Unemployment rate drops to 8.5%

Had a thread predicting there was going to be some robust hiring. There's been no real increase on corporate taxes, low regulations and record profits. The Bush tax cuts are expiring.

The whole idea of low tax, low regulation dogma..has failed. This may be window dressing to extend the cuts.

However, some corporate genius just came up with the epiphany that over the long term..shipping manufacturing overseas..is more expensive..over the long term.

:lol:

Had a thread predicting there was going to be some robust hiring. There's been no real increase on corporate taxes, low regulations and record profits. The Bush tax cuts are expiring.

The whole idea of low tax, low regulation dogma..has failed. This may be window dressing to extend the cuts.

However, some corporate genius just came up with the epiphany that over the long term..shipping manufacturing overseas..is more expensive..over the long term.

That's awesome.

Also wages are going up in China, making the U.S. more competitive.

If we had national health insurance, we would be even more competitive.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- American employers stepped up their hiring in December, bringing the unemployment rate down again.

The economy added 200,000 jobs in the month, the Labor Department reported Friday, closing out the year with 1.6 million jobs gained in 2011.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate fell to 8.5%, the lowest level since February 2009.

December jobs report: Hiring up, unemployment rate at 8.5% - Jan. 6, 2012

Wow !!! 8.5%!!!
That's back down to Jimmy Carter levels.
Well done Barry Sotero, or whatever the fuck your name is....

Woooo Hooooo, the Republicans are creating jobs. You know, those that were elected in 2010 to do just that. In spite if King 0bama, Prince Reid and Princess Pelosi. WTG, guys keep up the good work. You've stood your ground and Americans that can hire workers are seeing it.

A little over a year and they are doing what 0bama and his cronies couldn't do in three!!

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- American employers stepped up their hiring in December, bringing the unemployment rate down again.

The economy added 200,000 jobs in the month, the Labor Department reported Friday, closing out the year with 1.6 million jobs gained in 2011.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate fell to 8.5%, the lowest level since February 2009.

December jobs report: Hiring up, unemployment rate at 8.5% - Jan. 6, 2012

But the job market still has a long way to go to recover from the financial crisis. About 8.8 million jobs were lost since 2008, and less than a third of those have been gained back.
So, we are still 5.8 million jobs down... congrats.

Oh, unemployment drops a bit. No thanks to Obama and his shovel ready arse shoveling projects that bilked us out of billions.

Woooo Hooooo, the Republicans are creating jobs. You know, those that were elected in 2010 to do just that. In spite if King 0bama, Prince Reid and Princess Pelosi. WTG, guys keep up the good work. You've stood your ground and Americans that can hire workers are seeing it.

A little over a year and they are doing what 0bama and his cronies couldn't do in three!!

Its refreshing to see the GOP was right about the extending the tax cuts for the job creators.

Seems the GOP was right all along.

a trillion dollar stimulus and 2 years....NADA.

A GOP congress and an extension of the tax cuts and in less than a year.....good news arrives.

Of course, the left will never see it that way.

thank god for obama.

as he promised, his stimulus kept unemployment below eight per...

oops

Barack Obama's Stimulus Plan: Failing by Its Own Measure - TIME

Back in early January, when Barack Obama was still President-elect, two of his chief economic advisers — leading proponents of a stimulus bill — predicted that the passage of a large economic-aid package would boost the economy and keep the unemployment rate below 8%.

That is some good news

It looks like our republicans are going to have to start posting threads about how Obama had nothing to do with it

That is some good news

It looks like our republicans are going to have to start posting threads about how Obama had nothing to do with it

Obama had plenty to do with it. He is the President.

And I am grateful that he finally agreed with the GOP and extended the Bush tax cuts for the job creators.....for within a year, we are seeing it kick into gear nicely.

The stimulus worked.

I hate to point out the inconvenient, Chris...but if the stimulus "worked" then why did Germany's economy come back so much faster than ours with so much smaller amounts of money being pumped into their system? We spent a trillion dollars on "stimulus" that really didn't stimulate the economy at all long term. I suggest that our recovery would have followed essentially the same trajectory without spending that trillion dollars. I suggest that TARP is what was most responsible for halting the economic carnage and that the Obama Stimulus did very little other than protect certain groups favored by this Administration.

Economies rebound from recessions. The rate of that rebound is dependent on policy. In my opinon the policies of this Administration have hampered...not helped that rebound.

That is some good news

And I am grateful that he finally agreed with the GOP and extended the Bush tax cuts for the job creators.....for within a year, we are seeing it kick into gear nicely.

The "job creators" moved 50K factories overseas AFTER the Bush tax cuts.

They got a huge pile of cash now..and government coffers are running low. So..one of two things have to happen. The tax base goes up..or taxes on the wealthy.

Which do you think the 1% want to happen? This is window dressing.

The stimulus worked.

I hate to point out the inconvenient, Chris...but if the stimulus "worked" then why did Germany's economy come back so much faster than ours with so much smaller amounts of money being pumped into their system? We spent a trillion dollars on "stimulus" that really didn't stimulate the economy at all long term. I suggest that our recovery would have followed essentially the same trajectory without spending that trillion dollars. I suggest that TARP is what was most responsible for halting the economic carnage and that the Obama Stimulus did very little other than protect certain groups favored by this Administration.

Economies rebound from recessions. The rate of that rebound is dependent on policy. In my opinon the policies of this Administration have hampered...not helped that rebound.

-It's a smaller country.
-They weren't as heavily involved in the toxic assets as everyone else.
-They have a very small military.
-They aren't heavily involved in nation building.

By the way..they also have socialized medicine and very generous UE benefits.

That is some good news

The "job creators" moved 50K factories overseas AFTER the Bush tax cuts.

They got a huge pile of cash now..and government coffers are running low. So..one of two things have to happen. The tax base goes up..or taxes on the wealthy.

Which do you think the 1% want to happen? This is window dressing.

Just curious, Sallow...why can't we cut government's spending? You don't seem to even accept that as an alternative. Is government spending EVER going to get brought under control?

This from the same people that shipped guns to Mexico right?

This from the same people who say the USA is producing more oil than ever before right?

This from the same people who say the fence between the US and Mexico is "Practically Complete" right?

This from the same administration who said they wouldn't sign NDAA right?

This from the same administration who said they'd cut the deficit in half by the end of the first term right?

And knowing this, you still believe what they claim about the Unemployment Numbers huh?

Ok.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back