unemployment starts the double dip

If the feds had not kept interest rates so low during the Bush presidency perhaps the fed could have an impact on this recession.

If the Bush economy was so great why was the interest rate kept so low?

Because maybe growing Government and spending more don't make for good long term effects on the economy. Just like under FRD and now under Obama.

Shit, Obama has a .25%, that's a *POINT* ---->.<----- 25% and during the GREAT DEPRESSION we had a around 2.5 to 3%...

Us federal reserve entire history rates image by bonddad on Photobucket

that was my point. Bush grew employment and the goverment thru massive spending. So when it fell apart there was no reserve to bump the economy back up.

If the economy was so good under bush why did they keep the interest rates so low?
The fact is the Bush economy was all bogus and only propped up by low rates and massive govt spending.

Do you understand how the Federal Reserve works? You seem to be under the impression that President Bush heads the originator of interest rates--i.e. the Fed. This is not true, it was under the auspices of Chairman Greenspan.

Because maybe growing Government and spending more don't make for good long term effects on the economy. Just like under FRD and now under Obama.

Shit, Obama has a .25%, that's a *POINT* ---->.<----- 25% and during the GREAT DEPRESSION we had a around 2.5 to 3%...

Us federal reserve entire history rates image by bonddad on Photobucket

that was my point. Bush grew employment and the goverment thru massive spending. So when it fell apart there was no reserve to bump the economy back up.

If the economy was so good under bush why did they keep the interest rates so low?
The fact is the Bush economy was all bogus and only propped up by low rates and massive govt spending.

Do you understand how the Federal Reserve works? You seem to be under the impression that President Bush heads the originator of interest rates--i.e. the Fed. This is not true, it was under the auspices of Chairman Greenspan.

chariman greenspan needs to be poverty stricken. But that is another matter.

You think the administration has no impact on how the chairman proceeds?

No impact at all, probably not realistic. I do know that Greenspan was considered infalliable by most Presidents. He wielded great power. Unlike Geithner, who appears to be a puppet on strings.

You believe in a battle of intellects, Bush proved to Greenspan that high interest rates were detrimental to the economy--contrary to Greenspan's own beliefs? Imagining such an scenario is an incredible leap of imagination.

Last edited:

No impact at all, probably not realistic. I do know that Greenspan was considered infalliable by most Presidents. He wielded great power. Unlike Geithner, who appears to be a puppet on strings.

Obviously Most presidents were wrong about Greenspan.
Geithner is a wussy with conflict of interest issues.

You believe in a battle of intellects, Bush proved to Greenspan that high interest rates were detrimental to the economy--contrary to Greenspan's own beliefs? Imagining such an scenario is an incredible leap of imagination.

The point is the FedR’s job is to keep the economy going good as best it can. The dot com bubble burst and went right into the housing bubble, many people predicted this collapse near 10 years ago, I’m sure the Fed knew it was coming and tried to offset it.

The predicted collapse was not a date someone could point out, every year the Fed “kept things going” pushing back the meltdown meant the collapse was going to be that much bigger, and here we are.

Under Bush there was the housing bubble, massive outsourcing and the interest rates from the fed were going down, not up… yet things got worse and worse. Now Government spending is at an all time high, the fed has no lower it can go on rates (literally) and yet we are looking at the recession as taking a BIG turn for the worse.

Does it matter if the president can tell the fed what to do? The fed needs to make the president look good so they don’t risk getting torn apart by taking public heat. What good is the Fed as a bank if America rejects it and never pays them back? That might sound silly but that’s where things are headed.

The answer is simple… You can’t bail out car companies and big banks, you can’t keep millions on welfare and force Government HC on the people while propping up the housing industry. Of course all of this is made possible for a short time due to the FedR, however in the end it will be one giant collapse rather than many small ones that are rebuilt upon correctly.

Forum List

Back