Unified European Language.

I think Sanskrit is the language that can unify European Union. Of course, they have to have a mass learning program across entire EU first but after initial difficult phase, it should be a breeze.

Yot'siamana, avekshäham, avete...bharata!!

Bahooni mähvia titani, jahnmahni tava charjoona, tanyaham vädasarvani....

Sri bhagavan oovacha...

Hey, easy. We'll have Europe converted in, say, 400 years!

[MENTION=43534]Vikrant[/MENTION]

I think Sanskrit is the language that can unify European Union. Of course, they have to have a mass learning program across entire EU first but after initial difficult phase, it should be a breeze.

Sri bhagavan oovacha...

[MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION],

Quality work requires time. I think 400 years is not a bad price to pay for a unified language.

Sri bhagavan oovacha...

[MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION],

Quality work requires time. I think 400 years is not a bad price to pay for a unified language.

Vero, e vero!

Will Europe develop a unified language for schools, local government, and business? India has successfully implemented the English language in this fashion, and unified. Even the nation states within the EU selected a national language and implemented it. Will the EU succeed to select and implement such a unified pan-European language?

The European countries do not want this at all. This will not happen. There is no correlation between Europe and India. India is one country. Europe is many countries. There is no 'national' language selected for the EU and no implementation of it. Where do you get this information? European countries do not want to lose their cultural identity. They share an economic system, that is all.

They all speak english

I live and travel in Europe and I only speak English, and I experience almost no difficulty.

You can live and travel all over the world and speak English and have little or no difficulty. English is the INTERNATIONAL language nowadays. That does not mean that European countries are going to drop their own language and adopt English as their official language. Won't happen.

I think it's far more likely that those companies that do business with other EU nations have either corporate officers or translators on their staffs who speak several languages and who will help them to better communicate with their neighboring but foreign clients/vendors.

My friend who is French and married to a German, living in Germany, works for a company that does international business. She translates correspondence and contracts for them.

The Germans, the French, etc., are not going to give up their own language or culture in favor of English or the culture of English speaking countries. English is the international language at present as a result of the British Empire and America being a superpower since WWII. It will pass, as all things do. I am grateful to be a native Engish speaker as it has given me the opportunity to live and work internationally for the past ten+ years. But I do not have the arrogance to assume that the rest of the world wants to adopt English as their official language or adopt our culture. It is an international language because it is currently most convenient.

Last edited:
They all speak english

I live and travel in Europe and I only speak English, and I experience almost no difficulty.

You can live and travel all over the world and speak English and have little or no difficulty. English is the INTERNATIONAL language nowadays. That does not mean that European countries are going to drop their own language and adopt English as their official language. Won't happen.

The official international business language is American English. Do not tell this to the Brits though.

The official international business language is American English. Do not tell this to the Brits though.

I understand that, but this is not going to translate into European countries changing their official language to English. English is the international language, for now.

BTW, my friend who translates documents for an international company in Germany does not translate everything into English, not by a long shot. She is fluent in French, German, Spanish and English. If the companies involved are Spanish and German, she translates German into Spanish or Spanish into German. Same thing if the 2 companies are French and German. Though English may be the 'official' language designated by the EU, if neither company is English, they correspond, and do contracts, in their own languages, NOT in English.

Last edited:
Will Europe develop a unified language for schools, local government, and business? India has successfully implemented the English language in this fashion, and unified. Even the nation states within the EU selected a national language and implemented it. Will the EU succeed to select and implement such a unified pan-European language?

The European countries do not want this at all. This will not happen. There is no correlation between Europe and India. India is one country. Europe is many countries. There is no 'national' language selected for the EU and no implementation of it. Where do you get this information? European countries do not want to lose their cultural identity. They share an economic system, that is all.

Right, [MENTION=42498]Esmeralda[/MENTION] - spot-on!

It is incredibly enriching for me to be surrounded by so many languages, so many ways for people to express themselves. Germany borders nine countries: Denmark, The Netherlands (Holland), Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Austria, the Czech Republic and Poland. At any border zone you get to hear an awesome mixture of so many languages, so many dialects, it is just simply awesome.

I see no reason for Europeans to ever want to have a common language. And you are very right: with business English, people can understand each other quite well if they want to communicate that way. But there are other ways as well, as you pointed out.

I think the joke about Sanskrit is about the idea/theory/assumption/research that Sankrit is an Indo-European, or better put, Indo-Aryan (no political meaning attached) language - at least the vedic variety, and indeed it is. But it is so far removed from today's European languages that practically no one would see a family relation, I would venture to say.

:)

It is incredibly enriching for me to be surrounded by so many languages, so many ways for people to express themselves. Germany borders nine countries: Denmark, The Netherlands (Holland), Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Austria, the Czech Republic and Poland. At any border zone you get to hear an awesome mixture of so many languages, so many dialects, it is just simply awesome.

I see no reason for Europeans to ever want to have a common language. And you are very right: with business English, people can understand each other quite well if they want to communicate that way. But there are other ways as well, as you pointed out.

I think the joke about Sanskrit is about the idea/theory/assumption/research that Sankrit is an Indo-European, or better put, Indo-Aryan (no political meaning attached) language - at least the vedic variety, and indeed it is. But it is so far removed from today's European languages that practically no one would see a family relation, I would venture to say.

I am sure we are familiar with Calculus which pretty much dictates that you can integrate what you can differentiate and vice versa. Sanskrit is the origin of all European languages, so basically all the Indo – European languages are a result of differentiation process that Sanskrit went through. Now it is time to integrate back to Sanskrit. :)

Only problem is that the language itself was not meant for human beings. It was designed for machines. So it takes quite a long to actually master it and then once you grow old and Alzheimer hits you, Sanskrit and its generative grammar is the last thing you will remember. This limits the practicality of the language. Even in India, very small community of Brahmins are actually fluent in it. Outside of that it is only spoken/studied among the scholars at major universities.

I have worked for several European companies (Italian, German, French, Luxembourgish), all of which had "branches" all around the world. But the one common language that was always used in "blast" communications was English.

Interestingly, they all also had certain kinds of communications that were only sent out in the "mother" language, so if you didn't speak that, you had to get someone to translate for you.

Most interesting was Luxembourg. In casual conversations around the HQ, almost everybody spoke Luxembourgish. The H.R. department communicated to local employees exclusively in FRENCH. Everyone employed in a professional capacity in the HQ spoke English, German, and French, and at least one other language, usually Spanish or Russian. A lot of the Germans and French who commuted to work in Luxembourg did not speak Luxembourgish and had no interest in learning it, since it has so little value outside the Grand Duchy.

All meetings with divisions from around the world were held in English, and every new hire around the world was required to be fluent in English.

I have always thought it was "cool" to speak a foreign language, but as time goes by, English is fast becoming the language of business around the entire world, so it is almost the case now that if you know English, you don't need to know any other language.

I am sure we are familiar with Calculus which pretty much dictates that you can integrate what you can differentiate and vice versa. Sanskrit is the origin of all European languages, so basically all the Indo – European languages are a result of differentiation process that Sanskrit went through. Now it is time to integrate back to Sanskrit. :)

Only problem is that the language itself was not meant for human beings. It was designed for machines. So it takes quite a long to actually master it and then once you grow old and Alzheimer hits you, Sanskrit and its generative grammar is the last thing you will remember. This limits the practicality of the language. Even in India, very small community of Brahmins are actually fluent in it. Outside of that it is only spoken/studied among the scholars at major universities.

The Bhagadgadvita is written in Sankskrit. Quite a journey. The entire Arjuna-Krischna epic is in there.

BTW, the Sanskrit word for India, "Bharat", also means "strength".

The Bhagadgadvita is written in Sankskrit. Quite a journey. The entire Arjuna-Krischna epic is in there.

Cool. I knew that India's Sanskrit name is Bharat but I did not know it meant strength. Your Sanskrit is way better than mine. The last time I learned Sanskrit was when I was in 8th grade. I still recall the experience with horror. Math class seemed like a piece of cake compared to Sanskrit class. Finally when I passed the 8th grade and I was no longer required to study it, I was the happiest man on the planet.

Cool. I knew that India's Sanskrit name is Bharat but I did not know it meant strength. Your Sanskrit is way better than mine. The last time I learned Sanskrit was when I was in 8th grade. I still recall the experience with horror. Math class seemed like a piece of cake compared to Sanskrit class. Finally when I passed the 8th grade and I was no longer required to study it, I was the happiest man on the planet.

I delved deep into Sanskrit for about a year to prepare for the role of Ghandi in a very amazing opera called SATYAGRAHA. I found a really good coach and took Sanskrit language lessons, even.

I delved deep into Sanskrit for about a year to prepare for the role of Ghandi in a very amazing opera called SATYAGRAHA. I found a really good coach and took Sanskrit language lessons, even.

That is impressive.

One of my all time favorite quotes is from Gandhi.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you and then you win.

Last edited:

That is impressive.

One of my all time favorite quotes is from Gandhi.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you and then you win.

Yepp.

SATYAGRAHA - effecting change without violence.

By default, it is already happening. It is called English. You can go anywhere and people speak or at least understand it. It is already the language of NATO, business, shipping on the high seas, and travel in the sky.

Good thing they didn't make Russian their one unified language. Putin would be rolling through Paris now to "protect the Russian-speaking population."

Forum List

Back