Unfair Taxation Without Adequate Representation: Red States rip-off Blue States

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
As should be obvious to everyone by now, small population states (mainly Republcan) have a large per capita advantage in representation over large population states (mainly Democratic).

For instance, in both Congress (including Senators and House members) and the Electoral College:

Wyoming has one representative for every 174,277 people.

California has one representative for every 664,604 people.

That's approximately 4X the representation per capita.

See Chart

In addition, small population states generally receive more federal funding per capita (as seen here: US Census Funding data ),

and contribute less tax revenue than large population states, per capita (As seen here).

This would be a good example of unfair taxation without adequate representation.

I say large population states should sue the federal government for all the money small population states have been stealing from us via the Federal Government over the last few decades. Who's with me?

• Banned
The funny part of this is that the majority of the "tea party" fanatics are from small population Red States...

And they've been living off Blue State welfare for decades.

• Banned
Here's an example from todays headlines:

Apportionment of Stimulus Funding by State

See the chart next to the map.

Here's an example:

California has 36,756,666 people living in it, and received 25.66 Billion in funding.

That's $698.00 per person.

Montana has 967,440 people living in it, and received 1.15 Billion in funding.

That's $1189.00 per person.

As of 2007, the average Californian paid $8,590.18 in Federal Taxes.

The average person in Montana? $4,721.65

What's that all about?

• Banned
Of course I highly doubt to get much of a reponse from right-wingers on a thread that's so "off-message", lol.

More money is sucked up by NY and California then all the other states combined.

BTW, we are ONE country, not blue states and red states land.

• Banned
More money is sucked up by NY and California then all the other states combined.

I've provided links to charts above that show this to be a completely false statement.

Here I'll post the link again: US Census Funding data.

In addition, California and New York are among the top tax payers and near the bottom in federal funding, PER CAPITA.

• Banned
BTW, we are ONE country, not blue states and red states land.

It's the tea party folks that are complaining about their taxes, and Obama's spending.

It's the Governor of Texas who suggested Red States should secede from the Union.

And it's the Red States, where the conservative members of congress come from, that are robbing the Blue States blind through taxation.

Now, that's called irony.

Red states collect more in welfare than blue states.

As should be obvious to everyone by now, small population states (mainly Republcan) have a large per capita advantage in representation over large population states (mainly Democratic).

For instance, in both Congress (including Senators and House members) and the Electoral College:

See Chart

In addition, small population states generally receive more federal funding per capita (as seen here: US Census Funding data ),

and contribute less tax revenue than large population states, per capita (As seen here).

This would be a good example of unfair taxation without adequate representation.

I say large population states should sue the federal government for all the money small population states have been stealing from us via the Federal Government over the last few decades. Who's with me?

Well I don't think suing the federal government is the answer. After all, that would be like killing the cow that gives all the milk.

No, it doesn't seem fair, but I don't see any resolution other than the respective large state representatives lobbying for more money for their districts using the numbers you provide.

Unfortunately, since Congress makes these decisions, it's probably never going to change except by litigation or by constitutional convention.

If the federal government would stay within the confines of the Constitution we wouldn't be having this problem.

Well I don't think suing the federal government is the answer. After all, that would be like killing the cow that gives all the milk.

Here's a thought....why don't you go out and get your own milk instead of relying on the government to spoon feed you from cradle to grave.

Here's a thought....why don't you go out and get your own milk instead of relying on the government to spoon feed you from cradle to grave.

tha would mean they would have to do something they are not mentaly capable of doin

your own milk instead of relying on the government to spoon feed you

Apparently you missed the point.

I don't get my milk from the government, I make my money. It's the Red States that are stealing my milk.

And I want it back.

your own milk instead of relying on the government to spoon feed you

Apparently you missed the point.

I don't get my milk from the government, I make my money. It's the Red States that are stealing my milk.

And I want it back.

Actually it's the government that's stealing it and then redistributing it to the red states.

I've provided links to charts above that show this to be a completely false statement.

In addition, California and New York are among the top tax payers and near the bottom in federal funding, PER CAPITA.

It is not a 'false' statment, its truth.

Using 'per capita' is a sham, as its devided by population, the red states tend to have far less population thus the 'per capita' number will always be higher.

In short, YOU are a fraud as is your charts and nonsense.

It is not a 'false' statment, its truth.

Using 'per capita' is a sham, as its devided by population, the red states tend to have far less population thus the 'per capita' number will always be higher.

In short, YOU are a fraud as is your charts and nonsense.

No, you use per capita.

You are correct in that CA and NY receive more money but they also have more people and the effects are best seen on a per person basis.

For example, if you have a state with 10,000,000 people who receive on average per capita welfare payments of $1 per day, they receive $10 million in welfare payments. If another state has 1,000,000 people and they receive $5 per person in welfare and receive $5 million in total welfare payments, the smaller state is more reliant on welfare payments even the net effect is less in total.

To see the net effect of federal transfers, you would have to see both per capita transfers from the federal government less taxes paid to the federal government.

See Chart

No need to sue the federal government. Most federal programs are progressive designed to help low income States the most. Right now we have 3 progessives running our country: Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. The solution is to vote out the progressives. Are you doing your part?

Forum List

Back