unemployment benifts for non-citizens....

manu1959

Left Coast Isolationist
Oct 28, 2004
california
ok maybe it is just me.....but in the bill they are working on to extend unemployment benefits....they are talking about adding an amendment to prevent passing out benefits to non citizens....

you are kidding right....they broke the law to get here....the broke the law to take a job.....they broke the law by not paying taxes....an they currently can get unemployment....

guess it would be racist to exclude them from the dole....

carry on...

ok maybe it is just me.....but in the bill they are working on to extend unemployment benefits....they are talking about adding an amendment to prevent passing out benefits to non citizens....

you are kidding right....they broke the law to get here....the broke the law to take a job.....they broke the law by not paying taxes....an they currently can get unemployment....

carry on...

I get a kick out of the democratic majority with things like this.

like...

"illegals will not be covered in the healthcare bill"...and when the republicans say "lets put an ammendment in there that specifies it..."

They respond with...

"it is not necessary so we will not draft such an ammendment..."

a 2000 page bill and one extra paragraph to ensure something is voted down?

I wonder why that is.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Yep Just like the benefits aren't in the healthcare bill. Take notice of all those that oppose E-verify. They have an agenda.

same thing with abortion.
I loved what the WH siad yesterday...

"they are trying to come up with wording in thebill that will appease the GOP as it pertains to abortions NOT being covered in the bill.

I have an idea...why not...

"abortions are not to be paid for by tax payer money"

and..

"proof of citizenship must be presented to be covered in the bill"

Is that so difficult?

But my favorite is...and it has nothing to do with this thread but I heard the WH say this yesterday...

"the president is till collecting data to make a decision on Afghanistan"

Really? In this age of the internet, he is still waiting for data? Is UPS late with delivering the package with the data?"

It is pathetic how naive the administration believes the American People are.

carry on...

It's not you. It's pretty dumb.

However, isn't unemployment insurance based upon the amount you paid into it? Having never been on American UI, I know nothing about it. In Canada, you can't collect UI unless you pay into it, and the more you pay into it, the more you get. I thought that is how it worked here to. Maybe not.

Toro,
you are correct....you need to pay into it to be able to get benefits.

My husband is not a US citizen and has been in the US and working, paying taxes and paying into unemployment for over 15 yrs.......BUT he cannot collect unemployment benefits, which is entirely unfair. I understand about people being upset if illegals being paid under the table can receive benefits, but they can't since they don't pay into the system. Also, we hit some hard times and I had to apply for foodstamps last year, and his income was counted, be he was not counted as a family member since he's not a citizen, so I couldn't qualify because his income was to high because they didn't count him as a family member....we would have qualified if they did count him.

Anyhow.....

carry on...

um sorry to state the obvious but there is a lot of people who work here on visa and pay into unemployment.

carry on...

It's not you. It's pretty dumb.

However, isn't unemployment insurance based upon the amount you paid into it? Having never been on American UI, I know nothing about it. In Canada, you can't collect UI unless you pay into it, and the more you pay into it, the more you get. I thought that is how it worked here to. Maybe not.

No, unemployment insurance is not based on the amount you pay into it. Employees don't pay anything into unemployment funds. That money is collected from all employers based on their payrolls. An employee often draws against the amount of money in an employers account, unless they were fired for just cause or had quit their job. If they were fired or quit, they can still draw benefits from the general fund, it just can't be charged back to their previous employer.

The amount an employee can draw is based on their average wages for the 4 quarters prior to their becoming jobless.

carry on...

Have to have a social security number to collect unemployment, just arrest the illegal ones for that. As for all non citizens, they are all not illegal. My mother in law ( doesn't work) has a green card, she is not a citizen.

My husband has a social security # and he can't get unemployment benefits.

IF he has a legal green card granting him permission to work in the USA, AND, he has a SSN, there is no reason why he should not be able to collect unemployment benefits if he has worrked the required number of hours in his benefit period.

Could it be he does not have enough hours worked to qualify--rather than his immigration status that is preventing him from collecting benefits?

carry on...

Doesn't non-citizen include people who are here legally but are not yet citizens?

carry on...

Doesn't non-citizen include people who are here legally but are not yet citizens?

...and people who are here legally but have no intention of becoming citizens.

Forum List

Back