Unemployment Rate Falls to 8.6%...

The way things have been since September of 2008, I celebrate every improvement. And I think we are seeing improvement. I would argue it is in spite of what the clowns in DC are doing, rather than because of it.

As Trajan pointed out, some of the improvement comes from the way statistics are compiled. My unemployment ran out, so I am no longer unemployed. Even though I am worse off by 300 per week and still not working
You are only unemployed if you have stopped looking for work, not because your benefits ran out. So get off your fat ass and look for a job. :eusa_whistle:
how's that for CON$ervative tough love?

Thank Obama for 315,000 people giving up on their lives and not even trying to find a job anymore.
The 315,000 seasonal drop in the civilian labor force is almost unprecedented for a November. Since 1982, there have been only 7 times the labor force has dropped between an October and a November, and only 3 times has the drop been even close to this steep. In 2002, 273,000 departed the labor force, in 2008, 332,000 departed the labor force, and in 2009, 227,000 departed the labor force.

Employment Situation Summary
But it will be quite typical for quite a while as the boomers retire and leave the work force every month in greater and greater numbers opening up their jobs to the younger generations.

The way things have been since September of 2008, I celebrate every improvement. And I think we are seeing improvement. I would argue it is in spite of what the clowns in DC are doing, rather than because of it.

As Trajan pointed out, some of the improvement comes from the way statistics are compiled. My unemployment ran out, so I am no longer unemployed. Even though I am worse off by 300 per week and still not working
You are only unemployed if you have stopped looking for work, not because your benefits ran out. So get off your fat ass and look for a job. :eusa_whistle:
how's that for CON$ervative tough love?

right over your head. twit.

Thank Obama for 315,000 people giving up on their lives and not even trying to find a job anymore.
The 315,000 seasonal drop in the civilian labor force is almost unprecedented for a November. Since 1982, there have been only 7 times the labor force has dropped between an October and a November, and only 3 times has the drop been even close to this steep. In 2002, 273,000 departed the labor force, in 2008, 332,000 departed the labor force, and in 2009, 227,000 departed the labor force.

But it will be quite typical for quite a while as the boomers retire and leave the work force every month in greater and greater numbers opening up their jobs to the younger generations.

:lol:actually no, it won't and hasn't. and the years 2008 and 2009 were only 2 and 3 years ago. hello, the economy? They are not going to go willingly, in anywhere near the numbers expected....

Baby Boomers: Are They or Aren

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/01/132490242/boomers-take-the-retire-out-of-retirement

Last edited:

:lol:actually no, it won't and hasn't. and the years 2008 and 2009 were only 2 and 3 years ago. hello, the economy? They are not going to go willingly, in anywhere near the numbers expected....

Boomers Take The 'Retire' Out Of Retirement : NPR
From your own link, twit

According to AdAge, more than 3 million baby boomers will turn 65 years old every year in this decade.
Further, if just half of them retire that could add as many as 8.3 million people to the ranks of people leaving the workforce over the next five years.[3] Startling observation from that same AdAge report: “That's more than those of all ages who left in the past five years.”

That's about 150,000 65 year olds a month for the next 5 years, twit.

From your own link, twit

According to AdAge, more than 3 million baby boomers will turn 65 years old every year in this decade.
Further, if just half of them retire that could add as many as 8.3 million people to the ranks of people leaving the workforce over the next five years.[3] Startling observation from that same AdAge report: “That's more than those of all ages who left in the past five years.”

From the first link:

A Harris Interactive poll reported this summer that older Americans now expect to retire at age 69, on average. A decade ago, they expected to retire at 64.[2] That is a significant change and it shifts expectations for HR executives in very real ways.

As Trajan said, a lot of seniors are not going to retire at 65, they're going to wait longer. I suspect the number will be a lot less than 150,000 a month for quite awhile.

From your own link, twit

From the first link:

A Harris Interactive poll reported this summer that older Americans now expect to retire at age 69, on average. A decade ago, they expected to retire at 64.[2] That is a significant change and it shifts expectations for HR executives in very real ways.

As Trajan said, a lot of seniors are not going to retire at 65, they're going to wait longer. I suspect the number will be a lot less than 150,000 a month for quite awhile.
The same link only figured 50% retiring at 65 for the 150,000 number. While some will work until 69, a number will also retire at 62. That 150,000 number was for only 65 year olds, so the total number of retirees of ALL ages will probably be much higher than 150,000 per month.

By the way our Government and the Federal Reserve calculates unemployment numbers we will "all" be selling apples on street corners or standing in soup lines come next November while they will be reporting unemployment at 4%. (conveniently right before the November election)

By the way our Government and the Federal Reserve calculates unemployment numbers we will "all" be selling apples on street corners or standing in soup lines come next November while they will be reporting unemployment at 4%. (conveniently right before the November election)

They'll probably say that our economy has evolved or some shit like that. It reminds me of this discussion I had on another board with a liberal who said that we should count the people who use social networks regularly as employed. And that we're now in a "evolved economy," and that really we're at full employment.

I can't believe people like that exist.

Forget the unemployment numbers.

What percentage of all workers are working is a MUCH MUCH better measure of the issue.

The percentage of all workers working is currently about 58%.

Yeah that's right.

About 42% of all workers does not have a job.

Forget the unemployment numbers.

What percentage of all workers are working is a MUCH MUCH better measure of the issue.

The percentage of all workers working is currently about 58%.

Yeah that's right.

About 42% of all workers does not have a job.

I was trying to figure out how to come up with a number like that. I gave up and just used the whole population. How do you find a number for "workers"?

Obviously, those who are not working are not workers. How do you separate the unqualified from the qualified and what qualifies them?

The jobless rate drop to 8.6%, is matched by a 0.2% decline in the labor participation rate. The amount of workers dropped 315K from October while the number of people out of the labor force jumped 487K. We need approx. 135-50K jobs a month to match expansion of new entrants into the work force.

This is a sleepwalking number and frankly on the anemic side, lets see if the revise it up next month because if this is it, ala adding in the holiday hiring, its actual a terrible number.

It will be rah rahed by the
sheep.gif
here (at USMB as Mal alluded who will be along later), based on the usual slight of hand Government self promotion as to how they express a segment of the economy. I heard the temp hiring was decent but nothing to write home about.

And there's more. Looking into the numbers of jobs that were created, most of them were retail and hospitality, temporary boosts for the Holiday season. Which means positions they are going to eliminate in January.

...Unless FDR started WW2, he did not end the Depression...
LOL! You know, I have heard people blame the war on FDR but we've to to face the fact that Obama did not kill Osama and Nixon did not plant a flag on the moon.
nixnmoon.png

The UE3 dropped to 8.6%. Woo hoo!! Ass licking Obamites go into orgasmic spasms of joy. Obama runs out and calls it a "positive" sign. Chris Matthews squirts in his pants and Joy Behar shits herself!! It's a joyous day!! Woo Hoo!!! Threads "thanking" Obama start appearing on message boards across the country.

Reality: The UE3 dropped because of a shrinking workforce, not because the economy is creating new jobs. Simple math folks. If the workforce participation rate was the same as January 2009, the UE3 would be at 11%. The problem has become worse, not better. A shrinking workforce means a shrinking GDP and more pain for the middle class. It also means less revenue for the government, increasing our debt. Less income will go to Social Security and Medicare- increasing the burden on our economy. When you dig into the numbers and think this through, you realize that this is horrible news.

Why do so many Progressives lack the ability to think things through? Here are more "progressive" solutions to ponder.....

If Obama can shrink the work force by a few million more- the unemployment problem is solved!! :cuckoo:
If we raise the DUI limit we can solve the drunk driving problem!! :cuckoo:
If we lower the standards for a passing grade at school, we can solve the education problem!!! :cuckoo:

The UE3 dropped to 8.6%. Woo hoo!! Ass licking Obamites go into orgasmic spasms of joy. Obama runs out and calls it a "positive" sign. Chris Matthews squirts in his pants and Joy Behar shits herself!! It's a joyous day!! Woo Hoo!!! Threads "thanking" Obama start appearing on message boards across the country.

Reality: The UE3 dropped because of a shrinking workforce, not because the economy is creating new jobs. Simple math folks. If the workforce participation rate was the same as January 2009, the UE3 would be at 11%. The problem has become worse, not better. A shrinking workforce means a shrinking GDP and more pain for the middle class. It also means less revenue for the government, increasing our debt. Less income will go to Social Security and Medicare- increasing the burden on our economy. When you dig into the numbers and think this through, you realize that this is horrible news.

Why do so many Progressives lack the ability to think things through? Here are more "progressive" solutions to ponder.....

If Obama can shrink the work force by a few million more- the unemployment problem is solved!! :cuckoo:
If we raise the DUI limit we can solve the drunk driving problem!! :cuckoo:
If we lower the standards for a passing grade at school, we can solve the education problem!!! :cuckoo:
And if pigs had wings...

How dare all those boomers retire since Jan 2009. Don't they know they are supposed to work until they die so CON$ can bitch about inflated unemployment rates?

From your own link, twit

From the first link:

Social Security will be easiest entitlement to fix. A combination of raising the retirement age, increasing FICA which has not been raised since 1990 will extend the life of Social Security to the end of the century and beyond. Increasing the retirement age will also help Medicare.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back