Unemployment falls to 8.3%

In all seriousness - a genuine question...

Why do you guys still insist on using this number? (now 8.3%)
Even MSNBC acknowledged last month that the unemployment number is misleading at best, as it does not address the record number of employable people dropping out of the market - as well as removes the context that underemployment is a more serious problem than unemployment.

Please answer this question in a legitimate, specific way.

In order to understand the labor market and use any rational historical comparison, you have to use the same measurement now as you used in the past. If we changed the measure we wouldn't have any basis for understanding the extent of the problem.

It's absolutely astonishing how many of you are see easily fooled by bullshit. There is nothing good coming out of these unemployment numbers today. It's all smoke and mirrors. The fact is we have a record low of people participating in the work force now and they are no longer being counted, hence the lower numbers.

Record 1.2 Million People Fall Out Of Labor Force In One Month, Labor Force Participation Rate Tumbles To Fresh 30 Year Low | ZeroHedge

lol, that was based on a Census Bureau population adjustment. But carry on.

Even MSNBC acknowledged last month that the unemployment number is misleading at best, as it does not address the record number of employable people dropping out of the market - as well as removes the context that underemployment is a more serious problem than unemployment.

They use the number because it is easier than facing the reality that we have a stagnant economy going nowhere. It makes there candidate look like he is actually doing something to help the situation, even though he is the reason why we have the stagnation.

The whole thing really is silly because the people who are underemployed or stopped looking altogether will still be voting on Election Day and they aren't going to be fooled by these doctored, artificially low unemployment numbers.

I think anyone who uses the number without mentioning both the unreality of it, and in context with the much more serious problem of underemployment is disingenuous at best. Like I say, even MSNBC clarifies the number.

when unemployment is at 4.3% the administration does not clarify the number either.

It is like comparing apples to apples.....most of us compare the 8.3% number to the 4.3% number...

If they gave the "real" number...say 16.8%, (just tossing a number out there)....people will be comparing 16.3% to 4.3%.....and that would be comparing apples to oranges..

I see nothing wrong with being consistant...

They use the number because it is easier than facing the reality that we have a stagnant economy going nowhere. It makes their candidate look like he is actually doing something to help the situation, even though he is the reason why we have the stagnation.

The whole thing really is silly because the people who are underemployed or stopped looking altogether will still be voting on Election Day and they aren't going to be fooled by these doctored, artificially low unemployment numbers.

There are 2.3 million more jobs than there were at this time last year. You've got to have your head in a pretty deep hole not to see that as improvement.

The recovery continues....

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- American employers substantially stepped up their hiring in January, bringing the unemployment rate down for the fifth month in a row.

Employers added 243,000 jobs in January, the Labor Department reported Friday, marking a pick-up in hiring from December, when the economy added 203,000 jobs.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate fell to 8.3%. That is the lowest since February 2009.

Job growth was much stronger than expected. Economists surveyed by CNNMoney had forecast 130,000 jobs added in the month, and that the unemployment rate likely ticked up to 8.6%.

January jobs report: Hiring ramps up, unemployment falls - Feb. 3, 2012

Record 1.2 Million People Fall Out Of Labor Force In One Month, Labor Force Participation Rate Tumbles To Fresh 30 Year Low

Record 1.2 Million People Fall Out Of Labor Force In One Month, Labor Force Participation Rate Tumbles To Fresh 30 Year Low | ZeroHedge

.4% (.3% SA) is a "tumble"?

I think you're certifiable

They use the number because it is easier than facing the reality that we have a stagnant economy going nowhere. It makes there candidate look like he is actually doing something to help the situation, even though he is the reason why we have the stagnation.

I think anyone who uses the number without mentioning both the unreality of it, and in context with the much more serious problem of underemployment is disingenuous at best. Like I say, even MSNBC clarifies the number.

when unemployment is at 4.3% the administration does not clarify the number either.

It is like comparing apples to apples.....most of us compare the 8.3% number to the 4.3% number...

If they gave the "real" number...say 16.8%, (just tossing a number out there)....people will be comparing 16.3% to 4.3%.....and that would be comparing apples to oranges..

I see nothing wrong with being consistant...

Stop making sense.:eusa_hand:

In order to understand the labor market and use any rational historical comparison, you have to use the same measurement now as you used in the past. If we changed the measure we wouldn't have any basis for understanding the extent of the problem.

Sorry...I didnt see this post of yours...and I said the same thing a few posts later.

Must be consistant...or most of us wouyldnt be able to understand.

Record 1.2 Million People Fall Out Of Labor Force In One Month, Labor Force Participation Rate Tumbles To Fresh 30 Year Low

Does data scare you, Frank?

Do you know that the baseline changed, Frank, as it does every January?

Still a long way to go but glad to see that it didn't jump up after the holiday season ended.

Still a long way to go but glad to see that it didn't jump up after the holiday season ended.

Not to be downer....but I used to cater to the retail industry for the holiday's...I furnished them with the seasonal help...trained them and processed their payroll...

Most worked through January 15th of each year (or the following Sunday of the 15th). Then we would have about 10% stay on through the end of January to assist with inventory and preparation for Presidents Day.

The February numbers are what we need to see.

Sorry - that is incorrect.
In the interest of accurate comparisons, anything that skews the accuracy of data should ALWAYS have that asterisk...and any genuine statistician, economist, mathematician etc. also - ALWAYS includes at least a footnote of extenuating circumstances - and then also supplies the graph with that circumstance appreciated.

Sorry...I didnt see this post of yours...and I said the same thing a few posts later.

Must be consistant...or most of us wouyldnt be able to understand.

The US population is ~310,000,000
Total US employment is ~133,000,000

(310-133)/310 = .57

Oh my gobser berzerker! Teh unemploimint rate has gon up from 7% to 57% since 2008!

Does data scare you, Frank?

Do you know that the baseline changed, Frank, as it does every January?

Obama scares me. Clueless "economists" who give him support scare me.

We're doing great, Bro.

Unemployment and food stamps are stimulating the economy as are the record deficits.

People are dropping out of the labor market because they just wanted to try something different than being employed, amiright?

In the interest of accurate comparisons, anything that skews the accuracy of data should ALWAYS have that asterisk...and any genuine statistician, economist, mathematician etc. also - ALWAYS includes at least a footnote of extenuating circumstances - and then also supplies the graph with that circumstance appreciated.

ONLY if there was an asterisk also with the lower number when unempoloyment wasnt an issue.

They use the number because it is easier than facing the reality that we have a stagnant economy going nowhere. It makes their candidate look like he is actually doing something to help the situation, even though he is the reason why we have the stagnation.

The U-6 number, which includes the above, is at 15.1%

That's a 36 month low.

Not to be downer....but I used to cater to the retail industry for the holiday's...I furnished them with the seasonal help...trained them and processed their payroll...

Most worked through January 15th of each year (or the following Sunday of the 15th). Then we would have about 10% stay on through the end of January to assist with inventory and preparation for Presidents Day.

The February numbers are what we need to see.

The actual raw number of jobs did decline in January. It will probably happen in February as well

A "genuine economist" did offer a footnote. Actually, the genuine economists offered reams and reams of footnotes, supporting documentation and alternative measures of employment. They also supplied lots of pretty graphs.

Forum List

Back