unemployment benifts for non-citizens....

Toro,
you are correct....you need to pay into it to be able to get benefits.

My husband is not a US citizen and has been in the US and working, paying taxes and paying into unemployment for over 15 yrs.......BUT he cannot collect unemployment benefits, which is entirely unfair. I understand about people being upset if illegals being paid under the table can receive benefits, but they can't since they don't pay into the system. Also, we hit some hard times and I had to apply for foodstamps last year, and his income was counted, be he was not counted as a family member since he's not a citizen, so I couldn't qualify because his income was to high because they didn't count him as a family member....we would have qualified if they did count him.

Anyhow.....

I believe you have to have 40 quarters of taxable income before you qualify for medicare. It may be the same with unemployment.

But my favorite is...and it has nothing to do with this thread but I heard the WH say this yesterday...

"the president is till collecting data to make a decision on Afghanistan"

Really? In this age of the internet, he is still waiting for data? Is UPS late with delivering the package with the data?"

It is pathetic how naive the administration believes the American People are.

Oh honey! their best by far this week in supposing we just swallow the cool aid is this one "The Ayers and the Wright who are on the WH guest list are not the same Bill Ayers and Jeramiah Wright." :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It shouldn't matter even if they are legal. Isn't the purpose of a "work visa" that they have a job? If they are unemployed their visa should be void.

Am I missing something?

It shouldn't matter even if they are legal. Isn't the purpose of a "work visa" that they have a job? If they are unemployed their visa should be void.

Am I missing something?

what about the fact they pay into unemployment? My father has a lady who works for him, she is a temp seasonal employee, pays into unemployment along with union fees, has a home here but hey during the slow season when she gets laid off for a month I guess she should move back to Canada.
And you want to know why she hasn't become a citizen?
I will give you a hint, it has to do with health care.

ok maybe it is just me.....but in the bill they are working on to extend unemployment benefits....they are talking about adding an amendment to prevent passing out benefits to non citizens....

you are kidding right....they broke the law to get here....the broke the law to take a job.....they broke the law by not paying taxes....an they currently can get unemployment....

guess it would be racist to exclude them from the dole....

carry on...

I guess we could always do like Reagan did and make them all citizens. That would fix it, right?

Yep Just like the benefits aren't in the healthcare bill. Take notice of all those that oppose E-verify. They have an agenda.

same thing with abortion.
I loved what the WH siad yesterday...

"they are trying to come up with wording in thebill that will appease the GOP as it pertains to abortions NOT being covered in the bill.

I have an idea...why not...

"abortions are not to be paid for by tax payer money"

and..

"proof of citizenship must be presented to be covered in the bill"

Is that so difficult?

Yes, there's no loophole.

Am I missing something?

A work visa, yes. But Permanent Resident (green card holder) status is not employment related.

I believe unemployment varies in different states, but in NJ this is how it works:

In 2009, New Jersey state unemployment insurance tax is based on the first $28,900 of wages. The starting rate for a new employer is 2.6825%. There is also an additional workforce development charge of .1175%.

Unlike most states, there is also an employee SUTA contribution of .3825%, plus a workforce charge of .0425%, resulting in a net employee charge of .425%.

After the first year, the rate is different for each employer, depending on past layoff history.

The EMPLOYER pays approx 3% and the EMPLOYEE only pays .425%. So people are not collecting THEIR OWN money. And the employer is assessed a surcharge for every employee that collects. In NJ, fraud is rampant and seasonal workers live on unemployment all winter.

My heart bleeds for the people who have contributed for 20 years and now find themselves unemployed for the first time. But the pot is running dry, and its time to stop the gravy train for the slackers. The system is designed as a safety net - not a lifestyle. I propose lifetime caps.

As long as the immigrant is legal - has legal residency in form of a green card - he/she should be able to receive unemployment benefits.

I don't believe illegals can get unemployment benefits as one needs a real and working social security number to do so. Illegals cannot get a social security number legally and I doubt a fake social security number would do the job once processed through a variety of databases that should confirm its legality.

If anyone knows illegals can claim unemployment benefits - as well as welfare - I'd like you to demonstrate to me how they can claim them ...

I am really interested in the topic and I'm being serious.

My husband has worked here for 15 yrs, legally, has a SSN and cannot get unemployment benefits. He wants to become a citizen but it's expensive and he can't afford it right now.

My husband has worked here for 15 yrs, legally, has a SSN and cannot get unemployment benefits. He wants to become a citizen but it's expensive and he can't afford it right now.

Does he have a green card or some sort of a legal residency card? What kind of visa did he arrive into the country on? All these might be key to finding out why he can't ...

Yep Just like the benefits aren't in the healthcare bill. Take notice of all those that oppose E-verify. They have an agenda.

same thing with abortion.
I loved what the WH siad yesterday...

"they are trying to come up with wording in thebill that will appease the GOP as it pertains to abortions NOT being covered in the bill.

I have an idea...why not...

"abortions are not to be paid for by tax payer money"

and..

"proof of citizenship must be presented to be covered in the bill"

Is that so difficult?

Start with barry.

It cost me just a shade under $3000 to get my green card (costs for processing the application, plus costs for all the medical tests). How much does it cost to become a citizen (not that I'm going to bother)?

I still find it rather annoying that I had to have an aids test when I applied for my green card. In theory, I now have to disclose that fact when I apply for medical insurance, which leads to the assumption that I'm in a high-risk group.

It cost me just a shade under $3000 to get my green card (costs for processing the application, plus costs for all the medical tests). How much does it cost to become a citizen (not that I'm going to bother)?

I still find it rather annoying that I had to have an aids test when I applied for my green card. In theory, I now have to disclose that fact when I apply for medical insurance, which leads to the assumption that I'm in a high-risk group.

Yeah! Mother'uckers tested me for AIDS and syphilis and gave me a tetanus shot before they gave my card :D Asswipes :) And they made me pay for all that too ... :eek: Water under ze bridge, now my green card is expired anyway. :smoke: (no, I don't live in the US anymore ... disclaimer for all the gung-ho anti-immigrationists)

Forum List

Back