Unemployment By State Tax Rate & Unionization

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Much more at site. Interesting number crunching:

The Volokh Conspiracy - -

[Jim Lindgren, April 22, 2009 at 1:18am] Trackbacks
High Unemployment States Have High Income Taxes or High Unionization or Both. As the nation considers increasing marginal tax rates and facilitating greater union membership, I thought it might make sense to look at the states with the highest and lowest unemployment rates to see if there might be any relevant patterns.
The six states with the highest unemployment rates are:

12.6% Michigan

12.1% Oregon

11.4% South Carolina

11.2% California

10.8% North Carolina

10.5% Rhode Island

The six states with the lowest unemployment rates are:

5.2% Iowa

5.2% Utah

4.9% South Dakota

4.6% Nebraska

4.5% Wyoming

4.2% North Dakota

Oregon is about to go into hyper tax state. I know they will be pushing a sales tax. Then there's the corporate minimum tax they have been looking at raising for years.

It's gonna go from bad to worse in Oregon.

Oregon is about to go into hyper tax state. I know they will be pushing a sales tax. Then there's the corporate minimum tax they have been looking at raising for years.

Can you show me a state that fell apart because they taxed too much?

And did you see this?

Four states dominate city foreclosure rankings - Mortgage Mess- msnbc.com

Nevada, Arizona, Florida and California.

And did you see this?

Foreclosure rates have nothing to do with taxes.

Another BooBoo non sequitur

And did you see this?

In three of those four states, the entire mess can be blamed on overbuilding and over-speculation, plain and simple. California's problems are probably more complex than that.

There might be a link between taxes and unionization and unemployment, but there are other more powerful forces driving those numbers.

For example, most of the lowest unemployment states have low unemployment because the farm economy has been doing relatively better than the rest of the economy. Michigan is reeling because of the decline in the auto industry, which is effected by unionization but not taxation. California is getting hammered because of the collapse in real estate.

It is interesting to note that the two states which are the hubs of venture capital and the commercialization of innovation are both high tax states - California and Massachusetts.

And did you see this?

Foreclosure rates have nothing to do with taxes.

Another BooBoo non sequitur
thats all he ever does
LOL

Conservatives definetely have the right idea about taxes.

It's too bad they never had any discipline with spending.

Economic Conservatives are more like what their name says (well, most are), they conserve, stop spending not spend more. Economic Liberals are the opposite, just lately they haven't been spending in the right places at all. Republican and Democrat leaders are just going hog wild with our taxes, which is why I think it's time to say no more taxes. They have enough coming in to do a good job, they just aren't now and the job market is suffering from that.

Economic wise, I am with the conservatives all the way, less spending so we can have less taxes, and end all the wasteful spending that keeps making matters worse.

Economic Conservatives are more like what their name says (well, most are), they conserve, stop spending not spend more. Economic Liberals are the opposite, just lately they haven't been spending in the right places at all. Republican and Democrat leaders are just going hog wild with our taxes, which is why I think it's time to say no more taxes. ....

"hog wild with taxes"? The top tax rate is now 35% if you make over $350k.

If that is hog wild with taxes what would you call it the 1950s, when the top rate was 91%?

Economic Conservatives are more like what their name says (well, most are), they conserve, stop spending not spend more. Economic Liberals are the opposite, just lately they haven't been spending in the right places at all. Republican and Democrat leaders are just going hog wild with our taxes, which is why I think it's time to say no more taxes. ....

If that is hog wild with taxes what would you call it the 1950s, when the top rate was 91%?

No, I guess you need to have very specific language to understand:

They went hog wild in spending the taxes and collecting more debt so they will have to raise the taxes even more to cover their asses.

those differences in rates also have other changes in the tax codes
a lot of deductions have been removed
so you can not say that someone paying in the 91 percentile in the 1950s would have paid more than someone today in the 35 percentile

so you can not say that someone paying in the 91 percentile in the 1950s would have paid more than someone today in the 35 percentile

Generally, they did though, at least federal tax.

When Republican Dwight Eisenhower was president, the marginal rate on the highest earners was 91 percent (after deductions and tax credits, closer to 50 percent)

Robert Reich's Blog: A Short Citizen's Guide to Kooks, Demagogues, and Right-Wingers On Tax Day

I believe that in some states, including state and city income tax, the rate is approaching 50%.

Sure you can. Yeah there were lots more deductions so that a guy making $350k today wouldn't be paying the top rate. The marginal rate escalated up for the really wealthy, around a couple million or so in today's dollars.

Last edited:

Generally, they did though, at least federal tax.

When Republican Dwight Eisenhower was president, the marginal rate on the highest earners was 91 percent (after deductions and tax credits, closer to 50 percent)

Robert Reich's Blog: A Short Citizen's Guide to Kooks, Demagogues, and Right-Wingers On Tax Day
but thats not including the OTHER taxes that are paid
and i mean federal as well
a lot of those have either gone up or there are new ones that werent around in the 1950's

Sure you can. Yeah there were lots more deductions so that a guy making $350k today wouldn't be paying the top rate. The marginal rate escalated up for the really wealthy, around a couple million or so in today's dollars.
the person in the $350k range wouldnt have the same deductions as back in the 1950's

the person in the $350k range wouldnt have the same deductions as back in the 1950's

I'm not an expert, but I think there were numerous deductions and credits you could take back then, credit card expenses, business lunches, club fees, on and on, many of which were eliminated particularly in the Tax Simplification Act in 1986.

Forum List

Back