Unemployment Funding: Which Is The Party of No?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
What might happen more with term limits and standing for what's right. He's not running...

Let's see, "Pass it and fund it with money from stimulus..." OR "Just pass the damn thing, we don't need money to cover..."

2,000 Furloughs Linked to Impasse in Congress - NYTimes.com

...In an effort to end the stalemate, Senator Jim Bunning, the Kentucky Republican who is insisting on a point of parliamentary procedure to block the legislation, offered to lift his objection if an agreement was made to use unspent economic stimulus money to cover the $10 billion cost of the unemployment aid, which would go to those who have already exhausted their benefits.

“We cannot keep adding to the debt,” Mr. Bunning said Monday. “It’s over $14 trillion and going up fast.”

But Democrats balked, saying that Republicans had not been concerned about requiring Bush administration initiatives to be paid for and that the unemployment aid amounted to an emergency....

The senator who dared believe in 'paygo'

The senator who dared believe in 'paygo'
Debra J. Saunders
Tuesday, March 2, 2010

In January, the Senate joined the House in passing "pay-as-you-go" rules to require Congress to pay for new discretionary spending. On Feb. 12, President Obama signed the bill. "Now Congress will have to pay for what it spends, just like everybody else," Obama crowed.

Less than a month later, Obama and fellow Democrats are busily demonizing a lone senator for pushing Washington to spend responsibly. It seems this administration is all for fiscal restraint - as long as you don't mean it...

It's impressive how posters here have been very happy to make Bunning out to be a monster who hates poor unemployed people. In fact, all he asked was that they do exactly what they are supposed to do. Fund it to spend it. Not rocket science, but apparently still above the intellectual pay grade of some on the left.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Truly, Bunning has exposed PayGo for the fraud that it is. It's too bad that all people care about these days is getting the government cheese and won't look past their own sense of entitlement to look at the larger message. It's disgusting actually. :eusa_sick:
The more appropriate thing to do, rather than complain about Bunning, would be for people to call their Senators and ask WHY they refuse to fulfill their commitment to PayGo and fund this bill.

Bunning has a great point... "If we can't find $10 billion to pay for something we all support, we will never pay for anything on the floor of this U.S. Senate" . He's right. If they can't fund a bill that they all feel motivated by... they won't ever fund anything.

We've got some problems right now in this country. But if you ask me... none of them are bigger than our debt problem. These people have got to quit spending. If they need that money, they need to move it from someplace where they need it less.

It's impressive how posters here have been very happy to make Bunning out to be a monster who hates poor unemployed people. In fact, all he asked was that they do exactly what they are supposed to do. Fund it to spend it. Not rocket science, but apparently still above the intellectual pay grade of some on the left.

Exactly. And meanwhile back at the ranch... they haven't bothered to demand that Congress KEEP ITS PROMISE on PayGo. They're spending without funding their bills... again. And somehow, Bunning is the bad guy? :rolleyes:

Hey, if it's important... let them take it out of the carve-outs they've set aside for their pet projects and giveaways in the Porkulus bill.

Hooray for Bunning. May he continue to pull these kinds of tricks. The more the better. Shut down the whole government the way Gingrinch tried to do. Yessirreee........ go, Bunning, go!

You right wing scum bags are like dogs chasing their tails. No matter how you spin, it's always the same story...punishment for the people that can least afford to be cut off or sent home from WORK without pay...it's never big defense contractors that have been caught numerous times defraud the government out of $billions or people like the almighty Senator from Kentucky who runs a scam operation to steal a hundred thousands of dollars a year with a phony corporation paying himself to signing his OWN autograph.

Suddenly the almighty Senator found a conscience...something he never found before in all his years in Washington, when he voted all of Bush's unfunded spending or Bush's tax cuts that cost Americans TWICE as much as the proposed health care reform.

A representative government relies on informed citizenry... as Albert Camus said, "It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners."

And a large segment of our population JUMP in line to put their mouth over the gas pipe.

How much support in Congress does Bunning have on this?

I don't know...how much does he need?

You right wing scum bags are like dogs chasing their tails. No matter how you spin, it's always the same story...punishment for the people that can least afford to be cut off or sent home from WORK without pay...it's never big defense contractors that have been caught numerous times defraud the government out of $billions or people like the almighty Senator from Kentucky who runs a scam operation to steal a hundred thousands of dollars a year with a phony corporation paying himself to signing his OWN autograph.

Suddenly the almighty Senator found a conscience...something he never found before in all his years in Washington, when he voted all of Bush's unfunded spending or Bush's tax cuts that cost Americans TWICE as much as the proposed health care reform.

A representative government relies on informed citizenry... as Albert Camus said, "It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners."

And a large segment of our population JUMP in line to put their mouth over the gas pipe.

Total bullshit. Everybody knows that Bunning is "retiring" because he HAS TO. He doesn't have the political support to run for reelection.
Under Pressure to Retire, Bunning Announces Plans to Quit Senate - washingtonpost.com

But even a clock is right twice a day. So... the big question for you libs... is WHY don't you have a fucking peep to say about the abandonment of PayGo??? :eusa_eh:
One can only assume that it was more of your usual subterfuge all along, and that Bunning is right... You didn't have any intention of actually funding your legislation.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
This is great! We need to reduce the size & scope of government, and reduce number of government employees.

More Bunning, Please!

Try not get over emotional about it, Bf. Some of us would just like them to do what they are supposed to to..... find the fucking money before they spend it! Not hard. They've increased the fucking debt enough.

And, since the taxpayer don't pay private sector pay, your stupid rant about big defense companies just makes you look dumb.

Those of us that think that Bunning is right to hold this Congress to the PAYGO bill THEY just passed and signed into law, need to show the man some support. I've called both my senators' offices requesting that they get behind this man's efforts. I've been trying to reach McConnell's office to no avail. The dems are sitting on a pile of borrowed stimulus money. They can use it for this.

Those of us that think that Bunning is right to hold this Congress to the PAYGO bill THEY just passed and signed into law, need to show the man some support. I've called both my senators' offices requesting that they get behind this man's efforts. I've been trying to reach McConnell's office to no avail. The dems are sitting on a pile of borrowed stimulus money. They can use it for this.

What I'm wondering... is how man of these libbies who are sooooo very concerned about this bill :rolleyes:, have called their Senators and told them to stop arguing with Bunning and FUND IT.

There comes a point in all of our lives when we "wake up". Maybe that's what Mr. Bunning has done. Maybe like me, he has come to see the evil in attaching one thing after another to each bill as it makes its way through the legislature. His tactics are already working; I have heard that as of this writing, the approval for unemployment benefits will be stripped from the bill and will stand alone in the legislature and is expected to pass.

Last edited:

Obviously a lot. They could just go ahead and take a straight vote on this rather than asking for unanimous consent, which is where Bunning is holding things up.
Why haven't they done that??

What I'm wondering... is how man of these libbies who are sooooo very concerned about this bill :rolleyes:, have called their Senators and told them to stop arguing with Bunning and FUND IT.

My guess would be...uh... NONE. This type of situation reminds me of going shopping with my kids as children. They'd have money on their pockets and yet expect me to spend MINE on whatever they wanted because they might want their money for later.

Labor Department says 400,000 will lose unemployment benefits in coming weeks if Congress doesn't act Anderson Independent Mail

By May, nearly 3 million people could be left without these benefits. If the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act subsidy under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is not extended, thousands of families will lose access to affordable health care, according to the statement.

If the extension is not approved, an estimated 500,000 workers who lose their jobs will be ineligible for subsidies to cover the cost of health care over this month. Over the rest of 2010, an estimated 5 million workers will be ineligible for the Recovery Act COBRA subsidy that covers 65 percent of the cost of coverage. Without this assistance, many of these families will be forced to join the ranks of the uninsured.

Last week, the U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed a bill to temporarily extend benefits — including unemployment insurance. In the Senate, however, Sen. Jim Bunning of Kentucky is blocking the extension. Senate leadership has called for the Senate to unanimously move this package on multiple occasions, Sen. Bunning has blocked the process each time.

------------------------------------

To those on the right, good news travels fast.

Labor Department says 400,000 will lose unemployment benefits in coming weeks if Congress doesn't act Anderson Independent Mail

By May, nearly 3 million people could be left without these benefits. If the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act subsidy under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is not extended, thousands of families will lose access to affordable health care, according to the statement.

If the extension is not approved, an estimated 500,000 workers who lose their jobs will be ineligible for subsidies to cover the cost of health care over this month. Over the rest of 2010, an estimated 5 million workers will be ineligible for the Recovery Act COBRA subsidy that covers 65 percent of the cost of coverage. Without this assistance, many of these families will be forced to join the ranks of the uninsured.

Last week, the U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed a bill to temporarily extend benefits — including unemployment insurance. In the Senate, however, Sen. Jim Bunning of Kentucky is blocking the extension. Senate leadership has called for the Senate to unanimously move this package on multiple occasions, Sen. Bunning has blocked the process each time.

------------------------------------

To those on the right, good news travels fast.

So, did YOU call your Senators and tell them to stop arguing with Bunning and fund the bill per their own PayGo rule? :eusa_eh:
I called mine. I did my part. Did you do yours?

The issue is the call for unanimous consent.
If they wanted to pass it like normal legislation, Bunning couldn't block anything. So why aren't they doing that?

Forum List

Back