsured thing may apply to everyone who is insured too I am afraid. We'll see. And let's not forget, if one is TOO old and not going to be productive, well, adios, in so many words. They may very well be denied treatments or medication that will extend their lives.
    This could take 1900 pages to discuss, so Im gonna post in short bursts....:lol:

6. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    DRGs are currently in use, so I'm not sure what you mean about "going back" to them.

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    So everyone that works hard and gets a good education will get a good job with health insurance benefits?
    Or lets just say a good enough job to buy health insurance?

8. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,638
    what a bunch of garbage, doctors and nurses in an ER don't stop to check who's paying and who isn't when they treat trauma,, they just treat the damn trauma and let the hospital worry about collections.. don't you liberals ever get tired of the manure you spread? ever?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,638
    ssssh! facts destroy their fairytales.

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    Yes, I should have said they may become even worse, more restrictive, than they are now. More brilliant government accounting practices coming for all of us. "Going Back" that was my error. You all are so informed, that really scares the bejeezers out of those in Washington D.C.