Unhappy voters jam Capitol Hill phone lines

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The recent debate over the nearly $900 billion economic stimulus plan and revelations of tax problems by three Obama administration appointees have voters angrily jamming phone lines on Capitol Hill to air their frustrations to their elected representatives.

Their reactions are putting pressure on Congress and benefiting watchdog groups on both sides of the political aisle.

Capitol operators tell CNN Radio that phone lines have been jammed for the past two weeks, sometimes prompting busy signals.

A spokeswoman for Sen. Jim Webb, D-Virginia, said calls on the sweeping stimulus plan jumped from eight during all of January to hundreds a day now.

In a sampling of 12 Senate offices, half had so many messages that their voicemail boxes were full.

It's because of people like Betty Davidson.

"I'm very upset!" exclaimed the 63-year-old from Laguna Hills, California.

She called her senators Tuesday, frustrated with the almost $900 billion-dollar economic recovery proposal. Watch more on the stimulus debate in the Senate »

"What a joke!" she said.

But she is particularly incensed by news that Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner and former Obama appointees Tom Daschle and Nancy Killefer didn't pay their taxes properly in the past. Watch more of Obama's plan for the economy »

"They can make the laws, but they don't have to abide by the laws," she complained. "It's only we taxpayers."

Those bitter words are like spring rain to nonprofit watchdog groups across the spectrum, who are seeing big boosts in interest.

Unhappy voters jam Capitol Hill phone lines - CNN.com

If you want them to hear you, call your congressmen today. These people work for us; let them know your take on the stimulus plan, e-verify, Buy American, etc. Obama wants this thing signed by tonight. Hmm, is the voice of the people making him nervous?

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Exactly why Obama is trying to use the fear speech and fear tactics to get this thru as soon as possible... the people are coming around more and more to realize how much this stimulus plan is utter BULLSHIT...

He just wants to get his way and the same with his counterparts in congressional leadership.. they want their power positions to grow

He may also start to realize that he was voted in for change.. because a lot of the country was just mad at Bush and the REP party or whatever... but the populace as a whole really does not want this kind of crap coming from their government.. even if it is from the 'man of change' or the 'party of change' that they voted in.... not all change is good change, and this is a perfect example of that

I have called my representatives... and I do hope more and more rational people speak out against this horrid plan

People are complaining of 'circuits busy', call the reps local office.

*yawn*

sour grapes....

no one should listen to you people again ever. your policies are the reason we are where we are.
yeah, thats why the story said it crosses ideological lines

:rolleyes:

It's going to pass. It's armegeddon though for the Dems.. They can kiss bipartisan goodbye.. The people are calling and the Republicans are listening. obamalama has one chance,, this better work or he's done. he said as much the other day..

*yawn*

sour grapes....

no one should listen to you people again ever. your policies are the reason we are where we are.
yeah, thats why the story said it crosses ideological lines

:rolleyes:

It's going to pass. It's armegeddon though for the Dems.. They can kiss bipartisan goodbye.. The people are calling and the Republicans are listening. obamalama has one chance,, this better work or he's done. he said as much the other day..
of course its going to pass
but i hope not a single Republican votes for it
and i also hope the so called bluedogs dont vote for it either

i would rather they rip apart this mess called a stimulas and instead craft small, area specific plans. in other words, a bill on tax reform, a bill on energy, a bill on education, a bill on......
combining everything together just mixes up the good with the bad

• Thanks
Reactions: del
i would rather they rip apart this mess called a stimulas and instead craft small, area specific plans. in other words, a bill on tax reform, a bill on energy, a bill on education, a bill on......
i agree
these massive "fix all" bills never fix anything

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The recent debate over the nearly $900 billion economic stimulus plan and revelations of tax problems by three Obama administration appointees have voters angrily jamming phone lines on Capitol Hill to air their frustrations to their elected representatives.

Their reactions are putting pressure on Congress and benefiting watchdog groups on both sides of the political aisle.

Capitol operators tell CNN Radio that phone lines have been jammed for the past two weeks, sometimes prompting busy signals.

A spokeswoman for Sen. Jim Webb, D-Virginia, said calls on the sweeping stimulus plan jumped from eight during all of January to hundreds a day now.

In a sampling of 12 Senate offices, half had so many messages that their voicemail boxes were full.

It's because of people like Betty Davidson.

"I'm very upset!" exclaimed the 63-year-old from Laguna Hills, California.

She called her senators Tuesday, frustrated with the almost $900 billion-dollar economic recovery proposal. Watch more on the stimulus debate in the Senate »

"What a joke!" she said.

But she is particularly incensed by news that Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner and former Obama appointees Tom Daschle and Nancy Killefer didn't pay their taxes properly in the past. Watch more of Obama's plan for the economy »

"They can make the laws, but they don't have to abide by the laws," she complained. "It's only we taxpayers."

Those bitter words are like spring rain to nonprofit watchdog groups across the spectrum, who are seeing big boosts in interest.

Unhappy voters jam Capitol Hill phone lines - CNN.com

If you want them to hear you, call your congressmen today. These people work for us; let them know your take on the stimulus plan, e-verify, Buy American, etc. Obama wants this thing signed by tonight. Hmm, is the voice of the people making him nervous?

Betty Davidson can suck my dick. Did she call when Bush pissed away $350 billion? Did she call to stop spending $10 billion in Iraq?

Fuck her and every other Republican calling Washington.

If your senator doesn't vote for the bill, then your state doesn't get any of the recovery stimulous $.

i agree

Are people like you calling in defense of the Wall Street Bankers?

Last Friday, Sen. Claire McCaskill took to the Senate floor and said what I imagine a lot of us have been thinking about Wall Street lately:

"They don't get it. These people are idiots. You can't use taxpayer money to pay out $18 billion in bonuses...What planet are these people on?"1

Sen. McCaskill was reacting to the $18.4 billion in bonuses that Wall Street bankers took home in 2008. $18.4 billion going to the people who crippled our economy with their recklessness and greed and then took $700 billion of our money.2

Where is your outrage?

*yawn*

sour grapes....

yes..... i don't recall any dem congress folks or dem presidents in office during my life time....i am so glad obama and nacy and harry are in power so the can save all 57 states and 500 million jobs................all by passing out money to bussiness folk and average folk that have already proven their incompetance.......

That makes much more sense ... instead of a lump sum to basically spend at will.

Last edited:
i agree

Are people like you calling in defense of the Wall Street Bankers?

Last Friday, Sen. Claire McCaskill took to the Senate floor and said what I imagine a lot of us have been thinking about Wall Street lately:

"They don't get it. These people are idiots. You can't use taxpayer money to pay out $18 billion in bonuses...What planet are these people on?"1

Sen. McCaskill was reacting to the $18.4 billion in bonuses that Wall Street bankers took home in 2008. $18.4 billion going to the people who crippled our economy with their recklessness and greed and then took $700 billion of our money.2

Where is your outrage?
hey asshole, i opposed that one also
get your head out of your ass

Now, Now, you're givng bobo too much credit, The government broke this economy and now it wants to pick up the pieces and see if it can do better if it has control of everything not just the banking and mortgage industry the latter of which it regulated into bankruptcy.

Forum List

Back