UNESCO grants Palestinians full membership

alexa

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2009
Scotland
Cultural body is first UN agency Palestinians have sought to join since opening bid for recognition; Brazil, Russia, China, India, South Africa and France vote in favor; U.S., Canada and Germany oppose, while Britain abstains.

The United Nations' cultural agency decided on Monday to give the Palestinians full membership of the body, a vote that will boost their bid for recognition as a state at the United Nations.

UNESCO is the first UN agency the Palestinians have sought to join as a full member since President Mahmoud Abbas applied for full membership of the United Nations on Sept. 23.

The motion to admit the Palestinians was passed by UNESCO members meeting in Paris, with 107 votes in favor, 14 against and 52 abstentions.

-snip

Huge cheers went up in UNESCO after delegates voted to approve the membership on Monday. One shouted "Long Live Palestine!" in French.

Palestinian officials are seeking full membership in the United Nations, but because that effort is expected to take some time, they separately pursued membership at Paris-based UNESCO.

UNESCO grants Palestinians full membership - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Negotiations are still necessary to move from 'virtual state' to 'real state' alexa.

The unilateral move from Gaza proved the use of unilateralism in the ME.

However, this does give the Palestinians a background to effect this negotiation 'if' they take it and as such I personally welcome it. If not, it is more of the same with a stated desire to end Israel.

At the moment they are talking peace out of one side of the mouth and working towards war out of the other.

imo

Last edited:
the us a pulling out funding for unesco now, what a bunch of freaks, the US has lost any scrap of decency. really, I mean what a bunch of dicks.

palectine we salute you.:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::lol::lol::lol:

Negotiations are still necessary to move from 'virtual state' to 'real state' alexa.

However, this does give the Palestinians a background to effect this negotiation 'if' they take it and as such I personally welcome it. If not, it is more of the same with a stated desire to end Israel.

At the moment they are talking peace out of one side of the mouth and working towards war out of the other.

imo
last I noted they were being bombed!

Israel launches fresh air strike in Gaza - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

I am aware this is only UNESCO

The UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) voted on Monday to admit Palestine as a member, a move which is likely to cause the US government to cut off tens of millions of dollars in annual funding to the body.

The decision grants full membership to Palestine, which has had observer status since 1974; it allows the Palestinians to register certain sites, like the Church of the Nativity, in UNESCO's World Heritage register. Riad al-Malki, the Palestinian foreign minister, said the vote would help to "preserve cultural heritage in Palestine."

It is a small victory for the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), which filed a bid last month for full membership at the UN.

UNESCO approves Palestinian membership bid - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Nonetheless it is a show of support for them, grants then some rights and hopefully the first step towards an agreed peace.

imo

The UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) voted on Monday to admit Palestine as a member, a move which is likely to cause the US government to cut off tens of millions of dollars in annual funding to the body.

The decision grants full membership to Palestine, which has had observer status since 1974; it allows the Palestinians to register certain sites, like the Church of the Nativity, in UNESCO's World Heritage register. Riad al-Malki, the Palestinian foreign minister, said the vote would help to "preserve cultural heritage in Palestine."

It is a small victory for the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), which filed a bid last month for full membership at the UN.

Nonetheless it is a show of support for them, grants then some rights and hopefully the first step towards an agreed peace.

Yes, and there's no action going on from your side eh?

It's all one sided? Israeli society and the government is calling for the end of the Palestinians alexa? No bombs coming from that side.

I see both sides. You? If you do, you seldom state more than one side. Sad that.

But at least we can discuss. You are not calling for the end of Israel that I see. Even if Hamas is doing so.

Are you?

imo

It's all one sided? Israeli society and the government is calling for the end of the Palestinians alexa? No bombs coming from that side.

I see both sides. You? If you do, you seldom state more than one side. Sad that.

But at least we can discuss. You are not calling for the end of Israel that I see. Even if Hamas is doing so.

Are you?

I am not a Palestinian Ropey so it is not my side. I understood it was Israel who broke the truce from August

Israeli airstrikes kill nine Palestinians - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

I felt they were maybe trying to stir things up. That seems to happen every now and then, but if I have missed something please let me know. :)

Are you?

I am not a Palestinian Ropey so it is not my side. I understood it was Israel who broke the truce from August

I felt they were maybe trying to stir things up. That seems to happen every now and then, but if I have missed something please let me know. :)

Both sides break truces. Both sides try and stir things up. It is a human condition and considering both sides, understandable. Both sides. If you are not from one side alexa, then you might wish to move towards the center to facilitate, rather than indict. Or not.

The future is not in the hands of two posters on this forum. We (Palestinians and Jews) should be able to come to some kind of understanding when there are people in the middle 'attempting to help'?

the us a pulling out funding for unesco now, what a bunch of freaks, the US has lost any scrap of decency.
Outstanding! There're more interesting venues, like something decent to do stateside, to spend that money on, instead of wasting it on that Useless Nations outfit, of course.

Are you?

Both sides break truces. Both sides try and stir things up. I was too lazy to take the time to change it. It is a human condition and considering both sides, understandable. Both sides. If you are not from one side alexa, then you might wish to move towards the center to facilitate, rather than indict. Or not.

The future is not in the hands of two posters on this forum. We (Palestinians and Jews) should be able to come to some kind of understanding when there are people in the middle 'attempting to help'?

Take a deep breath, I have done my best but I think you will still find this hard reading.

I know both sides stir, I should have written that. I wish I or indeed anyone in the world could be in the centre ro facilitate. It seems the impossible! I do have sympathies for the Palestinians and on looking after my last post it looks like Israeli's have also been killed. I don't want that either.

Where do you find a middle place Ropey? The only possibility I can see is to look at any possible peace and the only thing I can see now is a one state solution. That is either the Palestinians get recognition and miraculously manage by law to get the settlements removed or some state for all the people needs to come. I have felt for about a year that is the only possibility and I notice for the first time Jfjfp has also brought it to the surface

Sharing rather than dividing the land… | Jews for Justice for Palestinians

The way to that is massive. Here is the new Israeli site rambling on it

Eretz Yoshveyha – English |

It goes different to all the current mainstream ideology on the Israeli side and yet, I think it may be the only workable solution.

The problem is that the Palestinians are powerless and it isn't right how they are living. I suspect it will need to go through sanctions and a whole lot more before Israel moves for peace.

I don't believe that peace is impossible from the Palestinians or that living together is impossible. The vast majority at the moment despite their hardship know that peaceful protest is their only hope. When/if peace does come, it will still take a little time to sort out people who have got addicted to terrorism or settlers who have become too extremist themselves.

I have said this to you before. It is a hell of a conundrum. I do not find the situation the Palestinians are in at the moment acceptable. I do not like the killing of anyone.

You know the sad thing is that most of the things Tinmore puts in are true. I cannot imagine what it must be like living like that. I have found that the more I have found out about the situation, the more I have had sympathies for the Palestinians.

You are of course right. The Palestinians need to get their act together politically. They ideally create unity and get elections for the people...but I genuinely find that in my mind I see it far easier to sort the Palestinians out than I do the settlers or the desires of the present Israeli government. To me, they shut the door.

I certainly want the situation solved but it is getting realistically not very likely that a two state solution is possible so maybe it is time to start just imagining if it were possible to have a one state. Equal rights would sort out a lot of the problems. You could be the be the most impressive State in the world - the cultural oasis...or this situation could just be an unending source of tension and turmoil in the world.

I am sorry I cannot move more to the middle but it just seems so massively weighted in Israel's favour. It is not as it may seem to you that I don't like Israeli's. When I was there I liked them a great deal. It is just that, apart from terrorist attacks killing innocent Israelis, it is the Palestinians who are suffering as far as I can see.

Cultural body is first UN agency Palestinians have sought to join since opening bid for recognition; Brazil, Russia, China, India, South Africa and France vote in favor; U.S., Canada and Germany oppose, while Britain abstains.

The United Nations' cultural agency decided on Monday to give the Palestinians full membership of the body, a vote that will boost their bid for recognition as a state at the United Nations.

UNESCO is the first UN agency the Palestinians have sought to join as a full member since President Mahmoud Abbas applied for full membership of the United Nations on Sept. 23.

The motion to admit the Palestinians was passed by UNESCO members meeting in Paris, with 107 votes in favor, 14 against and 52 abstentions.

-snip

Huge cheers went up in UNESCO after delegates voted to approve the membership on Monday. One shouted "Long Live Palestine!" in French.

Palestinian officials are seeking full membership in the United Nations, but because that effort is expected to take some time, they separately pursued membership at Paris-based UNESCO.

UNESCO grants Palestinians full membership - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

and at this very moment the order has gone out to deny US funding via the UN to that agency , good move Obama. :clap2:

Last edited:
NAZARETH, (PIC)-- The Israeli occupation government expressed its resentment at the historical decision taken on Monday by the majority of the UNESCO member states to accept Palestine's bid for full membership in the culture organization.

In a statement issued Monday, the Israeli foreign ministry condemned the move, claiming it would hinder the stalled peace talks, which are in fact always thwarted by Israel's arrogance and ongoing Judaization and settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian lands.

The statement threatened that Israel would stop its cooperation with the UNESCO.

Israeli occupation to reconsider relations with UNESCO

the us a pulling out funding for unesco now, what a bunch of freaks, the US has lost any scrap of decency. really, I mean what a bunch of dicks.

palectine we salute you.:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::lol::lol::lol:

:cuckoo: maybe if you removed your boyfriends dick from your throat, we could understand you.

GAZA, (PIC)-- Hamas Movement welcomed the decision taken by a majority vote to admit Palestine as a member state in the UNESCO and described this step as a reflection of the declining US influence and role in the world.

Its spokesman in Gaza Sami Abu Zuhri told the Palestinian information center (PIC) that his Movement hailed such move that confirmed the Palestinian people's inherent right to their land, holy places and heritage.

Hamas: UNESCO's Palestine verdict reflected the retreating role of the US

Both sides break truces. Both sides try and stir things up. I was too lazy to take the time to change it. It is a human condition and considering both sides, understandable. Both sides. If you are not from one side alexa, then you might wish to move towards the center to facilitate, rather than indict. Or not.

Take a deep breath, I have done my best but I think you will still find this hard reading.

I know both sides stir, I should have written that. I wish I or indeed anyone in the world could be in the centre ro facilitate. It seems the impossible! I do have sympathies for the Palestinians and on looking after my last post it looks like Israeli's have also been killed. I don't want that either.

Where do you find a middle place Ropey? The only possibility I can see is to look at any possible peace and the only thing I can see now is a one state solution. That is either the Palestinians get recognition and miraculously manage by law to get the settlements removed or some state for all the people needs to come. I have felt for about a year that is the only possibility and I notice for the first time Jfjfp has also brought it to the surface

It goes different to all the current mainstream ideology on the Israeli side and yet, I think it may be the only workable solution.

The problem is that the Palestinians are powerless and it isn't right how they are living. I suspect it will need to go through sanctions and a whole lot more before Israel moves for peace.

I don't believe that peace is impossible from the Palestinians or that living together is impossible. The vast majority at the moment despite their hardship know that peaceful protest is their only hope. When/if peace does come, it will still take a little time to sort out people who have got addicted to terrorism or settlers who have become too extremist themselves.

I have said this to you before. It is a hell of a conundrum. I do not find the situation the Palestinians are in at the moment acceptable. I do not like the killing of anyone.

You know the sad thing is that most of the things Tinmore puts in are true. I cannot imagine what it must be like living like that. I have found that the more I have found out about the situation, the more I have had sympathies for the Palestinians.

You are of course right. The Palestinians need to get their act together politically. They ideally create unity and get elections for the people...but I genuinely find that in my mind I see it far easier to sort the Palestinians out than I do the settlers or the desires of the present Israeli government. To me, they shut the door.

I certainly want the situation solved but it is getting realistically not very likely that a two state solution is possible so maybe it is time to start just imagining if it were possible to have a one state. Equal rights would sort out a lot of the problems. You could be the be the most impressive State in the world - the cultural oasis...or this situation could just be an unending source of tension and turmoil in the world.

I am sorry I cannot move more to the middle but it just seems so massively weighted in Israel's favour. It is not as it may seem to you that I don't like Israeli's. When I was there I liked them a great deal. It is just that, apart from terrorist attacks killing innocent Israelis, it is the Palestinians who are suffering as far as I can see.

And this is why unilateralism on both sides is coming alexa. The war in those eyes of yours, it comes.

One state solution is the dissolution of Israel.

Not happening. War will come first imo. And not a small one. This is what I see, not what I want. Let the Palestinians take unilateralism to where they wish to go as I do not wish to hold them back.

Let them reap their own rewards for their own choices. Let Israel do the same and then let whoever we worship decide the end.

^ My personal opinion.

And this is why unilateralism on both sides is coming alexa. The war in those eyes of yours, it comes.

One state solution is the dissolution of Israel.

Not happening.

You have not surprised me and that is where it is a conundrum. It isn't that I am saying my choice is no Israel it is just that the settlements make a Palestine virtually impossible. It's like we discussed in another thread. The Palestinians need to have one or the other. I don't think they are particularly bothered which it is just that the terrain has become rather far fetched for a Palestinian State.

I absolutely know you feel this passionately. If the Palestinians can get back most of the West Bank, East Jerusalem and a link to Gaza, what Oslo agreed, then there is no reason why Israel cannot remain as a separate state but you know that the land is being taken away more and more and that there is a massive big wall getting in the way and there isn't at the moment a possibility of a Palestinian State. Something has to give.

War will come first imo. And not a small one.

I am not surprised to hear that but I would be interested in hearing what you see happening.

Looks like she is certainly getting ready.

Report: Israel seeking to upgrade its nuclear weapons capabilities - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News
This is what I see, not what I want. Let the Palestinians take unilateralism to where they wish to go as I do not wish to hold them back.

Let them reap their own rewards for their own choices. Let Israel do the same and then let whoever we worship decide the end.

^ My personal opinion.

Can you explain what you mean here? Is it if the Palestinians try to use the UN and the rule of law to get back her land as per Oslo you see this massive war?

If the Palestinians are unable to achieve that they will ask to be citizens of the land they in reality share with Israel now, Are you saying that if she asks for the vote and the world starts to put pressure on Israel she will go to war - or possibly earlier. There was an article in Harretz yesterday about Lieberman saying Abbas must be dealt with. There must be a price for him to pay or some such thing. Possibly beginning already.

Last edited:
This is actually better news for the US than it is for the Palestinians. Congress passed a law a long time ago about this contingency, and this now means UNESCO gets no more US funds.

We save some money, UNESCO looses half its funding. Win Win.

Forum List

Back