Unemployment Hits 4-Year Low

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
US Unemployment Claims Hit 4-Year Low of 357K - ABC News

By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER AP Economics Writer
WASHINGTON April 5, 2012 (AP)

The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment benefits fell to a four-year low last week, suggesting employers kept hiring in March at a healthy pace.

Weekly applications dropped 6,000 to a seasonally adjusted 357,000, the Labor Department said Thursday. That's the fewest since April 2008.

The four-week average, a less volatile measure, fell to 361,750, also the lowest in four years.

Applications have been steadily declining since last fall. The four-week average fell 4 percent in the January-March quarter, after dropping 8 percent in the final three months of last year.

When unemployment benefit applications drop consistently below 375,000, it usually signals that hiring is strong enough to lower the unemployment rate.

<Snip>

The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment benefits fell to a four-year low last week, suggesting employers kept hiring in March at a healthy pace.

Weekly applications dropped 6,000 to a seasonally adjusted 357,000, the Labor Department said Thursday. That's the fewest since April 2008.

The four-week average, a less volatile measure, fell to 361,750, also the lowest in four years.

Applications have been steadily declining since last fall. The four-week average fell 4 percent in the January-March quarter, after dropping 8 percent in the final three months of last year.

When unemployment benefit applications drop consistently below 375,000, it usually signals that hiring is strong enough to lower the unemployment rate.

<Snip>

CLAIMS decreased, still over 9% in Florida.

Unemployment numbers are the most abused and manipulated statistics out there. Say for example, unemployment could remain flat, but the bureau of labor would report a decrease in unemployment because over time they quit counting those who have been unemployed past a given time.

I don't mean to be a nay sayer but it is important to know how these statistics are compiled. Basically many unemployed people are not counted. A substantial amount.

I'm sure you already knew all of this, but for the average person who only hears "unemployment is going down" they might mistaken this as an improvement, when in fact it isn't a true indication as to how many people are without jobs.

Unemployment numbers are the most abused and manipulated statistics out there. Say for example, unemployment could remain flat, but the bureau of labor would report a decrease in unemployment because over time they quit counting those who have been unemployed past a given time.

I don't mean to be a nay sayer but it is important to know how these statistics are compiled. Basically many unemployed people are not counted. A substantial amount.

I'm sure you already knew all of this, but for the average person who only hears "unemployment is going down" they might mistaken this as an improvement, when in fact it isn't a true indication as to how many people are without jobs.

Creating 3.9 million private sector jobs in two years is an improvement no matter how you slice it.

Unemployment Hits 4-Year Low

<Snip>

CLAIMS, not Rate.

Dishonest OP Title much???
:eusa_boohoo:

Number of claims are going to drop as more and more people aren't eligible for benefits any longer.

But you knew that, didn't ya?!
:lol:

No they don't There's no time limit for being considered unemployed. If a person has looked for work in the previous 4 weeks, they are uneemployed, regardless of how long they've been unemployed.

It is important. Your error is one of the common ones.

Well, sure, but do you really want to count someone without a job who doesn't want a job as unemployed? That wouldn't give a good picture of the Labor Market.

$7.50 an hour is not a job, its some fuck stick gettin two for one, most of those jobs are low paying no benefit bull shit

Creating 3.9 million private sector jobs in two years is an improvement no matter how you slice it.

Not because of "shovel ready" stimulus jobs

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p4-vPrcDBo]Obama: Shovel Ready jobs not shovel ready - YouTube[/ame]

No they don't There's no time limit for being considered unemployed. If a person has looked for work in the previous 4 weeks, they are uneemployed, regardless of how long they've been unemployed.

Well, sure, but do you really want to count someone without a job who doesn't want a job as unemployed? That wouldn't give a good picture of the Labor Market.

This thread only concerns unemployment compensation claims. Those do change weekly as people become ineligible from time to claim them.

Further YOU are being dishonest. The US unemployment number of 8.2 percent is ONLY of those that are in a certain class. The true unemployment number is around 16 percent with another 20 percent under employed.

This thread only concerns unemployment compensation claims. Those do change weekly as people become ineligible from time to claim them.

Actually, it's first-time claims. People don't become ineligible for first-time claims

Further YOU are being dishonest. The US unemployment number of 8.2 percent is ONLY of those that are in a certain class. The true unemployment number is around 16 percent with another 20 percent under employed.

The U6 (which is 15, not 20) includes people working part-time for economic reasons. AKA under-employed.

This thread only concerns unemployment compensation claims.
But the post I was responding to was talking about Unemployment.

Links? Cites? Definitions? What the hell you mean by "certain class?" Try reading How the Government Measures Unemployment

<Snip>

Shadow Government Statistics : Home Page it's a depression people.. :redface:

I agree 3.9 million new private sector jobs is a good thing, but i wouldn't say "no matter how you slice it" because new jobs are only half of the unemployment equation...the other half being jobs lost....

I agree 3.9 million new private sector jobs is a good thing, but i wouldn't say "no matter how you slice it" because new jobs are only half of the unemployment equation...the other half being jobs lost....

3.9M is a net figure - it's jobs created in the private sector minus jobs lost in the private sector.

It's good no matter how you slice it.

During the last administration private payrolls fell by 646,000.

Precisely. The only reason the unemployment rate dropped is because there is a now a record high number of people removed from the labor force. The media is to blame for the manipulation as well for not explaining this to people and just touting the new %.

March NFP big miss at just 120K. Unemployment rate declines from 8.3% to 8.2%. Futures slide, for at least a few minutes before the NEW QE TM rumor starts spreading. The household survey actually posted a decline in March from 142,065 to 142,034. Considering Birth Death added 90K to the NSA number, the actual number was almost unchanged. And as always, as we predicted when Goldman hiked its NFP forecast yesterday from 175K to 200K saying "if Goldman's recent predictive track record is any indication, tomorrow's NFP will be a disaster", Goldie once again skewers everyone. Finally, Joe LaVorgna's +250,000 forecast was just 100% off... as usual.

The unemployment rate drops to 8.2% for one simple reason: the number of people not in the labor force is back to all time highs: 87,897,000.

NFP Big Miss: 120K, Expectations 205K, Unemployment 8.2%, "Not In Labor Force" At New All Time High | ZeroHedge

Precisely. The only reason the unemployment rate dropped is because there is a now a record high number of people removed from the labor force. The media is to blame for the manipulation as well for not explaining this to people and just touting the new %.

How exactly do you think they are "removed?"

Forum List

Back