Unemployment tops 10% in 16 states

Soaking the rich by taxation has damned little to do with the current unemployment, sport.

For your theory to be right, the rate of taxation on the rich would have had to be rising to explain the current state of affairs.

Given that the rate of taxation on the rich has been going down for the last thirty years, your theory is worse than worthless, it's completely specious.

Soaking the rich by taxation has damned little to do with the current unemployment, sport.

For your theory to be right, the rate of taxation on the rich would have had to be rising to explain the current state of affairs.

Given that the rate of taxation on the rich has been going down for the last thirty years, your theory is worse than worthless, it's completely specious.

These states are some of the highest taxes and regulations in the country SPORT. No one wants to start new business there.....and are moving existing business to more capitalist friendly states. GET A CLUE:cuckoo:

These states are some of the highest taxes and regulations in the country SPORT. No one wants to start new business there.....and are moving existing business to more capitalist friendly states. GET A CLUE:cuckoo:

The exodus from Michigan has little to do with the tax rate. In addition, there are huge tax breaks available for businesses wanting to relocate to Michigan.

I say this as someone who has relocated to and started a business in Michigan in the last 12 months.

This is the weirdest recession I've ever seen. Unemployment is slightly above 10% in the city I live in, yet everywhere I go, I see people spending money like crazy. Everyday on my way home from work I pass a fairly large mall. I can see about half the parking lot from the highway. The parking lot is full everyday. It's just weird.

[The 15% figure for Michigan is bullshit. It's close to 20.
/QUOTE]

I don't know what the official unemployment rate is here in Northwestern Illinois but I know it's pretty high - especially in Rockford.

This is the weirdest recession I've ever seen. Unemployment is slightly above 10% in the city I live in, yet everywhere I go, I see people spending money like crazy. Everyday on my way home from work I pass a fairly large mall. I can see about half the parking lot from the highway. The parking lot is full everyday. It's just weird.

Compared to a lot of people we are financially very comfortable, but we are still trying to take out cash just twice a month (1st and 15th), and make it last for the entire month (i.e. not using cards at all in stores).

We're fine as well. I don't think our habits have changed that much, and most of our friends live pretty much the same way as they did before. Some are losing jobs, but then they find jobs.

It is weird to hear about how bad things are, when we are still pretty much the same - It does make it easier to say "no" to the kids when they ask to buy something though.

I am sure there are people in dire straits out there, and I hope the economy turns around for their sake.

Exactly and they prove that Obamaism won't work.

The exodus from Michigan has little to do with the tax rate. In addition, there are huge tax breaks available for businesses wanting to relocate to Michigan.

I say this as someone who has relocated to and started a business in Michigan in the last 12 months.

Sometimes low taxation and regulations aren't enough. Many times they aren't enough! MI is a mess right now and people know it. When auto boom was going on, the liberals in MI were taxing people like liberals normally do. Now that Detroit is a complete mess they are trying to lure business with lower regulations and taxes. Its a mess right now, but I guarantee Detroit makes a rebound within the next 5-8 yrs. Reasons:
(1) Population, although shrinking, is still there!
(2) The Unions are losing power that they will never get back! Libs don't want to say it, but they are a big culprit in the fall of the Big Three
(3) The minimum value of a home in Detroit is $18K! Even in nice good "White" neighborhoods you can get a home for cheap. That has attracted people who do regional outside sales from their home, writers or people who are able to work from there homes. I know an IT guy at my company moved to Detroit (sold his place in Chicago making $50K on it, would have been $150K a few years back) and bought a place outright for $30K in a nice neighborhood! He works from home and is making the same salary! A little move like that made him a wealthy man!
(4) Corporate Property, including large factories, are available to amazingly cheap prices. Dirt cheap. With not to mention a large amount of out of work laborers that might still be around
(5) Lower taxation and lower regulations do attract businessmen!

Sometimes low taxation and regulations aren't enough. Many times they aren't enough! MI is a mess right now and people know it. When auto boom was going on, the liberals in MI were taxing people like liberals normally do. Now that Detroit is a complete mess they are trying to lure business with lower regulations and taxes. Its a mess right now, but I guarantee Detroit makes a rebound within the next 5-8 yrs. Reasons:
(1) Population, although shrinking, is still there!
(2) The Unions are losing power that they will never get back! Libs don't want to say it, but they are a big culprit in the fall of the Big Three
(3) The minimum value of a home in Detroit is $18K! Even in nice good "White" neighborhoods you can get a home for cheap. That has attracted people who do regional outside sales from their home, writers or people who are able to work from there homes. I know an IT guy at my company moved to Detroit (sold his place in Chicago making $50K on it, would have been $150K a few years back) and bought a place outright for $30K in a nice neighborhood! He works from home and is making the same salary! A little move like that made him a wealthy man!
(4) Corporate Property, including large factories, are available to amazingly cheap prices. Dirt cheap. With not to mention a large amount of out of work laborers that might still be around
(5) Lower taxation and lower regulations do attract businessmen!

I agree, though I think less than 10 years may be optimistic. Pittsburgh is a good example.

You argument wasn't sound, champ.

You can get pissed at me for pointing it out, but I doubt I'm the only person who saw its flaws.

I agree with the criticism of the OP. If you are going to make an assertion, you should back the assertion up.

OTOH (Rational argument must be easier in science fiction other worlds, where there are more other hands to go to....) I have seen articles in the Wall Street Journal and Forbes that suggest that higher taxation leads to higher unemployment. Oregon has a more progressive tax system that Washington, and has a greater deal of tax effort. Oregon also has a better selection of natural resources. Washington leads Oregon substantially in job creation and Oregon has substantially higher unemployment over time.

Since I don't have a subscription to either paper, I can't bring the articles over here, but those who do have good google-fu might find it a fun project to examine those states with the highest level general tax, like New York and Illinois, and the greatest level of job loss. It also might be useful to examine the level of progressivity of tax and the level of employment. People keep moving to Washington to get jobs, even though the state must have the suckiest tax system in the country.

It might be noted that when federal taxes sank quickly back in the 80s, state tax codes suddenly became more of a factor when choosing where to build a factory. And the states with the most unfriendly tax systems lost badly in the new job creation stakes to the states that had the more job friendly states.

Bill Clinton raised the rate of taxation on the rich in 1993. The Republicans predicted disaster. What we got was the longest sustained boom in the history of this nation.

Odd. We are seeing just the opposite here in Portland, Oregon.

[

Bill Clinton raised the rate of taxation on the rich in 1993. The Republicans predicted disaster. What we got was the longest sustained boom in the history of this nation.[/QUOTE]

Thats a lie:eusa_liar:

Exactly and they prove that Obamaism won't work.

I see. Eight years of Republican incompetance, corruption and malfeasance got us to where we are at. Yet the fact that President Obama cannot get us out of that hole in seven months proves that his efforts aren't working? Dude, you are one partisan stupe.

Forum List

Back