Unemployment Battle

Mike03

Rookie
Mar 18, 2009
Hey how's everyone doing? hope everyone is doing well..

Anyways, I'm new here and I think this would be the best place to post this thread and get some good answers and opinions.

I am a former construction worker for a small construction company (self-owned), I was fired the first time last July (asked nicely for my job back and he thankfully gave it back to me) (no reason why I was fired the 1st time) and then last September I was fired for good. Currently I am a college student, worked every summer for the past 3 years, never missed work never was late, never treated him with any disrespect so on so forth. And what I was told why I was fired was that I was not fitted for the job, did not have the overall skills for the job. And I was OK with this and somewhat understood where he was coming from but I was always willing to learn. To make a long story short I won my case which enabled me unemployment and possible extension. But about a month ago the owner's wife seen my father out and asked if I was still collecting unemployment, which I currently am, and she told him to tell me to get a job. And then I seen her at a local bank and she basically told me the same thing (both in a jokingly manner I knew she might of been somewhat joking but behind it she meant it). And then I get a call from the owner asking if I still collecting and told me since I am paying your unemployment you might as well come work for me again (although he told me before that I didn't have the skills for the job..)

My question is something isn't flying straight here doesn't something seem "fishy" in this situation? And can my former employer pressure me to "work for him again".. I have tried to get a job elsewhere different line of work but came up with nothing. Can anything be done about him hassling me etc.?

All answers and opinions are welcomed..

Thanks

Tell them to go fuck themselves, unless you're hoping they'll hire you back again.

Honestly, this doesn't make much sense. If you are giving us an accurate picture of the situation, I would not trust going back to work for them. The premise that they are paying your unemployment is false to begin with. Unemployment is drawn from an insurance pool which every employer pays into. Where an employer is affected is in the rates they pay. Rates increase and decrease based on the amount of unemployment collected by former employees. So the worst you are doing to them is to increase their rates for the next few years.

ACtually I DO think that companies which lay off workers end up paying for that.

Perhaps I have been misinformed?

First off, what state are you in? Different states have different rules for unemployment.

Second, Don't go back to work for him or he will (assuming your state reflects mine) terminate your employment in a way that keeps you from receiving unemployment. You are not obligated to go back to work for him. If there is bad blood then you would be gambling to go back.

Truthfully, it's none of their concern after they terminate your employment. I'd disregard their input and go about your business.

Forum List

Back