Unilaterally Changing the Pledge

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.washtimes.com/national/20050422-111131-2272r.htm

2. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Changing it is dead wrong, and I agree she should be reprimanded. She had no right..

But.. why would it make news if someone at a town meeting refuses to stand for it? That should be his personal right...

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    apparently the voters who live there didn't think that way

4. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Because he is a councilman and councilmen make a pledge to the people of the city and in most cases, to upholding the laws of the United States. If he can't stand during the pledge of allegiance, then what should make one think he will uphold his pledge to the citizens of his town?

5. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That doesn't change the fact that it's his personal right to decide whether or not to take part in it. *shrug*

6. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ...to upholding the laws of the United States, yes. Taking part in the Pledge is not a law, and in no way affects his ability to properly do his job.

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    But it shows a lack of respect for the very institution he is to uphold the laws of. how can you enforce or support the laws of a country you do not respect?

I know he is (or was) just a lowly city councilman, but doing what he did, in my opinion, does not set a good example. Especially when done by a person in a position of authority.

8. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So standing is a requirement to show that you support your country? I wonder how I ever made it through school. I didn't take part in it, but sat there quietly while everyone else did. I have the utmost respect for the country I live in. I just don't hold the same religious views. Big deal.

He was hired to do a job. He got that job, so we can only assume his qualifications are exemplary. You can not hire or fire someone based on religious belief, so why would it be such a big deal after the fact?

9. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    How assinine. First off, he doesn't have to say the "under God" part. If he doesn't want to say that part, then set the example by not saying it. The pledge is not a religious act. It is a pledge of allegiance to the United States. How you or anybody else turns that into a religious pledge, I have NO clue.

And so what if you don't believe in God. For all I care, just consider yourself god when it comes to that portion of the pledge or, as I said, just skip over it.

10. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So, you're saying that he wouldn't get the same exact reaction if he promptly closed his mouth when it got to the "Under God" part? I think he would. How is sitting down any less offensive than skipping over it? It's not a religious act, but it does have a religious statement in it.

As I said, I don't believe it should be changed, but I don't believe choosing not to take part in it should be cause for termination (if he was), or should even be newsworthy.