Unemployment Rate 14.5 %

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Just getting real on the unemployment figures and supplying some alternate links for y'all.

-----------------------------:wink_2:

Forget the official 8.2% unemployment rate. Take a hard look instead at what’s known as the U6 rate, which tracks not only those out of work but those who’ve essentially given up looking for work.

That rate stands at about 14.5%, or nearly double the official unemployment rate.

As economists digest the disappointing job numbers released Friday -- just 120,000 jobs added in March, well below expectations -- some say the U6 figure is the data point people should be focused on.

The official figure used by the Labor Department “leaves out a lot of people who’ve just given up,” said Aparna Mathur, a resident scholar and economist at the American Enterprise Institute.

The U6 number is derived from a household survey that includes people who are actually unemployed as well as those who haven’t looked for work in over four weeks, Mathur explained.

“If you’re unemployed and you haven’t been looking for work in the previous four weeks than you’re not considered part of the official unemployed,” she said. The U6 rate, meanwhile, “includes all of those people who are too discouraged to look for work.”

The 120,000 jobs added in March was the smallest increase since October and effectively killed momentum that had been growing in the labor markets since late last year. Forecasts had predicted nonfarm unemployment to rise by 203,000. The economy had added more than 200,000 jobs in each of the past two months.

Time to Focus on the Real Unemployment Rate | Fox Business

other links

Alternate Unemployment Charts

Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization

Thanks Bush, thanks Obama... Thanks Reps in congress and thanks Dems in congress... For blaming everyone and everything but themselves.

I have a great idea! Dems and Reps can do what they do best, start a new Government agency or entitlement to fix the problem! TA DA! Then 20-50 years later when that Program has grown 100x it's size and helps run incredible deficits (if we make it that far) both sides can blame everyone and everything but themselves, YAYAYAY!

Today it's Obama's fault. 4 years agro it was Bush's fault!

Thanks Bush, thanks Obama... Thanks Reps in congress and thanks Dems in congress... For blaming everyone and everything but themselves.

I have a great idea! Dems and Reps can do what they do best, start a new Government agency or entitlement to fix the problem! TA DA! Then 20-50 years later when that Program has grown 100x it's size and helps run incredible deficits (if we make it that far) both sides can blame everyone and everything but themselves, YAYAYAY!

No, 4 years ago it was the democratic congress' fault. 10 demerit points for going off the republican reservation.

No, 4 years ago it was the democratic congress' fault. 10 demerit points for going off the republican reservation.

Oh that's right! Unless you're a Democrat, then it's Republicans fault from 6 years ago or when Republicans took over the house 2 years ago!

It’s great how this works, you can always, and I do in fact mean always blame the other side. Shit, Obama had a HISTORIC super majority with Dems in the House and Senate and I kid you not you can fill a thread with people blaming the reason Obama didn’t save the country and real ANYTHING from the Bush era evil policies on the MINORITY Republicans…

Bush and his Super majority fucked things up, and Obama with his super majority made things worse… SO it kinda makes you wonder how voting either Rep or Dems in 2012 can make any difference… But most the people in the country and these boards will vote the same anyways!

What is the honest to God difference between Dems and Republicans based on policy that has been passed in the last 10 years...?

Oh that's right! Unless you're a Democrat, then it's Republicans fault from 6 years ago or when Republicans took over the house 2 years ago!

It’s great how this works, you can always, and I do in fact mean always blame the other side. Shit, Obama had a HISTORIC super majority with Dems in the House and Senate and I kid you not you can fill a thread with people blaming the reason Obama didn’t save the country and real ANYTHING from the Bush era evil policies on the MINORITY Republicans…

Bush and his Super majority fucked things up, and Obama with his super majority made things worse… SO it kinda makes you wonder how voting either Rep or Dems in 2012 can make any difference… But most the people in the country and these boards will vote the same anyways!

(snip) " SO it kinda makes you wonder how voting either Rep or Dems in 2012 can make any difference… But most the people in the country and these boards will vote the same anyways!"

Not so in 2010. Kind of gives you hope for the 2012 election.

(snip) " SO it kinda makes you wonder how voting either Rep or Dems in 2012 can make any difference… But most the people in the country and these boards will vote the same anyways!"

Not so in 2010. Kind of gives you hope for the 2012 election.

Yup.. but you're still left wondering if the Republicans have learned their lesson of the Bush years with their over spending and the resulting lack of faith in them by Republicans/conservatives.

Democrats don't seem to have that judgement, they'll vote Democrat candidates regardless of overspending and government waste but only criticize Republicans for it.

If Obama had a super-majority, how is it possible that the Republicans in the Senate set a filibuster record in 2009?

Just getting real on the unemployment figures and supplying some alternate links for y'all.

Forget the official 8.2% unemployment rate. Take a hard look instead at what’s known as the U6 rate, which tracks not only those out of work but those who’ve essentially given up looking for work.

Tell us what the real rate was under Reagan in October 1983.

Let's have a comparison here, if we are going to get "real".

That rate stands at about 14.5%, or nearly double the official unemployment rate.

As economists digest the disappointing job numbers released Friday -- just 120,000 jobs added in March, well below expectations -- some say the U6 figure is the data point people should be focused on.

The official figure used by the Labor Department “leaves out a lot of people who’ve just given up,” said Aparna Mathur, a resident scholar and economist at the American Enterprise Institute.

The U6 number is derived from a household survey that includes people who are actually unemployed as well as those who haven’t looked for work in over four weeks, Mathur explained.

“If you’re unemployed and you haven’t been looking for work in the previous four weeks than you’re not considered part of the official unemployed,” she said. The U6 rate, meanwhile, “includes all of those people who are too discouraged to look for work.”

The 120,000 jobs added in March was the smallest increase since October and effectively killed momentum that had been growing in the labor markets since late last year. Forecasts had predicted nonfarm unemployment to rise by 203,000. The economy had added more than 200,000 jobs in each of the past two months.

Time to Focus on the Real Unemployment Rate | Fox Business

other links

Alternate Unemployment Charts

Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization

The last president did this as well and I recall being made fun of for beinging it up while he was president.

They all suck.
People never learn.

If Obama had a super-majority, how is it possible that the Republicans in the Senate set a filibuster record in 2009?

bottom line...an extremist leftist agenda and no willingness to negotiate from the Democrats.

because you are not big on reading comprehension?

heres one for you; IF they didn't how did obamacare get passed in the senate?

bottom line...an extremist leftist agenda and no willingness to negotiate from the Democrats.

Nope, a Republican obstructionist minority that puts making Obama a one-term president a priority before governance.

because you are not big on reading comprehension?

heres one for you; IF they didn't how did obamacare get passed in the senate?

Bribed Republicans.

And there is the root of the problem GOVERNMENT.

Not at all, small mind. Government has its place. The root of the problem is always what it is: man's corrupted nature.

Forum List

Back